Urch Forums

Need help deciding between IHEID MA in Economics and Johns Hopkins SAIS MIEF

KleanKanteen

So I was admitted to both of these programs. I like both because, coming from an International Affairs background, they both seem pretty good for making the switch to econ.

The SAIS program is entirely a professional program, while the IHEID program is a lot more academic in nature. The IHEID program also seems better (it's two years long yet cheaper than the one year MIEF, the cohorts are significantly smaller, both professional and academic placements are really good).

My one concern is that nobody in my small Central American country knows what IHEID is, while a lot of people know Johns Hopkins. If I were to stay in Europe that wouldn't be an issue as IHEID is well known over there, but if I fail to do that I don't think my degree would help me too much back home.

I think I'd like to do a PhD but at this point I'm not familiar enough with economics as a field to be certain about that (and also my 3.55 undergrad GPA might hold me back even though my GRE scores are pretty great).

What do you think? Any help is appreciated!

It depends on what you want to become. If you want to do PhD then definetely choose IHEID. But if you don't know then MIEF. I know several guys who did MS/MA in Finance and then after years in industry they decided to do PhD, hence they took additional MA in Econ

It depends on what you want to become. If you want to do PhD then definetely choose IHEID. But if you don't know then MIEF. I know several guys who did MS/MA in Finance and then after years in industry they decided to do PhD, hence they took additional MA in Econ

Thanks! I think my main concern about the PhD route (beyond not being that familiar with econ) is that I don't know if I could get into a (top 50ish) program because of my mediocre performance during undergrad (3.55 GPA). Econ PhD admissions seem to be brutal. Every time I look at top 10-20 admits they have perfect undergrad GPAs, years of RAing and TAing, ridiculously advanced math classes, etc..

I guess the small class size at IHEID and the two year format could help me get there with really good rec letters?

Thanks! I think my main concern about the PhD route (beyond not being that familiar with econ) is that I don't know if I could get into a (top 50ish) program because of my mediocre performance during undergrad (3.55 GPA). Econ PhD admissions seem to be brutal. Every time I look at top 10-20 admits they have perfect undergrad GPAs, years of RAing and TAing, ridiculously advanced math classes, etc..

I guess the small class size at IHEID and the two year format could help me get there with really good rec letters?

For top 10 US PhDs undergrad's grades and classes somehow can be a matter of consideration and top 10 admission can be brutal, but not for top 50, unless you are domestic student applying directly from undergrad to phd.

I'm not that familiar with IHEID, just search for its PhD placement list. And keep in my mind, you will apply at the begining of your second year, so you should get TA or RA as soon as possible. It is mainly depends on your place in MA cohort rating, letters and GRE, not on your undergrad grades. I personnally know Harvard PhD student with only couple months of RA in master and that's it, but he aced GPA, GRE Q and got quite good letters from well-known profs, so he has nor rigorous math-based undergrad nor years of TA/RA