Urch Forums

Fall 2022 Profile Evaluation

gxr227

Hi Everyone, I am a master student in Econometrics and Mathematical Economics at Tilburg University. I'm currently hoping to apply to Econ and Finance PhD programs for fall 2022. Hoping to get feedback on my profile to help narrow down the range of schools that I plan on applying to. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.S. in Economics from Beijing Normal University

Undergrad GPA: 2.70/4.00 overall

Econ Courses Bachelor: Principles of Micro(B), Principles of Macro(B), Intermediate Micro(B), Intermediate Macro©, Econometrics(B)

Math Courses: Calc I ©, Calc-II©, Linear Algerbra©, Probability Theory (B), Mathematical Statistics(B)

Type of First Grad: MSc. in Economics and Business, Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam

Grad GPA :6.8/10(approximately 3.0/4, B)

Type of Second Grad: MSc. Econometrics and Mathematical Economics, Tilburg University

Highlighted courses: Data Science: 8.0/10(A); Microeconometrics:8/10 (A); Panel Data Analysis:8.5/10 (A)

GPA: 7.5/10(approximately 3.5/4)

Thesis: working, estimated grade would be 8/10 (A)

GRE: Will take this fall

LOR's: 1 LOR from my thesis supervisor. He's a recent graduated PhD, the letter would be strong as I am expecting, but he's not famous.

2 lecture LORs from an Econ professor. One of them is a very famous professor with 54 h-index and high ranking in the (microeconomics) field; another is an AP and she'll be my third choice. Both of these lectures are interactive lectures, I earned top ranking on both of them. However, I did not have the opportunity to know if the letter would be strong or not(but you know, how strong a lecture LOR could be).

Research Experience: Thesis works

Research Interests: Macro-Finance, Asset Pricing, Monetary Economics

Applying to: Top EU Econ + few Finance programs and Boston College, listed below

[TABLE=width: 0]

[TR]

[TD]Name of School[/TD]

[TD]Program[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]Tilburg[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]F&E[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]Tinbergen[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]Economics[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]Groningen[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]SSE[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]E&F[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Stockholm U[/TD]

[TD]Economics[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]Aarhus[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]CBS[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]Finance[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #C9DAF8]BI[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #C9DAF8]Economics[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #C9DAF8]Glasgow[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]Boston College[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]Maastricht[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #CFE2F3]Sfi-Lugano[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #CFE2F3]Finance[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #D9EAD3]Lund University[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #D9EAD3]Economics[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Aalto University[/TD]

[TD]Economics[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Barcelona GSE[/TD]

[TD]Economics[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]INSEAD[/TD]

[TD]Management[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Goethe University Frankfurt[/TD]

[TD]E&F[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Admission holding:

PhD. Economics, UT Dallas

PhD. Accounting and Finance, U Strathclyde

Concerns : Bachelor, first Grad and Math courses are a piece of ****, lack of publication. Even failed to get excellent GPA in second Master. Didn't have sounding research experience.

I know my experience is a piece of ****, so if you think I'm not qualified to any of the listed school, it's always welcome if you can recommend me to somewhere I deserve other than hell.

Thank you very much no matter you replied or just take a glimpse and read till here.

Edited by gxr227

I do not have any useful 2 cents about your school choice, but definitely find more research work other than your thesis? Some RA work and having someone who can discuss about your research ability(individual and as collaborator) as your letter writer is pretty crucial from what I've experienced.

Also I'm just curious why you would apply to BC as the only school in the US?

Good luck in Fall 2022!

Hi Everyone, I am a master student in Econometrics and Mathematical Economics at Tilburg University. I'm currently hoping to apply to Econ and Finance PhD programs for fall 2022. Hoping to get feedback on my profile to help narrow down the range of schools that I plan on applying to. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.S. in Economics from Beijing Normal University

Undergrad GPA: 2.70/4.00 overall

Econ Courses Bachelor: Principles of Micro(B), Principles of Macro(B), Intermediate Micro(B), Intermediate Macro©, Econometrics(B)

Math Courses: Calc I ©, Calc-II©, Linear Algerbra©, Probability Theory (B), Mathematical Statistics(B)

Type of First Grad: MSc. in Economics and Business, Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam

Grad GPA :6.8/10(approximately 3.0/4, B)

Type of Second Grad: MSc. Econometrics and Mathematical Economics, Tilburg University

Highlighted courses: Data Science: 8.0/10(A); Microeconometrics:8/10 (A); Panel Data Analysis:8.5/10 (A)

GPA: 7.5/10(approximately 3.5/4)

Thesis: working, estimated grade would be 8/10 (A)

GRE: Will take this fall

LOR's: 1 LOR from my thesis supervisor. He's a recent graduated PhD, the letter would be strong as I am expecting, but he's not famous.

