Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Business economics or economics for theory interests

Within my grasp!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: Business economics or economics for theory interests

Sponsored Ad:
    There is really a lot of misinformation in this thread. I am only familiar with Bus-ec and Kellogg MEDs based on my own research when I was applying. I am not affiliated with either of these two programs.

HBS Bus-Ec is arguably more prestigious than Harvard Econ. To be admitted into the former, you also need to be admitted into the latter. HBS Bus-ec is the Econ program but you get additional resources from the business school. This includes more faculty attention, $ and resources. You have access from faculty at both the Econ and Business school. You are not treated any differently among Econ departments on the job market but you will be viewed more favorably from business schools. In terms of revealed preference, HBS Bus Ec ~ MIT > Harvard. Past profiles and results are consistent with this claim.

Kellogg MEDS and Northwestern Econ have equal prestige on the job market. Note that unlike Harvard (where you can apply to both HBS Bus Ec and Harvard Econ), you can only apply to one program at Northwestern. So you have some selection where people who are more inclined to do theory or political economy apply for Kellogg MEDS over Northwestern Econ.
    Last edited by Zubrus; 03-01-2021 at 07:55 PM.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Zubrus View Post
    There is really a lot of misinformation in this thread. I am only familiar with Bus-ec and Kellogg MEDs based on my own research when I was applying. I am not affiliated with either of these two programs.

HBS Bus-Ec is arguably more prestigious than Harvard Econ. To be admitted into the former, you also need to be admitted into the latter. HBS Bus-ec is the Econ program but you get additional resources from the business school. This includes more faculty attention, $ and resources. You have access from faculty at both the Econ and Business school. You are not treated any differently among Econ departments on the job market but you will be viewed more favorably from business schools. In terms of revealed preference, HBS Bus Ec ~ MIT > Harvard. Past profiles and results are consistent with this claim.

Kellogg MEDS and Northwestern Econ has equal prestige and training on the job market. Note that unlike Harvard (where you can apply to both HBS Bus Ec and Harvard Econ), you can only apply to one program at Northwestern. So you have some selection where people who are more inclined to do theory or political economy apply for Kellogg MEDS over Northwestern Econ.
    Good to hear another perspective on Harvard Bus-Ec versus Harvard econ, interesting that "HBS Bus Ec ~ MIT > Harvard."

Seems like most posters agree that Harvard Bus-Ec > Harvard econ, and I may need to update my prior bias against Bus-Ec just because it's situated within a business school.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by hallowedelegy View Post
    I was essentially trying to make the same point as FMiller, but they were much clearer about it.

Presumably, Columbia Business Economics is trying to replicate HBS b/c, like HBS, Columbia Bus Ec wants to "house" its students within the Economics department but merely give these students greater access to faculty in the business school. Regardless, I don't think Columbia is seriously in your choice set unless there are reasons you haven't given that lead you to consider Columbia over Harvard. Other business schools typically do not operate completely integrated programs like HBS, aside from taking some of the same core courses as the Economics students.
    I understand now, and I appreciate you for sharing! Good luck with your decision as well, sounds like you also have some great options on the table and a tough decision ahead.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by eggnogone View Post
    Good to hear another perspective on Harvard Bus-Ec versus Harvard econ, interesting that "HBS Bus Ec ~ MIT > Harvard."

Seems like most posters agree that Harvard Bus-Ec > Harvard econ, and I may need to update my prior bias against Bus-Ec just because it's situated within a business school.
    Wow @eggnogone, your admissions are incredible!!! I can only dream of getting these acceptances when I apply next year....

May I ask if you have decided which program you will join? Or if you have a tendency?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information