Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Profile Evaluation for PhD

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Evaluation for PhD

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by galv View Post
    Hi Zshfryoh1,

In your opinion and experience, which schools do you think are strong in mechanism design (for both econs/ B-schools)?

Also, since you have an interest in (empirical) microstructure, which schools (in US) do you think are strong in (general) microstructure? A few B-schools come to mind - NYU, MIT, Stanford GSB, Berkeley, Maryland, Columbia’s DRO, Cornell but these are top schools. Might there be any less competitive programs?

Thanks
    I am not as familiar with mechanism design and who is doing what at the moment.

For microstructure no lower ranked school has a large group. Even at the top schools most only have 3-4 microstructure people. But a few lower ranked schools come to mind. Rutgers Business School has a couple microstructure people with a couple more doing work in information or financial econometrics that overlaps with microstructure and the university has a few other people split up between the OR, econ, stat and math departments that do some work in microstructure. Baruch - Zicklin has a few people in the finance department and I think one or two more in the Stats and IS department. UIUC - Gies has Mao Ye who has started making a name for himself in microstructure, plus a couple junior faculty. I think Copenhagen Business School in Denmark has a few people. Emory U - Goizueta has Clifton Green, and possibly a couple other people who do it as a secondary area. There is Ingrid Werner at Ohio State University but I don't think any one else there. USC Marshall has Larry Harris, but I don't know of anyone else, though David Hirshleifer just moved there and he has done work in almost every part of finance. ASU - Carey has Hendrik Bessembinder and couple others. WUSTL - Olin has a few people who do it as a secondary area, but off the top of my head I don't think anyone does it as a primary area. University of Houston used to have a few people but I am not sure if they still do.

If you want to add a few more top departments, there are a number of people at U Toronto - Rotman and a couple at UCLA - Anderson. Columbia actually has two top people in the Finance department, Larry Glosten and Charles Jones. CMU - Tepper also has a few people. Wharton probably has the most well rounded finance department out there and has people doing everything. Duke has some people doing econometric theory work that has applications in microstructure, but I think they are actually in the econ department (Tim Bollerslev, a couple others). The Bendheim Center at Princeton has a couple of people, but they don't have their own PhD program. Instead you get accepted into either Econ or ORFE and then get into Bendheim Center.

Honestly, your grades are all over the place, and that may keep you out of the top programs, even if you do explain it in your SOP.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by zshfryoh1 View Post
    I am not as familiar with mechanism design and who is doing what at the moment.

For microstructure no lower ranked school has a large group. Even at the top schools most only have 3-4 microstructure people. But a few lower ranked schools come to mind. Rutgers Business School has a couple microstructure people with a couple more doing work in information or financial econometrics that overlaps with microstructure and the university has a few other people split up between the OR, econ, stat and math departments that do some work in microstructure. Baruch - Zicklin has a few people in the finance department and I think one or two more in the Stats and IS department. UIUC - Gies has Mao Ye who has started making a name for himself in microstructure, plus a couple junior faculty. I think Copenhagen Business School in Denmark has a few people. Emory U - Goizueta has Clifton Green, and possibly a couple other people who do it as a secondary area. There is Ingrid Werner at Ohio State University but I don't think any one else there. USC Marshall has Larry Harris, but I don't know of anyone else, though David Hirshleifer just moved there and he has done work in almost every part of finance. ASU - Carey has Hendrik Bessembinder and couple others. WUSTL - Olin has a few people who do it as a secondary area, but off the top of my head I don't think anyone does it as a primary area. University of Houston used to have a few people but I am not sure if they still do.

If you want to add a few more top departments, there are a number of people at U Toronto - Rotman and a couple at UCLA - Anderson. Columbia actually has two top people in the Finance department, Larry Glosten and Charles Jones. CMU - Tepper also has a few people. Wharton probably has the most well rounded finance department out there and has people doing everything. Duke has some people doing econometric theory work that has applications in microstructure, but I think they are actually in the econ department (Tim Bollerslev, a couple others). The Bendheim Center at Princeton has a couple of people, but they don't have their own PhD program. Instead you get accepted into either Econ or ORFE and then get into Bendheim Center.

Honestly, your grades are all over the place, and that may keep you out of the top programs, even if you do explain it in your SOP.

I will look up your suggestions.

I recognize some of my grades can raise eyebrows at the top places. All but 1 of my B+/ B grades were taken during the COVID period. I was severely affected by it. My grades before and post-COVID paint a more consistent picture (3.8+ GPA). I will specify these details in SOP and I'd be happy with tier 1.5 schools.
    Thanks for pointing it out nevertheless.

Out of curiosity, where did you eventually pursue your PhD? Did you eventually pursue a masters?
    Last edited by galv; 09-18-2021 at 08:42 AM.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by galv View Post
    I will look up your suggestions.

I recognize some of my grades can raise eyebrows at the top places. All but 1 of my B+/ B grades were taken during the COVID period. I was severely affected by it. My grades before and post-COVID paint a more consistent picture (3.8+ GPA). I will specify these details in SOP and I'd be happy with tier 1.5 schools.
    Thanks for pointing it out nevertheless.

Out of curiosity, where did you eventually pursue your PhD? Did you eventually pursue a masters?
    I sent you a PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information