Urch Forums

Absence of math courses

FourthWorld

I am from fourth or even fifth world country (considering the courses in my BA in Econ). I have taken only one math-related course: Linear Algebra with the mix of real analysis and one probability+math-stat course in my Econ BA. So, what can I do to cover up my gaps in terms of math? I've been admitted to Europe Econ master's but there PhD-level (mathematically rigous I think)courses starts from second year, at the time of my US PhD application I would not have taken those serious courses in MA.

If you have not taken any proper math classes, or if your econ classes aren't mathematically rigorous, then the masters programme that you got into isn't probably very rigorous. On the off-chance that it is, it will be very difficult for you to keep up with the math used in those PhD classes.

That being said, if the masters programme is, in fact, reputable, and you also end up doing well in the PhD first-year classes, then it should be serve as more than enough proof of mathematical ability. Therefore, you'll need those grades when you apply. This means that you shouldn't apply in the 2nd year, since those grades aren't out yet, by the time you apply.

The best thing you can do at this point is to self-study and fill in any gaps in your math knowledge to prepare for your masters. Something like this is really the bare minimum (since it's basically just math camp) that you should know, going into any PhD course. If most of what you see there is very obvious to you, and seem somewhat basic, then you are at a decent spot, in terms of mathematical preparation. Do note that the linked YouTube video series doesn't cover point-set topology (which is usually covered in a typical real analysis class), which you'll need for micro/macro.

I am from fourth or even fifth world country (considering the courses in my BA in Econ). I have taken only one math-related course: Linear Algebra with the mix of real analysis and one probability+math-stat course in my Econ BA. So, what can I do to cover up my gaps in terms of math? I've been admitted to Europe Econ master's but there PhD-level (mathematically rigous I think)courses starts from second year, at the time of my US PhD application I would not have taken those serious courses in MA.

If you are from Africa and your BS isn't called "mathematics and economics" but just economics, then your training is unlikely to be mathematically rigorous - except perhaps you have an econ master or have taken master level courses from places like ASE or the ENSAEs in the French-speaking parts.

If your Europe econ master program is QEM or anything decent in Germany, France, Belgium, Spain, Netherlands etc, you may struggle in the econ sequence, but if you're push hard enough, you will eventually succeed. Hopefully you will maintain top grades in all of these.

This forum prohibits people from posting links and stuff. Nonetheless, there is this online program called mathematics prep for econ PhD. It covers all the relevant math for an econ PhD and some more. This program is for outstanding econ students who have limited formal math and need to improve math skills and get transcripts for grades in the math courses to support PhD application.

The program is organized by me with support from real math faculty who teach these math courses. It's aimed at African students who're planning to do an econ or finance PhD down the road; however, from time to time, we let others who're interested to attend for free. If you can find it online, that will benefit you a lot if you're interested. Unfortunately links can't be posted here as per forum rules.

Over a period of 9 months, students complete at least 7 courses from

1. Real Analysis

2. Multivariate calculus

3. Differential equations

4. Linear algebra

5. Stochastic calculus

6. Dynamic optimization

7. Measure-theoretic probability

8. Mathematical statistics

9. Network theory

10. Functional analysis

11. Measure theory

If you're interested, search hard for the program. Hopefully you'll find it.

Self-study, as the previous responder mentioned, is another gainful activity that you can embark upon.

Good luck with your Euro master. A Euro master can be pretty nice and make up for weaknesses. I did the QEM myself many years ago. If that's the euro program you will be going for your master, then it's a good program. If I remember well, that program has placed students in Michigan, Harvard, Chicago, etc, and other euro places. If it's TSE you're going to, that's even better.

If you have not taken any proper math classes, or if your econ classes aren't mathematically rigorous, then the masters programme that you got into isn't probably very rigorous. On the off-chance that it is, it will be very difficult for you to keep up with the math used in those PhD classes.

Thanks for responding. Yeah, my BA is shotty one. But, actually, I've been admitted to several MAs which place and/or placed to US Top-5 PhDs and also I've been admitted to the couple German masters from top-5 of this country but I wouldn't consider them.

That being said, if the masters programme is, in fact, reputable, and you also end up doing well in the PhD first-year classes, then it should be serve as more than enough proof of mathematical ability. Therefore, you'll need those grades when you apply. This means that you shouldn't apply in the 2nd year, since those grades aren't out yet, by the time you apply.

The best thing you can do at this point is to self-study and fill in any gaps in your math knowledge to prepare for your masters. Something like this is really the bare minimum (since it's basically just math camp) that you should know, going into any PhD course. If most of what you see there is very obvious to you, and seem somewhat basic, then you are at a decent spot, in terms of mathematical preparation. Do note that the linked YouTube video series doesn't cover point-set topology (which is usually covered in a typical real analysis class), which you'll need for micro/macro.

Thank you for the advice. So, as I understood, I should apply for PhD after the completed MA? I have another option: to do MS in Math modelling in top russian school but I think it is waste of two years.

If you are from Africa and your BS isn't called "mathematics and economics" but just economics, then your training is unlikely to be mathematically rigorous - except perhaps you have an econ master or have taken master level courses from places like ASE or the ENSAEs in the French-speaking parts.

Thanks for answering. No, I am not from Africa but yes, it is the case in my country too, I mean, it is simply "economics".

