Urch Forums

US PhD from good German university

OccamsRazor

Hi all! I will finish my Master in Economics from a good university in Germany (one of Mannheim / Munich / Bonn) next year and will try to get placed into a Top 20 PhD Program. I also did my Bachelor in Economics at one of those universities. I'm especially interested in how the selection committees will review my application regarding the grades... In Germany, grades are usally (much) worse than in the US (only around 0.5% of students receive the highest GPA (1.0) in economics). Is there anything which I should pay attention to?

It's always useful to have a letter from a professor at the program who can contextualize your grades; after all, admissions committees usually care about your relative performance (i.e your rank in a comparable cohort) rather than absolute performance (your grades). Ideally this letter would come from someone who can speak both to your research ability and your performance in coursework (so someone you took two or more classes with, and wrote a thesis under).

German Unis, especially Bonn, but also Mannheim have great records in placing their students to top Econ programs. Just look at faculty list of top 7 schools and there are usually a handful of people from Bonn or Mannheim, in each school. Your profs should have some decent idea on what to do