2 lecture LORs from an Econ professor. One of them is a very famous professor with 54 h-index and high ranking in the (microeconomics) field; another is an AP and she'll be my third choice. Both of these lectures are interactive lectures, I earned top ranking on both of them. However, I did not have the opportunity to know if the letter would be strong or not(but you know, how strong a lecture LOR could be).

Research Experience: Thesis works

Research Interests: Macro-Finance, Asset Pricing, Monetary Economics

Applying to: Top EU Econ + few Finance programs and Boston College, listed below

[TABLE=width: 0]

[TR]

[TD]Name of School[/TD]

[TD]Program[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]Tilburg[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]F&E[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]Tinbergen[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]Groningen[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]SSE[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]E&F[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Stockholm U[/TD]

[TD]Economics[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]Aarhus[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]CBS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #C9DAF8]BI[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #C9DAF8]Glasgow[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]Boston College[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00]Maastricht[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #CFE2F3]Sfi-Lugano[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #CFE2F3]Finance[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #D9EAD3]Lund University[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #D9EAD3]Economics[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Aalto University[/TD]

[TD]Economics[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Barcelona GSE[/TD]

[TD]Economics[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]INSEAD[/TD]

[TD]Management[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Goethe University Frankfurt[/TD]

[TD]E&F[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Admission holding: PhD. Economics, UT Dallas

Concerns : Bachelor, first Grad and Math courses are a piece of ****, lack of publication. Even failed to get excellent GPA in second Master. Didn't have sounding research experience.

I know my experience is a piece of ****, so if you think I'm not qualified to any of the listed school, it's always welcome if you can recommend me to somewhere I deserve other than hell.

Thank you very much no matter you replied or just take a glimpse and read till here.

I think your gpa might be a bit too low for those schools. They are all respected universities in Europe. Try something in Singapore/ Australia as well.

I think your gpa might be a bit too low for those schools. They are all respected universities in Europe. Try something in Singapore/ Australia as well.

I am fully aware of my flaw of GPA, so I tried to diversify my school of choice. I wonder if you have any school in mind given my circumstances? I think my choice of schools are just as good as some top Aus schools such as Monash, NSWU and ANU. Thank you.

I do not have any useful 2 cents about your school choice, but definitely find more research work other than your thesis? Some RA work and having someone who can discuss about your research ability(individual and as collaborator) as your letter writer is pretty crucial from what I've experienced.

Also I'm just curious why you would apply to BC as the only school in the US?

Good luck in Fall 2022!

Thank you for your reply and advice. Currently there're not so much choice of RA work available since the majority of RA positions requires working permit in the US or UK, which I'm afraid I don't have. Do you know any alternative ways I could try?

FYI, The reason I chose BC as the only school in the US because: 1. My research interest fits one of the professor there(Peter Ireland); 2. I love Boston the city, but 3. given current circumstances I'm a little bit reluctant to go to US.

Edited by gxr227

I am fully aware of my flaw of GPA, so I tried to diversify my school of choice. I wonder if you have any school in mind given my circumstances? I think my choice of schools are just as good as some top Aus schools such as Monash, NSWU and ANU. Thank you.

I think Australia/ Singapore universities might be easier to get in than at least half of the schools in your list. Furthermore most Europe uni have a strict cutoff wrt GPA. I was rejected by all Europe schools while getting into 2 top 20 US. Also imo it is better to go to the best uni in a country rather third rate uni in another (except for the US and maybe UK)

I think Australia/ Singapore universities might be easier to get in than at least half of the schools in your list. Furthermore most Europe uni have a strict cutoff wrt GPA. I was rejected by all Europe schools while getting into 2 top 20 US. Also imo it is better to go to the best uni in a country rather third rate uni in another (except for the US and maybe UK)

Thank you very much! I'll try ANU and Monash.

Thank you for your reply and advice. Currently there're not so much choice of RA work available since the majority of RA positions requires working permit in the US or UK, which I'm afraid I don't have. Do you know any alternative ways I could try?

FYI, The reason I chose BC as the only school in the US because: 1. My research interest fits one of the professor there(Peter Ireland); 2. I love Boston the city, but 3. given current circumstances I'm a little bit reluctant to go to US.

A lot of RAships in the US actually sponsor J-1 visa right now. Be sure to search and apply to increase your probability of getting into schools.

As for current circumstances that may deter you from going to US, I see where it comes from. Good luck.

A lot of RAships in the US actually sponsor J-1 visa right now. Be sure to search and apply to increase your probability of getting into schools.

As for current circumstances that may deter you from going to US, I see where it comes from. Good luck.

Thank you. I already got admission of UT Dallas so if I can get stipend from them then I'll go to there.