Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much does it matter where math courses are taken?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: How much does it matter where math courses are taken?

Sponsored Ad:
    If you're part of Harvard extension school, there are no mandatory prerequisites. You can find course materials here (Course Modules: MATH 23A: Linear Algebra and Real Analysis I) to check if you have adequate preparation (which by your courses seem like you do).Their syllabus is also a quick google search away in case the link doesn't work -- Harvard Extension MATH 23A syllabus.

It is offered in the Fall. It should be there in the extension course catalogue if you check around June-July. I don't think it's bad/harmful to your application to have one course from a different place, but I don't know much since I took it 2 years after graduation and I'm non-American.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by southerncharm View Post

Would it look bad to have my other math courses come from Georgia State (MV Calc, Lin Alg, Diff Eq, Prob, Stats) and just the one class from HE?
    Not at all.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks everyone for the help! Really appreciate, in particular the Harvard extension idea is new to me.

Context that I didn't share in my original post is that I'm an older applicant (41) and have a demanding job and 3 kids. So prepping for admissions is tight on time! I have an MPP from top 10 and MPhil from Cambridge, but all my math and research is old. I currently work in strategy consulting for top firm.

Given what I've learned, to be competitive in even top 50, I need to: 1) get more math / stats; 2) get great recs from PhD economists (via taking a few grad econ courses and/or doing research); 3) ace the GRE quant.

I'm planning on applying fall '22 - which seems far away but is actually pretty quick given all that I need to do to prepare (not to mention my work and family commitments).

With all that in mind, I'm wondering if I just take all my math courses through Harvard extension. Taking analysis through local university has numerous prereqs, so it seems that Harvard extension might free up time to take some grad level econ and stats courses, GRE prep, etc..

Any feedback on these two options?

OPTION A - math via Georgia State University
    1. Multivariate calculus
    2. Discrete math (prereq to Math bridge)
    3. Linear Algebra
    4. Differential Equations
    5. Math bridge (prereq to Analysis)
    6. Analysis

OPTION B - math via Harvard Extension
    1. Multivariate calculus (Math 21A)
    2. Linear Algebra + Differential Equations (Math 21B)
    3. Analysis (Math 23A)

My instinct is that I'm not going to be able to show an exceptional academic math record (in either scenario), and that my goal is really to just show that I can still do math / have put in the work to do the prereqs. So the marginal time that Harvard might provide could be better spent on econ and stats courses (which will help with recs and personal statement) and GRE prep.

All of this said, the Harvard courses might be tougher than GSU (especially without doing the prereqs, which I'm assuming are there for good reason), so I risk getting worse grades!

Appreciate any feedback...thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information