Urch Forums

What classes should I take based on my profile?

Hgjasbt

PROFILE:Type of Undergrad: B.S. Math, B.A. Econ with honors, T10

Undergrad GPA: 3.45 (econ: 3.93, math: 3.87). First year GPA was extremely low with several Ds/Fs.

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA :N/A

GRE: Q170, V165, AW5.5

Econ Courses: Honors Intermediate Micro (A), Honors Intermediate Macro (A), Honors Econometrics (A), Auction Theory (A), Dynamical Economic Modeling (A), Industrial Organization (A), Experimental Economics (A), Econometric & Data Science Methods (A), MA Game Theory (A), PhD Micro II (A), Honors Thesis (A).

Math Courses: Honors Calc I-II (C, C-), Calc III (A), Intro to Proofs (A), Abstract Linear Algebra (A), Real Analysis I-III (accelerated/regular) (A-/A), Topology (A), Algebra I (A-), Honors Probability (A-), Measure Theory (A-), ODEs (A-), MA Mathematical Statistics (A-).

LOR's: I had one strong letter from my thesis advisor when applying to a masters program, not sure about PhD programs later on. Will hopefully have 2 strong letters from RA position at a top predoc program. All are senior faculty.

Research Experience: 2-year RA, Honors Thesis and 3 individual research term papers (50+ pages each).

Awards: Outstanding thesis prize

Research Interests: Not sure yet

Applying to: Not sure yet

---------------------------

I would like to get some advice for what courses to take based on my profile in the coming two years during my RA. Currently I'm trying to choose between:

• Functional Analysis
  • Dynamical Systems
  • PhD Metrics I-III
  • PhD Micro III
  • PhD Macro I-III
  • Machine Learning
  • Algorithms
  • Measure-theoretic probability
  • MA Big Data and Economics
  • MA microeconometrics

I'm leaning towards PhD metrics in my first year and time-permitting, functional analysis. Then, machine learning and algorithms in my second year and perhaps PhD macro. I'm also unsure which is better: An A- in a class like PhD metrics or functional analysis or an A in a class that is slightly easier, like MA metrics. I'm also unsure if it's necessary to build a profile with an obvious field of interest by taking classes that are relevant to the field.

I am taking a maximum of 6 classes per year.

Thanks for any suggestions, especially if they are classes I have not considered or listed.

Is there any reason why you're not considering PhD Micro I? The first one is usually more mathematically rigorous one (and usually the one that people take).

As it currently stands, you have more than enough coursework. If you're so inclined, you can maybe take measure-theoretic probability, PhD Metrics I, Macro I and functional analysis (if you are entertaining the possibility of doing macro in the future). Other than those few courses, I don't think you really need more coursework. You should focus on doing well during your pre-doc to lock in solid letters for application.

Is there any reason why you're not considering PhD Micro I? The first one is usually more mathematically rigorous one (and usually the one that people take).

As it currently stands, you have more than enough coursework. If you're so inclined, you can maybe take measure-theoretic probability, PhD Metrics I, Macro I and functional analysis (if you are entertaining the possibility of doing macro in the future). Other than those few courses, I don't think you really need more coursework. You should focus on doing well during your pre-doc to lock in solid letters for application.

Thanks. I could take courses during my RA at a heavily discounted rate and so I thought I might as well take advantage of that option.

As for PhD Micro, at my school Micro II is the proof-based one, while Micro I focuses on the economic intuition.

What's your opinion on machine learning? Some people say it's a fad but some say it could be a big component of economics soon.

Machine Learning might only be relevant if you want to do econometrics since there are a fair number of people incorporating machine learning into econometrics now (as compared to a couple years ago), but if your interests lie elsewhere, I don't think it's worth it.

I get what you mean, but remember that the main purpose of the pre-doc is to get some solid research experience and secure a good letter, not load up on more classes. Virtually everyone there will have the same goal, so it'll take a fair bit of effort to stand out. Keep that in mind.

Machine Learning might only be relevant if you want to do econometrics since there are a fair number of people incorporating machine learning into econometrics now (as compared to a couple years ago), but if your interests lie elsewhere, I don't think it's worth it.

I get what you mean, but remember that the main purpose of the pre-doc is to get some solid research experience and secure a good letter, not load up on more classes. Virtually everyone there will have the same goal, so it'll take a fair bit of effort to stand out. Keep that in mind.

Thanks for the reminder. I might take one or two classes initially and see if I can juggle the time for both effectively. If not, I'll definitely prioritize the pre-doc.