Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UW Seattle vs UC Irvine

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: UW Seattle vs UC Irvine

Sponsored Ad:
    Thanks for the info, and for the encouraging words haha. It is quite rough, but I knew the risks going in, and am fully prepared to reapply another year! I did live in Seattle in University District for a year and a half, and wanted to say rents are quite a bit lower now than they were just a year ago. Walking distance from the university, you should be able to get a studio for about $1200/mo or a 1 bed for $1600, if you try to get a larger place like a house with other students, that will be even cheaper around $850-$900/mo. There is a big UW housing group on Facebook, you should check it out! Good luck with this difficult (but exciting!) choice!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by 786 View Post
    Thanks for the info, and for the encouraging words haha. It is quite rough, but I knew the risks going in, and am fully prepared to reapply another year! I did live in Seattle in University District for a year and a half, and wanted to say rents are quite a bit lower now than they were just a year ago. Walking distance from the university, you should be able to get a studio for about $1200/mo or a 1 bed for $1600, if you try to get a larger place like a house with other students, that will be even cheaper around $850-$900/mo. There is a big UW housing group on Facebook, you should check it out! Good luck with this difficult (but exciting!) choice!
    Thanks for the tips! I was kinda worried about housing in Seattle so I looked up some places and did see some around the prices you mentioned. I was a little unsure if a studio that close to the school could go for a price like that and almost didn't believe it. Thanks again!

Good post? Yes | No

Anyone else have any opinions? I feel like as of now research fit is better at UCI, but I think people tend to think UW is the stronger department. Talking with students and faculty went fine and both seem like nice places.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

I was accepted at both UCI and UW (ultimately declined both offers). I would have preferred UCI for a few reasons. I got the sense that UCI has a pretty positive department culture (and I think this is broadly part of their reputation). Didn't get that same sense from UCI. Also, it seemed like UCI's finances were in better shape than UW's. UCI also takes care of housing concerns.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by sweetfeet View Post
    I was accepted at both UCI and UW (ultimately declined both offers). I would have preferred UCI for a few reasons. I got the sense that UCI has a pretty positive department culture (and I think this is broadly part of their reputation). Didn't get that same sense from UCI. Also, it seemed like UCI's finances were in better shape than UW's. UCI also takes care of housing concerns.
    Thanks for your input. I got a similar sense about UCI. I assume you mean that UCI had a positive department culture and that you didn't get the same sense from UW?

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by tlgoa2 View Post
    Thanks for your input. I got a similar sense about UCI. I assume you mean that UCI had a positive department culture and that you didn't get the same sense from UW?
    Sorry. I just noticed my typo. I did not get the sense that UW had the same positive dept. culture, but I do not want to suggest that UW has a bad department culture. I just did not get the sense that it was as positive at UCI's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information