Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Quick profile check

Muzzled.

Good post? Yes | No

Quick profile check

Sponsored Ad:
    Can anyone tell me how competitive this profile would be for UC Irvine to apply this fall and start next fall?

School: large research state school/university with not much of a ranking for economics
    UG GPA: 3.35ish
    Grad GPA thus far: 3.8 without 2014 metrics class (somehow tacked onto my grad GPA) or 3.55ish with 2014 metrics class (which I'm currently retaking and doing above average so far)

Math courses after UG in 2014 (all UG level): Linear Algebra (A-), Intro to Advanced Math (A-), Calculus IV (A-), Elementary Prob & Stats (A), Introduction to Real Analysis (currently taking), Introduction to Differential Equations (will take this fall)

Economics courses after UG in 2014 (all grad level): Mathematics for Economics (A), Microeconomics I (A-), Metrics I (currently taking), Microeconomics II (currently taking), Experimental Economics (currently taking), Macroeconomics I (will take this fall), Metrics II (will take this fall), Macroeconomics II (will take next spring), Research Capstone (will take next spring)

Teaching experience: currently a TA for Principles of Microeconomics (spring 2021)

Research experience: currently working on my research capstone project (on experimental economics pertaining to antitrust and industrial organization) as well as a project with a more senior student (very avid researcher) who is about to graduate with a phd at my institution (on some inequalities in sports pertaining to soccer clubs), and I should have some kind of writing sample from both in time for the December 1 deadline to apply

Computer skills: LaTeX, some RStudio, some Python, some Stata

GRE scores: expecting 169+ for Q, 162+ for V, and 5.0+ for writing

It would be neat to hear your opinions on how this might fare for UC Irvine...

monetary

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: Quick profile check

There's so much randomness in admissions that you probably shouldn't be thinking about your competitiveness for any one school; someone could easily get rejected from UC Irvine but get into a "better" school. I think the question you want to ask is, "how competitive is my profile for PhD programs in X range" (40-60 on US news for example).

Fwiw I received a waitlist from Irvine this year with a 169 Q GRE, 3.9+ GPA, strong letters and research experience (no grad school). Best advice is to apply widely and ask professors at your current institution where they think you should target.

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Wahasky View Post
    There's so much randomness in admissions that you probably shouldn't be thinking about your competitiveness for any one school; someone could easily get rejected from UC Irvine but get into a "better" school. I think the question you want to ask is, "how competitive is my profile for PhD programs in X range" (40-60 on US news for example).

Fwiw I received a waitlist from Irvine this year with a 169 Q GRE, 3.9+ GPA, strong letters and research experience (no grad school). Best advice is to apply widely and ask professors at your current institution where they think you should target.
    This is such good advice that there ought to be a way to "sticky" it!

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

You have enough coursework (assuming A-/A in RA+grad micro). I understand that you are anxious about your background, but there is a diminishing returns to math preparation.

My sense is that you should focus on your thesis, get a RA gig with a professor, and boost some programming experience. Think about your recommenders (if you haven't done so) and try to do things that maximize the strength of their recommendations. I would say Econ PhD field courses are more useful than all these (might give you a nice writing sample+recommender in the process).

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by petheory View Post
    You have enough coursework (assuming A-/A in RA+grad micro). I understand that you are anxious about your background, but there is a diminishing returns to math preparation.

My sense is that you should focus on your thesis, get a RA gig with a professor, and boost some programming experience. Think about your recommenders (if you haven't done so) and try to do things that maximize the strength of their recommendations. I would say Econ PhD field courses are more useful than all these (might give you a nice writing sample+recommender in the process).
    I agree with this. The one hole, so to speak, in your advanced course preparation is a deeper class in probability theory and mathematical statistics, or something along those lines. After that, classes in statistical programming are helpful if you plan to use data in your research.

Always good to talk with your recommenders because their letters are really important. They likely have a good sense of what programs you would be competitive at and what areas of your preparation would have the highest payoff.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

I think probability & stat inference is more useful, though it might teach the same stuffs you've learned in econometrics I.

Muzzled.

Good post? Yes | No
    Wahasky: This is definitely great advice, thanks!

startz: Great idea!! :o]

Based on my profile and courses already taken, in what order would you rank the immediacy of the following courses for PhD applications (I'm applying this fall):

(a) n-variable real analysis (i'm taking 1-variable real analysis now),

(b) grad-level macroeconomic theory ii (i have very little interest in macro, and will take grad-level macroeconomic theory i this fall),

(c) numerical analysis (i'd need to learn some programming beforehand, but this would serve my research interests well),

(d) topology (i like math and have seen others on this forum taking this course as well),

(e) grad-level econometrics ii (i'm currently taking econometrics i, and think this may be helpful for research but i will take the entire sequence in my phd program as well, but maybe i need this as a signal to get in),

(f) political science courses (i'm interested in these but maybe a waste of time when preparing for phd admissions and should take this once in a phd program)

... thank you in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by petheory View Post

I took this advice to heart and emailed some professors about a possible RA gig, but so far all have as expected said they don't have the funding and/or they will announce to all grad students when an opportunity arises. Hopefully the two papers I'm working on will solidify my programming!

Quote Originally Posted by tbe View Post
    I agree with this. The one hole, so to speak, in your advanced course preparation is a deeper class in probability theory and mathematical statistics, or something along those lines. After that, classes in statistical programming are helpful if you plan to use data in your research.

Always good to talk with your recommenders because their letters are really important. They likely have a good sense of what programs you would be competitive at and what areas of your preparation would have the highest payoff.
    Interesting! Would you say though that econometrics ii is still more valuable than say an undergrad senior-level probability and statistical inference series?

Question: Does taking grad-level macro and doing well in it override the need to take an intro to diff eq course?

Eager!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

I'm 99% sure superballamy is an alt account of dogbones.... I didn't catch on at first, but the writing style, the profile, all point to dogbones.

I'm very much of the opinion that you should take math classes in the mathematics department, if possible. From personal experience (I don't claim this for all universities, but perhaps this is true of most universities), they have been much more rigorous, and they have prepared me well for grad econ courses. It's not a bad thing to take math courses and advanced economics courses which use other math course content.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by coloradoecon View Post
    I'm 99% sure superballamy is an alt account of dogbones.... I didn't catch on at first, but the writing style, the profile, all point to dogbones.

I'm very much of the opinion that you should take math classes in the mathematics department, if possible. From personal experience (I don't claim this for all universities, but perhaps this is true of most universities), they have been much more rigorous, and they have prepared me well for grad econ courses. It's not a bad thing to take math courses and advanced economics courses which use other math course content.
    Who is dogbones?

Thread Information