Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for Fall 2021

AllenL

Hi,

I'm a transfer student from an unknown university in Asia and have been at a U.S. public university for two years. Could you please help me do a profile evaluation? Thanks in advance!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 20 Econ Department, Econ double Math with Stat minor.

Econ major at the unknown university in Asia.

Cumulative GPA: 4.0/4.0

Cumulative GPA at previous university: 3.5/5

GRE: Haven't taken yet. Probably get 168+Q and 155+ V.

Math Courses:

Linear Algebra (A), Multivariable calculus (A), Probability I/II (A), Intro to proof (A), Mathematical analysis (Baby Rudin) (IP)

Econ Courses:

Intermediate Microeconomics & Macroeconomics (A), Trade (A), Cost-Benefit Analysis (A), Econometrics(IP), Micro Analysis I/II (IP), Development (IP)

Other Courses:

C++(A), Regression analysis (A)

All courses above are taken in the U.S.

Letters of Recommendation:

1) Chairman of the department. Have taken classes and RAed for 2 semesters.

2) Instructor of the Micro Analysis. Full Professor.

3) New Assistant Professor at an overall top 40 university (unranked in Econ). She graduated from our department and I am doing research with her at present.

Research Experience:

One year of RA experience in the department.

Teaching Experience:

TAed 3 semesters for the Intermediate Macro.

Programming skills:

Python, C++, R, Latex, Stata

Other:

Awarded a scholarship from the Econ Department.

I wish to receive an offer from a top 20 or top 30 graduate schools. Do you think it is reasonable?

Thanks again for your advice!

Top 30 definitely seems possible, but Top 20 might be stretching it a bit without some graduate coursework and/or a pre-doctoral RA stint with a strong letter coming from that experience. You might try for 1 or 2 Top 20 shots, I wouldn't rule it out completely, but those are much more competitive and many applicants have letters from faculty teaching at Top 10-20 schools.

Top 30 definitely seems possible, but Top 20 might be stretching it a bit without some graduate coursework and/or a pre-doctoral RA stint with a strong letter coming from that experience. You might try for 1 or 2 Top 20 shots, I wouldn't rule it out completely, but those are much more competitive and many applicants have letters from faculty teaching at Top 10-20 schools.

Please ignore the worthless advice above.

You are at a top 20 econ department with a 4.0 average and a year as an RA. That can get you into a top 5 if your letters are outstanding. If your letters are simply strong, then you are still an excellent candidate at top 20 schools.

You are at a top 20 econ department with a 4.0 average and a year as an RA. That can get you into a top 5 if your letters are outstanding. If your letters are simply strong, then you are still an excellent candidate at top 20 schools.

Definitely agreed with this one. You may think of taking PhD micro from your current institution for the extra signalling if you desire.

Thanks for your advice! I think the letter from the chair will be outstanding but the other two are simply strong.

By the way, what do you think about the impact of COVID? The chairman told me that a lot of departments already decided to admit fewer students than usual years. I'm also concerned about this.

Definitely agreed with this one. You may think of taking PhD micro from your current institution for the extra signalling if you desire.

Thanks for your advice!

I'm currently taking the undergraduate level Micro so I'm afraid I can't take the PhD Micro in the meantime.

By the way, what do you think about the impact of COVID? The chairman told me that a lot of departments already decided to admit fewer students than usual years. I'm also concerned about this.

I posted about this question a few months ago, I'm pretty worried about this too... like Startz says above, I think knowing how dramatic the effect will be is impossible, so if you're set on applying this cycle (I decided I am) the best thing is probably just to put it out of mind and focus on making the strongest applications possible across a broad range of programs.