See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Profile Review and Potential Second Admissions Season

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Review and Potential Second Admissions Season

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by startz View Post
    Not very important to us. "Curating" applications almost always shows and looks fake. Good for a few laughs though when an applicant screws up the copy-and-paste and mentions another university.
    I see this claim repeated often, but I find it very hard to believe. How on earth do you have a sample size for ‘curated’ vs ‘genuine’ (is there really even any dramatic distinction between these for the vast majority of applicants?) applications?

economist

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by hoomanH View Post
    I see this claim repeated often, but I find it very hard to believe. How on earth do you have a sample size for ‘curated’ vs ‘genuine’ (is there really even any dramatic distinction between these for the vast majority of applicants?) applications?
    I don't understand what you mean by "sample size." What I'm saying is that for many applications it's obvious that the applicant wrote out a standardized application and then went through and tweaked it for our program. This makes it obvious that the applicant doesn't have any special interest in us. No big deal, but it's not a plus.

Don't tell us about us--tell use about you.​ I already know about us.

Omw to analyze something

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by startz View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by "sample size." What I'm saying is that for many applications it's obvious that the applicant wrote out a standardized application and then went through and tweaked it for our program. This makes it obvious that the applicant doesn't have any special interest in us. No big deal, but it's not a plus.

Don't tell us about us--tell use about you.​ I already know about us.
    Huh, surprising! I found it valuable as an applicant to include a paragraph about department fit, partially because it actually helped me realize that at some schools it was near impossible to write the department fit paragraph and maybe I shouldn't apply there due to poor fit; for the most part they were genuine representations of how I see myself fitting in, though perhaps the rest of my SOP already spoke to that and the fit paragraph didn't add much from an adcom perspective.

economist

Quote Originally Posted by econhappy View Post
    I found it valuable as an applicant to include a paragraph about department fit, partially because it actually helped me realize that at some schools it was near impossible to write the department fit paragraph and maybe I shouldn't apply there due to poor fit;
    That's a really, really smart thing to do. Wish more applicants followed your advice.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by econhappy View Post
    I found it valuable as an applicant to include a paragraph about department fit.
    I did this too, and frankly, I think this is what helped distinguish me from other applicants because this season was brutal. I have found faculty in the schools I have been admitted to who work on the exact same thing I am interested in, down to the specific research interest beyond just applied micro or development or whatever.

The ability to convincingly describe one's research interest and department/faculty fit is quite correlated to research experience, writing sample, coursework, and most importantly recommendation letters though. I was contacted mostly by faculty in my fields of interest from programs that admit me, but I don't think that's the difference between admission/rejection. Other applicants will likely be interested in the programs' strengths anyways.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information