See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 77 of 79 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Sweat Thread

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2021 Sweat Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEconGuy10 View Post
    I'm currently deciding between two programs that are virtually tied in all rankings. What are some factors you would recommend considering before making a decision? Things beyond the obvious (program structure, location, stipend, quality of life, faculty friendliness, etc).
    Research interest fit!! Here's an intensive but useful thing to do. Go through *every* faculty listed on each department, make a list of the ones whose research fits with your interests. I did this for two programs that everyone agreed were equally ranked and equal on most dimensions. I found that one of them had 15 mid-career professors I would be excited to work with, while the other had only 5. This strips away all the marketing and generic information and zeroes in on the things you care about.

Corollary: do not coin flip until you feel like you have gathered all the information that is relevant to you. It's very easy to feel like you have all the info after visit days, but you definitely don't.

monetary

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by therealslimkt View Post
    Research interest fit!! Here's an intensive but useful thing to do. Go through *every* faculty listed on each department, make a list of the ones whose research fits with your interests. I did this for two programs that everyone agreed were equally ranked and equal on most dimensions. I found that one of them had 15 mid-career professors I would be excited to work with, while the other had only 5. This strips away all the marketing and generic information and zeroes in on the things you care about.

Corollary: do not coin flip until you feel like you have gathered all the information that is relevant to you. It's very easy to feel like you have all the info after visit days, but you definitely don't.
    I did this at 4 schools and it was super helpful, also pay attention to how active they are over the last few years. I also, at the urging of one of the schools' professors, checked to see which professors had a top-5 publications. Just one data point, but every part matters.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by therealslimkt View Post
    This is a very good idea. I'd add a few columns to that list. For each faculty member, indicate whether they teach graduate classes, whether they advise graduate students, and whether they are actively publishing. (Also, be sure you are looking at actual tenure track/tenured professors and not adjuncts, visitors, etc.) Some of this you can get from the web, but these are also good questions to ask current students or your faculty contacts.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Yes, to amend my advice slightly I would say to emphasize professors who are between 5-20 years into their career. Old enough to have substantial experience in the field, but young enough to still be at the cutting edge.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Anyone else still waitlisted by their top choice? I’m having trouble sleeping at this point

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by cp9290 View Post
    Anyone else still waitlisted by their top choice? I’m having trouble sleeping at this point
    Can definitely feel you there. I was also contacted by one of a better ranking, but less fit school yesterday saying that my chances are still high with them... really not sure what to do. I am already in a dilemma in the offers I have now(will decline one by the end of today), and with top choice WL and another higher ranking wl, I'm anxious af.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by slumdropforest View Post
    Anyone else on Michigan State's waitlist? I'm looking to chat with someone about it!
    Sending you a PM...

Good post? Yes | No

I'm on the same boat. I haven't been sleeping well since Feb.(because of different time zones, most e-mails from the U.S. arrive at midnight) and my fatigue is through the roof. I am waitlisted on one of my top choice schools and I am just hoping that I will be accepted off the waitlist asap so I can decline my other offer and position on the waitlist....

Good post? Yes | No

Same here. I was contacted by my top choice last week, and they asked if I was interested in accepting an offer if it were to be given. They said they were 'excited' at the chance that I may join them... I responded right away but haven't heard back from them yet. This is excruciating. Why did they have to sound so hopeful??

Good post? Yes | No

Anyone got off UMN waitlist?

Page 77 of 79 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879 LastLast

Thread Information