Urch Forums

Boston University rank for development and labor

dogkknnfahshsbn

Hi,

Where would folks over here rank BU overall and especially for development and labour? I know it's classified as a MRM but where exactly would it fit? Top 25? Top 30? Top 40? Also, if you're a PhD student at a MRM, what are some helpful advice you have for improving your profile and making yourself competitive for the academic job market?

BU is a solid top 20-25 program. While the US news rankings are imperfect, they're a decent proxy for the "tiers" of US programs, and BU has consistently been in the top 25 for as long as I've been in the field.

The applied micro faculty are strong, especially in labor/history. (Incidentally, they are also a very nice and supportive group of people). The development side has gone through some changes in recent years with departures and hirings but there's still plenty of support for students. Also there really isn't anyone right now doing development RCTs or experiments in the econ department (though some in Pardee do) so just be aware of that.

I know it's classified as a MRM

... for your own well-being and the good of the profession, stay away from the website that talks about programs like this.