Thread: Australian Profile Eval

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Post Australian Profile Eval

Sponsored Ad:
    Undergraduate - Top 5 Australian econ school
    Field : Major in Economics and Finance
    Undergraduate G.P.A - 6.97/7, university medal
    Economics courses (Undergrad) : Intro, Intermediate and Honours Level Micro and Macro - all 7s. Micro Policy (7), Macro Policy (7), Intro Metrics (7), Intermediate Metrics (7), Mathematical Economics (6)
    Maths courses (Undergrad): Advanced Calculus and Linear Algebra 1, Advanced Multivariate Calculus and Ord Differential Equations, Mathematical Analysis and Advanced Topics, Calc and Linear Algebra 2, Mathematical Probability, Applied Mathematical Analysis, Statistical Modelling - All 7s
    GRE: 169 Q
    LORS : 2 from thesis supervisors and 1 from summer RA at ANU. Advisors should be strong.
    Applying to : US top 20, Oxbridge and LSE. Top ARE programs
    Research/Teaching : Corporate Finance TA during uni. Honours thesis awarded undergraduate thesis prize.
    Concerns : Not too much guidance online regarding Australian applicants. How much would the 6 in math econ hurt me?
    Looking for :
    Looking to apply in the cycle at the end of 2022, is there any benefit to additional maths courses?
    Curious to gain some perspective on the range I should target and competitiveness for ARE programs as well.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Australian Profile Eval

Quote Originally Posted by lockdown View Post
    Undergraduate - Top 5 Australian econ school
    Field : Major in Economics and Finance
    Undergraduate G.P.A - 6.97/7, university medal
    Economics courses (Undergrad) : Intro, Intermediate and Honours Level Micro and Macro - all 7s. Micro Policy (7), Macro Policy (7), Intro Metrics (7), Intermediate Metrics (7), Mathematical Economics (6)
    Maths courses (Undergrad): Advanced Calculus and Linear Algebra 1, Advanced Multivariate Calculus and Ord Differential Equations, Mathematical Analysis and Advanced Topics, Calc and Linear Algebra 2, Mathematical Probability, Applied Mathematical Analysis, Statistical Modelling - All 7s
    GRE: 169 Q
    LORS : 2 from thesis supervisors and 1 from summer RA at ANU. Advisors should be strong.
    Applying to : US top 20, Oxbridge and LSE. Top ARE programs
    Research/Teaching : Corporate Finance TA during uni. Honours thesis awarded undergraduate thesis prize.
    Concerns : Not too much guidance online regarding Australian applicants. How much would the 6 in math econ hurt me?
    Looking for :
    Looking to apply in the cycle at the end of 2022, is there any benefit to additional maths courses?
    Curious to gain some perspective on the range I should target and competitiveness for ARE programs as well.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Folk wisdom is that a university medal should get you into the top 10, say. That folk wisdom though is pretty old, and the new equilibrium of very many applicants having one or two years of full-time RA experience might change the competitiveness of people straight out of undergrad/honours.

I would be quite confident about top 20, cautiously optimistic about top 10, and any higher really depends on the reputation and strength of letters. If the writers are not known in the US this would pose a problem. But I am student, have never been on an admissions committee, so take all this with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't worry about the one 6 given the 7's in the math courses.

Also, apart from the weird cache around Oxbridge that still exists in Aus, why are you applying there? LSE is good (not sure about stipends) but I am not sure you can argue Oxbridge would be in the US top 20 or even top 30. Might still be a good fit, but don't apply just because it sounds fancy.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Australian Profile Eval

In my experience, that'd be a decent shout for a T20-30, with an outside shot at a T15-20. Anything more than that seems unlikely from what I've seen though.

Your advisors will know best, of course.

Thread Information