Urch Forums

Anyone heard from UIUC PhD yet?

Equilibrium

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Andronicus: But you aren't really waiting for UIUC right? Given that you are admitted to UT Austin this would be kind of weird wouldn't it? I mean don't get me wrong I am very positive that you'll get an admission and I cross my fingers for you but if it comes to the point where you have to decide between those programs you wouldn't chose UIUC over UT Austin or would you? You don't have to answer this of course since this is perfectly your own business but I was just interested. It would actually also inflate my personal opinion about UIUC

Further: Do you guys have information about recent placements of UIUC?

@Andronicus: But you aren't really waiting for UIUC right? Given that you are admitted to UT Austin this would be kind of weird wouldn't it? I mean don't get me wrong I am very positive that you'll get an admission and I cross my fingers for you but if it comes to the point where you have to decide between those programs you wouldn't chose UIUC over UT Austin or would you? You don't have to answer this of course since this is perfectly your own business but I was just interested. It would actually also inflate my personal opinion about UIUC

how would UIUC not compare to UT Austin?

What I hear(I also know a prof at UIUC), this could be a very good year for job market candidates at the top end of the PhD class at UIUC

decisions are made, was trying to make sure I hadn't been left out, but I actually just got an ADMIT from UIUC PhD in the mail, just didn't check the mail yesterday, silly me.

Congrats! Do you currently live in the US?

:luck2:That's at least what I hope since I haven't received anything so far and mails to the US from where I live do typically need 4-7 days to arrive

two of my three references would have probably been relatively/well known at any place I applied to, the third was a math guy now at Warwick institute of Mathematics, relatively young but pretty great placement so that would add some weight, I applied way too late to apply to top 10-15, I should have taken my chances getting into at least one of those schools, only stretch would have been overall gpa about 3.6+ and math GPA 3.4+, with Q 780 V 600 AWA 5.5

I will probably have 100% acceptance rate to my VERY short list of schools I applied to

In most rankings I have seen UIUC is comparable to UT, sometimes higher, as in the NRC rankings. I think UIUC is better for my particular research interests, and they have no prelims, which I find very appealing.

Also, I don't know yet whether UT will offer me a fellowship or TAship. Basically, right now I am waiting to see if I get a fellowship offer from UT, OSU, or UIUC. If so, I will visit the schools that offer me fellowships and then make my choice.

If none of them offer me a fellowship, I will probably go to Pittsburgh. They have already offered me a fellowship for the first year, plus a 4th year dissertation fellowship.