Urch Forums

Will a high percentage of GRE math sub help?

ecsrui

I am planning to apply a phd or ma programme in Economics prog this year,

since my undergrad is in a major which did not value mathematics much and one of my math scores is quite bad ( I hesitate to say that it is Probability), so I plan to take a GRE math sub to compensate.

Will it help in the process of applying if I get a high pencentage in this exam (say 92% or above)?

PS I am in China:(

It may help a tiny bit. But if you have that sort of score as an undergrad, you would likely be a competitive applicant at a top school like Berkeley or Princeton in mathematics. 92% is quite hard, as the majority of people who score very well (80% +) have had graduate mathematics and have taught stuff like calculus...

IMHO, the Math Subject GRE wouldn't be useful unless you have a lot of math knowledge that's not already reflected in your transcript. For example, if you didn't take a real analysis class but you've studied it extensively on your own, then you might be able to demonstrate that by getting a higher score on the subject test than someone with your preparation otherwise would.