See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Profile Results 2021

Trying to make mom and pop proud

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Results 2021

Sponsored Ad:
    PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: The best program in my country, unknown in the USA, Economics

Undergrad GPA: 3.83

Type of Grad: MSc in Econ and MSc in Finance (not finished), the same institution as the undergraduate one

Grad GPA: 3.84

GRE: 154V/168Q/4.0AW

Math Courses: Real analysis, Calculus, Multivariable Calculus, Intro to Statistics, Theoretical Statistics,

Econ Courses: Microeconomics and Econometrics(graduate), intermediate micro and macro, Time Series Analysis, Financial Economics, International Finance, etc.

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation: I had 4 letters - 1 senior professor from the top 5, 1 Associate Professor from the top 10, 2 professors from my master's and undergrad

Research Experience: 1 year RA + worked for 2 years at the central bank in my country

Teaching Experience: none

Research Interests: macroeconomics

SOP: Generic one, almost the same for every school

Other:

RESULTS:

Acceptances: Northwestern,UC Berkeley, Wisconsin-Madison

Waitlists: UCSD, UMichigan

Rejections: MIT, Harvard, Stanford, UChicago, Princeton, Yale, NYU, Columbia, NYU Stern, Booth, HBS

Pending:

Attending: Northwestern University

Comments:

What would you have done differently? I would start preparing everything earlier, but I am still very satisfied with the outcome

Type of Undergrad: B.S. (Honors) Mathematics and Economics from the top 15 in US
    Undergrad GPA: 4.0 (My school doesn't have A+)
    Type of Grad : N/A
    Grad GPA: N/A
    GRE: Q170 ,V157, AWA4.0
    Math Courses Undergrad: Linear Algebra (A), Calculus I-III (A), Analysis I-II (A), Abstract Algebra I-II (A), Logic (A), Linear Optimization (A), Topology (A), Complex Analysis (A)
    Math Courses Grad: Differentiable Manifolds (A), ODE (A), Two semesters of Ph.D. analysis sequence (both A), Measure-theoretic probability (A), Stochastic analysis (A), Modern discrete probability (A)
    Econ Courses Undergrad: Intro to micro and macro (A), Intermediate micro (A), Intermediate macro (A), Econometrics (A), Game Theory (A), IO (A), Growth theory (A), Independent research (A), Honors thesis (IP)
    Econ Courses Grad: Two semesters of Ph.D. micro sequence (both A), First semester of Ph.D. macro sequence (A), Advanced micro theory (A)
    Other courses: Two programming classes in Java and Matlab
    Letters of Recommendation:
    - Math Professor whom I did research with (Very strong - the best student he has ever had for 20 years)
    - Assistant Professor from intermediate macro and growth theory classes (Strong)
    - Well-known professor in micro sequence whom I did research with over the past summer (Strong)
    Research Experience:
    - Two years of math research in dynamical systems with the first LOR writer (1 working paper & 1 in-progress)
    - Math REU at U. Chicago over the past summer about optimal stopping time
    - One semester of independent research class on matching theory
    - Research on games in contracts with the third LOR writer over the past summer
    - Honors thesis about search theory (I didn't have a strong relationship with my advisor, so I didn't have him writing a rec letter for me)
    Teaching Experience: TA for analysis, combinatorics, and stochastic process classes
    Research Interests: Microeconomic theory (Game Theory, Information economics)
    SOP: How I can use my problem-solving skills from math competition to solve problems in economic theory and help my research in theory. I also make a connection between what I learn from math class and my potential research topic in the future.
    Other information: IMO silver medalist for three years and Putnam top 50 for three years.
    Results:
    Acceptances:
    MIT ($$$), Princeton ($$$), UC-Berkeley ($$), Yale ($$$), Caltech ($$$), U. Penn ($), U. Michigan ($$$)
    Waitlists: Northwestern, Harvard
    Rejections: Stanford, Columbia, U. Chicago
    Attending: MIT!
    Comments:
    After I got the offer from MIT, I withdrew applications from many colleges (UCSD, UCLA, UW-Madison, U. Rochester, BU, BC, UT-Austin...Yes, I was so desperate that I would not get in any program, so I applied a lot). What I was concerned most about was that I did not let my thesis advisor write the letter (If you want to know why, see my previous forum: Profile Evaluation for 2021 and concerns about LOR (urch.com)), so I was afraid this was a red flag to ad com showing that my thesis was bad. The first offer from MIT relieved me a lot! I was so glad that ad com didn't take it into account.
    What would you have done differently? I am happy with my results so far. Maybe I should have done application materials earlier so that I didn't have to be stressed out during late November and December. I should have applied to fewer schools and save those money for travelling lol.
    Last edited by Winnythepooh; 04-16-2021 at 06:28 AM.

