Urch Forums

Excellent Economics Graduate School Application Resource

henrysurfer

I'm skeptical of the application resources out there, so I looked at the OP's other posted messages. Almost all of them involve promoting the same website across other TM forums. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the OP is probably promoting something in which he/she has a financial interest.

So take this site with a (large) grain of salt.

I'm skeptical of the application resources out there, so I looked at the OP's other posted messages. Almost all of them involve promoting the same website across other TM forums. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the OP is probably promoting something in which he/she has a financial interest.

So take this site with a (large) grain of salt.

Bingo.

This poster has a history of promoting this website (and taking swipes at a competitor's site).

It's a good resource for when you are waiting to hear back from schools, and to find out when other folks are hearing back.

It also has a lot of historical information on when schools reported in previous years.

But do you have a financial interest in the site?

DIAF SPAMMER!!!

Roy

do u really think these sites make money...give me a break.

it's a service to applicants..

The way you are trying to promote this website, which is ofcourse not limited to this thread but a lot of other threads, makes people think what you really are up to... so dont blame people when they ask whether you have any financial interest in that website.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree these sites are not profitable and their existence is not to make money. If you have every ran any website with google adsense you would know that these sites make about 1 cent for thousands of views.

I think it's a noble thing what they are doing. Any resource that helps us during our application process is a plus, people shouldn't be so negative.

I haven't posted here since I didn't want to bump this thread, but since it is already at the top now....

I think it's obvious that henrysurfer is involved in the development of this site. I don't know if lizhao is a real person or just a clone account which henrysurfer is using to bump the thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter.

Obviously this person has a financial interest in this site. Even if there aren't any ads right now (I don't know, I use adblocker), the person is likely hoping that an explosion of interest in their site will eventually result in ads and hence ad revenue, or even worse, perhaps they want to sell our information?

Just look at facebook and myspace, this business strategy can be successful. No one buys that line "all these type of sites can only lose money...."

Actually, I would be more trusting if henrysurfer straight up said they want to make money. There's nothing wrong with profit and business, but this ridiculous "volunteer service" facade is just annoying.

I used to own a business and I paid over $225 a month for the lowest level ad package something like 10,000 impressions/month on a different site... I was one of 72 vendor's. These sites can easily make money if someone works at it and spams enough forums to get the traffic. This isn't freaking charity...

Roy

huh? you paid 225 a month for 10,000 impressions? You must have gotten ripped off....... generally you get like 1 dollar for 1,000 impressions.

it doesn't even pay for the bandwidth. seriously - these sites are basically like volunteer services. there's no way to make money from them.

and the facebook analogy is pretty dumb....applicant tools are only useful once or twice in a lifetime.....

:hmm:

huh? you paid 225 a month for 10,000 impressions? You must have gotten ripped off....... generally you get like 1 dollar for 1,000 impressions.

it doesn't even pay for the bandwidth. seriously - these sites are basically like volunteer services. there's no way to make money from them.

and the facebook analogy is pretty dumb....applicant tools are only useful once or twice in a lifetime.....

:hmm:

Precisely. Who cares, anyway if they do make a little money? I care more about the editorial independence. There are plenty of biased "directories" that show up via a Google search. Only paid programs get listed. Too bad that some people are duped.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
polka, first of all I'm not a clone. I am just a user of the web site and if you don't like a service don't use it. No one is forcing you to use it. If it was so easy to make money wouldn't you would think more people would be doing it. I am using primarily using Yuster because the other web site are no longer maintained and have really started to showing their age. I find it crazy to think that people would come to a board to argue rather than spend their time focusing on their application.

Sigh, another bump for this thread....

polka, first of all I'm not a clone. I am just a user of the web site and if you don't like a service don't use it.

Whether or not you are a clone doesn't matter. What I don't like is people junking up the forums with ads and then constantly bumping the ads to the top. That is exactly what is going on in this thread.

Certainly there is a fuzzy line between helping the community out by providing previously unknown information (like a link to a helpful website) and advertising that site.

Given that, henrysurfer is not a member of this community and appears to be simply advertising this site. For that reason, I condone this post.

If henrysurfer wants some targeted advertising, why doesn't he or she pay Erin to get a banner on TM? That would be far more acceptable than making multiple threads advertising his or her website.

*sigh*