Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: preparation for the fall

monetary

Good post? Yes | No

Re: preparation for the fall

Sponsored Ad:
    There's some really good advice here, thanks all -- I actually had never even heard of LaTeX before so that was a good tip. My goal is to make sure my basic skills in calculus, linear algebra, and stats are sharp (shouldn't take too much work), then do extra review in Simon and Blume. I would prefer to take bookworm510 and others' advice to just relax, but I think my anxiety about starting off behind my peers outweighs my desire to relax.

I have actually never used Stata (my school and current job don't have licenses) but I'm very comfortable in R (and know a little Python). I've generally heard Stata is much more user-friendly and intuitive than R, am I right to assume my programming skills in R will let me pick up Stata pretty quickly?

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

It'd be great to pick up LaTeX now since some courses (macro, especially) require problem sets to be submitted in LaTeX, so it's better to fiddle around with it and get to know the basics now, while you're still relatively free, than trying to squeeze in time during the semester to get used to LaTeX.

Yes, if you're familiar with any programming language, Stata shouldn't be too difficult to pick up. You're more likely to use Python/R/Matlab in the first year than Stata.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re Stata: it's very different from R/Python/etc but super intuitive. I would play around with it - there's a pre-doc data task available at predoc.org that would be a good introduction. But wouldn't spend more than an hour or two using Stata.

Definitely want to reinforce the idea of using Lyx, it's a very very easy implementation of LaTeX and since I started using it I haven't looked back.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

LyX could be annoying to use for someone accustomed to Overleaf- but they are essentially the same for econ purposes. I do agree that the best way to pick up programming/math skills is to learn along the problem sets. Try to have fun everyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information