Urch Forums

2021 Sweat Thread

tm_member

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for starting this. What is everyone doing in this waiting period? I have a full time job but feel like I should start revising math and some of my master's courses.

Same, working and stressing out lol. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to do some math in my free time but I feel like I won't be able to really focus on that until I have an acceptance in hand and relax a bit. So I'm working on my French instead.

For some reason it's easier for me to break time down by weekends... six more weekends, six more Mondays, and then it's the beginning of February and we'll start getting results. Take it easy everyone and good luck!

Also, beginning of February?! That's really early - is that actually when results come in?

From what I've seen, seems like most schools state decisions will be out around March (just trying to keep my expectations low), but Stanford at least say they anticipate releasing decisions mid-January, which is crazy early. See the 3rd question in their admissions FAQs here: Frequently Asked Questions | Department of Economics

Same, working and stressing out lol. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to do some math in my free time but I feel like I won't be able to really focus on that until I have an acceptance in hand and relax a bit. So I'm working on my French instead.

For some reason it's easier for me to break time down by weekends... six more weekends, six more Mondays, and then it's the beginning of February and we'll start getting results. Take it easy everyone and good luck!

Same, I told myself I'm going to work through stuff like Simon and Blume or some Schaum's outlines, but idk if I can get up the motivation until I get an acceptance (if any lol) — working on a totally orthogonal skill like French sounds like a great idea though!

Also, beginning of February?! That's really early - is that actually when results come in?

So I went through this whole process two years ago. I got my first acceptance at the very end of January, and starting in February there were several schools sending out offers every week, accelerating as the month went on. It's true official decision dates aren't until March, but it's a process to send out acceptances, gauge interest, and then send out more acceptances/waitlists as necessary -- schools don't want to send out too many or too few. By early to mid-March I guess the vast majority of programs have sent out their first round of offers.

You can check this against prior year sweat threads and against Grad Cafe results, I'm pretty sure this is an accurate description of the timeline. I'm pretty anxious already, but I'm not really expecting to hear anything until that first week in February at the earliest.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey anyone else not having their GRE for Booth show up as received on their profile? All other programs I applied to including Chicago Econ have received my scores. I checked Booth's codes, and I definitely sent it to the right place. Should I contact them?

Mine also says awaiting on the status page although I sent GRE scores awhile ago and ETS says they've been sent. Most likely the administrator who matches scores to applications hasn't gone through their database yet so it's probably not cause for concern, but if you do contact Booth please let me know what they say.

Anyone alse on the same boat with Yale?

Yale's portal says my GRE has been received as of 12/9/2020, which happens to be the date I sent it to their institution code (3987). I submitted my application on 12/14 for what it's worth.

My GRE is still "awaiting" at Booth too.

Yale's portal says my GRE has been received as of 12/9/2020, which happens to be the date I sent it to their institution code (3987). I submitted my application on 12/14 for what it's worth.

My GRE is still "awaiting" at Booth too.

Thanks! I submitted my scores on 10/30, my application on 12/14 and still nothing. Did you add the department code (1801)? I did, no idea if it makes any difference whatsoever.

Thanks! I submitted my scores on 10/30, my application on 12/14 and still nothing. Did you add the department code (1801)? I did, no idea if it makes any difference whatsoever.

Hm, that's weird. I did not include the department code when it sent it, but I can't imagine that makes a big difference. Maybe it is worth checking in with them by email?

I applied to masters, not PhDs, but I just got my first rejection from Bocconi ESS :(

And I thought this was going to be one of my safeties... I guess at the end of the day this was an experiment to see if I could switch from IR to econ through grad school, and it seems like the answer is not really.

And I thought this was going to be one of my safeties... I guess at the end of the day this was an experiment to see if I could switch from IR to econ through grad school, and it seems like the answer is not really.

There's a lot of noise and randomness in grad school admissions and I think it's super possible to get rejected from a "safety" (almost no such thing, right?) and then get into a school you thought would be more competitive. head up!

• Erin featured this topic
  • Erin unpinned this topic