Good post? Yes | No

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    Top 10 institution in my home country
    Undergrad GPA:
    3.8/4.0, Major in Econ, Minor in Math. I graduated a semester early
    Type of Grad:
    the same institution as undergrad
    Grad GPA:
    3.93, M.S. in Econ (not finished yet)
    GRE:
    V166/Q170/WA4.0
    Math Courses:
    Calc1,2 , Multivariable Calc, Advanced Calc 1, Linear Algebra 1,2 ,Differential Equations, Real Analysis, Numerical Analysis, ect,. Mostly A+/A with two A-s and two B-s(Calc 1 and a computation class; had a hard time catching up on Calc 1, but I think it didn’t matter a lot in the end since I did well on more advanced courses )
    Econ Courses:
    Usual undergrad/grad courses, all A+ except for a B+ on undergrad macro and A- on grad macro (macro is my weakness)
    Other Courses:
    Several undergrad statistics courses, mostly A+ with one B+
    I think they were strong/pretty decent at least (but who knows…)
    Research Experience:
    Several short term R.A. for professors that I took courses in, 2 monthes research internship at a private finance research institution, two national research competition awards ( work published in conference proceedings)
    Teaching Experience:
    T.A. for four undergrad courses
    Research Interests:
    Microeconometrics(applied/theory)
    SOP:
    Talked mainly about my experience working on the research projects that were awarded at the national competitions and how it motivated me to pursue doctoral studies.
    Other:
    Alternate candidate for the Fulbright scholarship (will decline soon)

RESULTS:
    Acceptances:
    UT Austin($), TAMU(waitlisted for funding)
    Waitlists:
    WUSTL(waitlist->rejection) , Wisconsin-Madison(waitlist->rejection), MSU (waitlist->decline), UC Irvine (radio silence, don’t know what happened)
    Rejections:
    Yale, Northwestern, UCLA, Cornell, Duke, BC, U of Arizona, Purdue, Georgetown, USC, Rice(declined interview)
    Pending: UNC
    Attending:
    UT Austin
    Comments:
    It really frustrated me how so many schools sent out their decisions in several rounds or kept a really long waitlist this year. I was super anxious for the past three months, got a bad insomnia and lost several pounds. I can’t say that I am attending my dream school, but I am happy and grateful that I can continue my studies at a solid department with professors that fit my research interests.

What would you have done differently?
    Nothing in terms of preparation, since I honestly tried my best. Maybe I should have applied to more schools in the top 5~30 range, since I ended up getting outright rejections from many lower ranked schools despite being at least waitlisted/ waiting for several rounds before being rejected from higher ranked programs. I felt that research fit plays an important role in the admission process, especially for students like me who has a specific/quite narrow field of interest.
    Last edited by yjk0422; 04-17-2021 at 02:51 AM.

4. The post by econhappy is hidden due to low votes. Really want to see it? Click the EXPAND button over there to the right.

Type of Undergrad: top liberal arts college in my country, somewhat well known in the US
    Undergrad GPA: 3.88
    Type of Grad: T10
    Grad GPA: 3.9
    GRE: 170Q / 166V / 5.0AW
    Math Courses: Linear Algebra (A), Math for econ I (A), Math for econ II (B+), real analysis I (A)
    Econ Courses: Advanced micro (H), advanced macro (H), econometrics (multiple, all A/H), advanced development economics (H)
    Other Courses:
    Letters of Recommendation: 1 from DGS at grad school who was also my thesis advisor, 2 Assistant Profs who are my current PIs.
    Research Experience: 1.5 years of field and 1.5 years of data RA work
    Teaching Experience: none
    Research Interests: Development, political economy, gender
    SOP: Surprised myself when I realized that my SOP had a very common theme aligned with my interests straight from undergrad. This was especially apparent in the kinds of research I've undertaken independently, as well as with my PIs. Also tailored SOP for the institutions, mentioned profs and their work that was relevant to my interests.

RESULTS:
    Acceptances
    : Berkeley ARE, UCSD, Georgetown, McGill, Bocconi, NYU, BU, HKS PPOL, UCL
    Waitlists: Northwestern (eventually rejected), U-WM (and asked to be taken off)
    Rejections: Cornell AEM, Yale & Columbia (both because they already had my GRE and application fee was waived, would not have applied otherwise), Brown, Michigan (econ+ppol), Duke ppol
    Attending: HKS PPOL (normal cohort size)
    Comments: Fee waivers were my best friend during this process! I also wanted something slightly more multi-disciplinary and HKS was the best fit. I guess strategically going to an econ department would have made more sense. I was really looking for where I have good support systems and where I can stay slightly outside econ but still interact with some great economists! I also feel like I would end up outside of academia in 6+ years, but who knows.

