Urch Forums

Tilburg MSc vs Mrs in Economics

Structuraldynam

Hello all, hope you all doing allright.

I got accepted to Tilburg MSc economics with pre-master condition.

I was just wandering that if I could switch to researxh master after I done MSc economics. Or do I have chance to get in research master or Tinbergen after regular master?

And does MSc economics in tilburg worth 15000 euro?

Thanks for your answers, much appreciated, cheers!

Hello all, hope you all doing allright.

I got accepted to Tilburg MSc economics with pre-master condition.

I was just wandering that if I could switch to researxh master after I done MSc economics. Or do I have chance to get in research master or Tinbergen after regular master?

And does MSc economics in tilburg worth 15000 euro?

Thanks for your answers, much appreciated, cheers!

I am a faculty member at Tilburg University. If you do well in the MSc program, you will very likely be admitted to the research master's. We are always keen on keeping our best students! Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have further questions.

Tbh,

Going from a normal MSc in Tilburg trying to get accepted in Tinbergen is a massive task. I havent heard anyone being able to get accepted there. Going to the RM in Tilburg is doable, I heard every year one or two daredevils make the jump. Their GRE scores have to be good and you should aim to get 7.5+ on average in the MSc, which should not be too difficult.

Whether it is worth it is up to you. You will likely get a scholarship and tuition waiver, which reduces the burden a bit. If you want to do a PhD then go for it, just try to get 8+ average in your normal MSc and preferably 8.5 if possible since that will predict RM grades which will determine the likelihood of PhD entry. (subtract 1.5 grade point average going from MSc to RM). Given good supervision they often accept many people into their PhD phase. Note that Tilburg is focussed on Econometrics and also some applied micro as well as experimental. Macro and Theoretical stuff they are not the best. In that sense you have to really like the work of their professors. Use their research portal to figure out who works there and to see if there is anything you like. Otherwise try other universities like Louvain/Groningen/Bonn (after their Mphil version) etc.

If you do not want to get a PhD then just try to get a bunch of coding experience (using datacamp, R, Python, SQL, excel VSB) and then enter the workforce. It is really not worth the money as well as the enormous effort required from you to pass that program as well as that you dont learn that much new things that the professional life is expecting from you. These Mphil programs are very theoretical in nature, not the coding skills and many of the things you would learn in an internship.

Cheers

I'm not sure about your objective. In terms of training for economics. Tilburg one-year MSc is a more career oriented program. As a stepping stone to its own MRes, you can see previous post. Someone has explained it.

On the other hand, if you wish to find a job after the MSc, it is not so easy for internationals to stay in The Netherlands and find a job unless you speak Dutch.

There are always successful cases but try to look at the median outcome instead of those few successful ones.

I think a two-year master (also MSc) is better options. Cheaper tuition fee, language course training in German (useful for finding a job), also more time to apply for the next step (this is important, too). On the other hand, with 15000 euros you can have much more choices in other countries and cities, too. It was not so hard for me to get admissions into Mannheim, Bonn, Munich, etc (I'm also an international student). I think they also have late deadlines for MSc. Maybe worth a check.

I in the end chose a one-year master. It was quite a hassle for me to apply for the next step after just 3 (for Ph.D.) to 5 (for most of the jobs) months into the program.

The help from Tilburg career center is limited.

I also doubt how much my one-year program helped as a stepping stone at that time.

International students pay much more than the locals. You should know clearly what you're paying for. For chances to stay abroad? For better job prospects in domestic markets? For next stage in academics?

Unless you're some rich kids. But I guess if you asked whether it worth the money or not. You probably want to spend the money wisely.