Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About preparing GRE

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

About preparing GRE

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi people,

I will prepare again the GRE during this summer and I wish to buy more material. May be the question comes at a wrong time, but I hope you can give me an advice about a good book with a cd, with the focus on the quantitative section. Specifically, what do you think about Barrons for example?

thanks a lot!

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Make sure you take advantage of all the free options. There are like 20 free practice tests in the big book or whatever they talk about on the GRE forum (you can download online, if you go to the forum the tests will be referenced by test and section number so everyone there is taking them). They are previous tests, but the test has somewhat outgrown the practice if you know what I'm saying. There are also some wrong answers in the key so be careful. Make sure you take the two free powerprep tests, but I would in general save those until closer to your test taking time.

For extra CATs use 800score and princeton review.

Other books are all similar and tend to give really dumb practice tests that emphasize the points they are trying to make rather than give you a real sense for the GRE, but if you have time, do more of these as well.

All this is assuming you are still taking a CAT, which I am not sure is true in 2007.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    My advice: get your hands on as many as you can. I practiced with about 4 different "brands" of practice tests, and got HUGELY variant scores depending on which brand I was working with. None of those scores reflected very accurately what I actually got in the end. (All the practice tests underscored me, because I tended to lose points on the "easiest" questions, which I never even saw on the actual GRE.)

I suggest finding some friends who also need to take the GRE and going in together on buying 3-4 different books with tests.

Of course, isn't the GRE changing this coming fall anyway? So I'm not sure what sort of impact that will have on test prep.

The one thing I will say is that I was preparing with a book that had, I think, 35 math questions in 30 minutes for the quant section. I never read the intro, so I had no idea that the real test had only 25 or whatever it is. Either way, prepping with MORE questions in the same time made the test itself a lot less stressful. (And was a pleasant surprise on test day. )

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    thanks abababba! yeah, I'm thinking on taking the test before next March, and I recently noticed that the CAT will be running on September. But thanks for your warning because I didn´t realize so far that there will be a change in the test...
    So, do you think that 800score and princeton review give better practice than Barron´s? I´ll also check the free options!

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No
    I thought the practice tests for Barron's were closer to the actual types of questions I saw on the GRE than some of the other companies' practice materials.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    thank you, Zoethor2!
    My problem is mainly with difficult questions. I took the test twice and I always got stuck in a complex question (I think that it's the second or the third), becoming very nervous for the rest of the time. So, I couldnīt get more of a 760 in the quantitative section. I think that dealing with nerves will be my main challenge!

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7 View Post
    I thought the practice tests for Barron's were closer to the actual types of questions I saw on the GRE than some of the other companies' practice materials.
    Does anybody else heard the same as shootermcgavin7?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    how moot are the current responses, given that the GRE is changing next fall?

i have no idea the degree to which the test is changing, but i know they're incorporating new sections.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No
    If you live near a bookstore, you can take the "poor man's" approach that I took last year to studying for the GRE. I would go to the bookstore about four times a week and do a couple practice tests each time (on scratch paper, of course!). This way, you can experience a much more diverse sample of GRE questions.

Also, don't forget that on the actual GRE, you can miss a couple questions and still get an 800. On the practice GREs on paper, if you miss one question, I think you are automatically down to 780 or 760.

There is a good amount of free material available from the GRE website at (www.gre.org/pracmats.html).
    Last edited by Antichron; 12-28-2006 at 02:18 AM.
    MIT Economics, class of 2011

Good post? Yes | No
    practice is necessary but not sufficient. i think you really, really need to understand very thoroughly all the questions you are doing, and how to manipulate any question in any "new" way. like instead just knowing the formula for standard deviation, what happens if i threw in a smiley face into the dataset? (probably a bad example but you know what I mean).

If you have to use practice materials, the best predictor (in my case) was the powerprep exam by ETS. you can download it on their website. the questions won't necessarily be the same, but the scoring algorithm is close to the real one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information