What would you have done differently? Didn't have many math course options to take during undergrad, so can't even go back to my undergrad self and ask them to take more math! Definitely was a great decision to not do math in grad school and instead focus on fun courses, and do real analysis online later. Wasn't expecting most of the acceptances I got, so I'm pretty satisfied (including the months of application + refreshing grad cafe stress).
    Last edited by gamebay; 04-20-2021 at 11:09 AM.

Good post? Yes | No

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    Top 75 USWNR, Large State School
    Undergrad GPA:
    Type of Grad:
    N/A
    Grad GPA:
    N/A
    GRE:
    167Q / 164V / 4.5
    Math Courses:
    from undergrad: business calc I,II (A,A), Business stats (A);
    After undergrad, through state school online: Calc I-III (A+,A+,A-), Linear Algebra (A+), Intro to Proofs (A+), Intro to Analysis (A), Stats (IP)
    Econ Courses: Intro micro/macro (A,A,), Int Micro/macro (A,A), Environmental (A), Public (A), Comparative Systems (A), Intro Econometrics (B), Adv Econometrics (A), Game theory (B), a few seminar courses (all A's)
    Other Courses:
    Nothing relevant
    all from undergrad professors, all full/distinguished profs but not famous
    Research Experience:
    Basically none, tried to tie my work experience to research but it's not really a research role
    Teaching Experience: ​some math tutoring, nothing else
    Research Interests:
    Public/ Political economy/applied micro. Listed some potential research areas that are very niche but related to my work experience (4 years)
    SOP:
    Pretty good I think, got some help from a relative on copy-editing. Tailored for each school as much as possible.

RESULTS:
    Acceptances:
    Clemson ($$$), UC Irvine (Off waitlist, $$), CU Boulder ($$$, off waitlist after 4/15)
    Waitlists:
    UC Irvine (Accepted), CU Boulder (Accepted after 4/15), USC (rejected)
    Rejections:
    Chicago Harris (had a fee waiver, otherwise wouldn't have tried), Duke, UCSD, UCSB, UVA, UMich, Vanderbilt, BU, UT Austin, Georgetown
    Pending:
    Maryland, UNC (never heard back from either, obviously rejections)
    Attending:
    UC Irvine
    Comments:
    I knew I would be a controversial applicant given my lack of research experience and several years of work experience, plus starting from scratch on math at a less prestigious university (& online). Really hard to say if I would've placed higher in a normal year, I think my letter writers thought I would but they don't send students to PhD programs that often, so I think they were basing it on placements from 5-10 years ago who did much better. Different game now.

UCI has a reduced cohort this year, target was 12 compared to 20 in a normal year. Great research fit and seemingly super-positive environment. Very grateful they were willing to take a chance on me.

What would you have done differently?
    The classic answer is gotten into research earlier and started math courses earlier, and of course that's true, but I had other focuses and interests in undergrad and I wouldn't give up those experiences for anything. No regrets on the application side either, I applied to my undergrad feeling comfortable that they would accept me, and only wanted to go somewhere else if it was considerably higher ranked so I didn't apply to anything below top-50 besides my alma mater. I have a two-body problem with a partner in industry, and California is super far away so that sucks, but I avoided applying anywhere that was difficult to get to (penn state, michigan state, etc).

Good post? Yes | No

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:Large state school
    Undergrad GPA: 3.48 (econ and math are 3.9+)

Type of Grad:
    Grad GPA:
    GRE: 165Q
    Math Courses: Calc 1-3 (A), Intro to Proof Writing (A), Linear Algebra (A), Abstract Algebra (A), Real Analysis (A), First year econometrics (A-)
    Econ Courses: Intro/Intermediate Micro Macro (A), Advanced Micro/Game Theory (A), Labor economics (A), Analysis of Asia (A), Research seminar (A), International Economics (A), Economics of sports (A), Intro Econometrics (A), Advanced Econometrics (A), probably more idk
    Other Courses:
    Letters of Recommendation: (1) from research advisor who I wrote senior paper for and then RA'd for (2) advanced metrics prof (3) intro metrics prof
    Research Experience: ~9mo
    Teaching Experience: Year of TA for intro micro/macro
    Research Interests: Development, labor, health
    SOP: Pretty mediocre most likely, but good enough to not be thrown out
    Other:

RESULTS:
    Acceptances: University of Washington, UT-Austin
    Waitlists: University of Virginia (withdrew from WL)
    Rejections: Maryland, Penn State, Rice, Wisconsin
    Pending: UNC (probably rejection)
    Attending: Washington
    Comments: Hard cycle. Happy to have acceptances though. My cumulative GPA is low from my first year of college with irrelevant classes. Was on academic probation my first year, so it's pretty distorted by that. Grades after that are much better.

What would you have done differently? Generic answer of take more math early on, but truthfully I had no idea I would be down this path so what can ya do. I am also coming straight from undergrad so in hindsight I should've applied for RAships before applying. Also should've applied to more schools, especially this year. Lucky to have gotten anything applying so narrowly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information