Urch Forums

First cycle and acceptance. When can I expect funding?

tlgoa2

I just got my first admit for a PhD program starting 2021, but the acceptance email contained no info on funding. The school says on their website that they guarantee funding to all accepted students for 5 years, but no details. This is my first cycle and my first acceptance, so I'm not sure if this is normal/what I should do? Should I reach out to ask about funding details or is that weird? They did say they'd reach out within the next couple of weeks to have me complete a statement of intent to register, but no mention of funding on that. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

I've received a few acceptances so far and none of the initial acceptances came with funding information. I've only now received funding information from one of those schools, which came a few days later. I think it's totally normal for school's to send out financial offers later and wouldn't worry about it, but it should be reasonable to reach out and ask about the timeline if you're itching for more info. I'm guessing that this next correspondence that they mention will be more official and contain the funding offer.

For what it's worth, in the previous 2020 cycle, most of the first-round offers started trickling in from mid to late Feb. I got an informal acceptance letter, in the 3rd week of Feb, that pointed to the official letter (with funding details) being available via the application portal in a couple days.