Thanks for responding. Yeah, my BA is not good one. But, actually, I've been admitted to several MAs which place and/or placed to US Top-5 PhDs and also I've been admitted to the couple German masters from top-5 of this country but I wouldn't consider them.

The best thing you can do at this point is to self-study and fill in any gaps in your math knowledge to prepare for your masters. Something like is really the bare minimum (since it's basically just math camp) that you should know, going into any PhD course. If most of what you see there is very obvious to you, and seem somewhat basic, then you are at a decent spot, in terms of mathematical preparation. Do note that the linked YouTube video series doesn't cover point-set topology (which is usually covered in a typical real analysis class), which you'll need for micro/macro.

Thank you for the advice. So, as I understood, I should apply for PhD after the completed MA? I have another option: to do MS in Math modelling in top russian school but I think it is waste of two years.

Good luck with your Euro master. A Euro master can be pretty nice and make up for weaknesses. I did the QEM myself many years ago. If that's the euro program you will be going for your master, then it's a good program. If I remember well, that program has placed students in Michigan, Harvard, Chicago, etc, and other euro places. If it's TSE you're going to, that's even better.

I've been admitted to QEM but without funding. I've heard it is mainly for industry and It is hard to stay in touch with profs while you are every semester in different country:distracted:

Thanks for responding. Yeah, my BA is not good one. But, actually, I've been admitted to several MAs which place and/or placed to US Top-5 PhDs and also I've been admitted to the couple German masters from top-5 of this country but I wouldn't consider them.

First off, as someone mentioned above, Harvard Extension seems like a decent option but it doesn't immediate address your deficiency in math prep for even your masters. So it might be something to consider after your masters, if you got decent (but not fantastic) grades and want to bolster your math a little bit for PhD application.

It'll be a lot more informative to list down some/all of the programmes that you got into.

Just because you can do a math masters doesn't mean you should. If it's rigorous, and you're going in with almost no math background, you're almost guaranteed to fail; unless of course, if it's very applied. But then again, if it's applied, then there's little value in terms of PhD prep anyway.

Just check out the linked YouTube series I posted above. That is the best way to gauge how much you actually have to make up for in preparation for your masters in the Fall.

First off, as someone mentioned above, Harvard Extension seems like a decent option but it doesn't immediate address your deficiency in math prep for even your masters. So it might be something to consider after your masters, if you got decent (but not fantastic) grades and want to bolster your math a little bit for PhD application.

Just check out the linked YouTube series I posted above. That is the best way to gauge how much you actually have to make up for in preparation for your masters in the Fall.

I've run through some playlists on this channel and I am quite familiar with those things thanks to my dad's garage filled up with soviet math books :) My concern is not about my prep for master but about written proof of my math competence for PhD adcom, I mean courses like RA,DE, calc-123 courses on the undergrad transcript record . So, I am wondering how can I do that: to take GRE math, or some online courses like MIT's micromasters, harvard extension or take non-credit courses from another university? I mean, it is not as if I'm gonna write in my PhD SOP "Hey adcom guy, I haven't been taught math at university but I can explain what is isolated point and prove bolzano/weierstrass theorem to you"

Just because you can do a math masters doesn't mean you should. If it's rigorous, and you're going in with almost no math background, you're almost guaranteed to fail; unless of course, if it's very applied. But then again, if it's applied, then there's little value in terms of PhD prep anyway.

Yeah, you are right. It is not about pure math, it is likely more applied. Here is some courses of this mater: Topics in algebra and Number theory, Topics in mathematical analysis; Mathematical modelling; Econometrics; Computational complexity theory; Discrete function theory; Calculus of variations; Computational optimization; Asymptotic methods in analysis; Intelligent system theory; Imitation and modelling; Automata theory

To respond to your comments

1. Guess you heard from the wrong people. QEM is not mainly for industry. Take a look at the placement, it's all online

2. It's true that semesters are in different places. However, for people who manage to make an impression, letters are not hard to get. I agree it's hard to make an impression, because many people there are smart though I figured how to do this in my time

3. At least in my days, QEM mostly funds people who have a pure math or physics etc or math and econ background. Anything else, funding will be hard. This explains your case.

Good luck as you develop math skills.

Take a look at the placement

It is not consistent placement record.

It's true that semesters are in different places. However, for people who manage to make an impression, letters are not hard to get. I agree it's hard to make an impression, because many people there are smart though I figured how to do this in my time

It is way easier to get letters from faculty you know 1-2 years

At least in my days, QEM mostly funds people who have a pure math or physics etc or math and econ background. Anything else, funding will be hard. This explains your case.

Yeah. I wasn't aiming for funding when applying, I've just applied to QEM as a last resort, if I wouldn't be admitted to other schools

Good luck as you develop math skills.

Thank you

Hey, I saw you mentioned GRE Math here(i think you mean the GRE Math Subject) and just want you to know that I don't think econ adcom cares that much of GRE Math Sub, and to be honest GRE Math Sub has little to do with your actual math knowledge that helps with econ work, but just how fast you can calculate stuff based on Cal 1-3.

If you are seriously down this path and want to use GRE Math as a signal of math prep, make sure you prepare well. It is not an easy test. Good luck!