Urch Forums

Question regarding Michigan's International Business-Business Economics program

desimba

I have been admitted to the program in International Business & Business Economics (IB-BE) program at the University of Michigan's Ross Business School. The following gives you a sense of the course requirements of that program:

"a. Discipline courses: In their first year, students are required to take the microeconomic theory sequence (ECON601-604) that is part of economics Ph.D. program. Students enroll in two additional economics courses in the field of their choice, for example international trade, labor economics, or industrial organization. Finally, students are required to take the Applied Industrial Economics course (BA875) offered in the Business School as part of their discipline requirements.

b. Methods: ECON600 (Math for economists) is required in the first semester (Note: this course begins in August.) In addition, students enroll in about four statistics and quantitative methods courses."

In addition there are some research seminars in labor, I/O which are offered within the business school.

I am curious to hear impressions of folks regarding the program based on what I have described above. Also does anyone have either first hand or second hand experience with the IB-BE students at University of Michigan. How do they come across? And how are they seen once they graduate from the program? General comments on university of michigan would also be appreciated.

Congrats on your admission, desimba. I've posted about U-Mich's econ department many times; here is a recent thread on the subject. You can find more by using the search function.

The business econ students take first year math camp, micro, and econometrics with the econ PhD students -- everything except for macro. Those in my cohort are pretty well integrated into the class. They come to seminars, skit night, parties, etc. They also join study groups with econ students. They are spared taking the micro prelim, though! Ocasionally, there will be business econ students with very different expectations about the program than the econ PhD students (either about the level of course work, or about how classes are run), but those are idiosyncratic personality things, not anything systematic about the program.

I don't know much about the job placements for the IB-BE program, but the research I've seen students in that program present is solid.

Those in my cohort are pretty well integrated into the class. They come to seminars, skit night, parties, etc. They also join study groups with econ students.

This year as well.

There are some very smart people in the Business Econ program here, although there appears to be more variance in background and preparation than in the econ cohort. I don't know much about their placements, though.