Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M)?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M)?

Sponsored Ad:

Hi! Could anyone provide information regarding the graduate program in economics of Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UCM3)? I am surprised by the lack of up-to-date information about this program in this forum. Actually, some lower ranked departments outside USA seems to be much more discussed than this one. Why? I really would appreciate if someone could write about its professors, attrition rates, study environment and etc. Feel free to send me a private message or to request one from me. Thank you...

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by LatinMogli View Post
    Hi! Could anyone provide information regarding the graduate program in economics of Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UCM3)? I am surprised by the lack of up-to-date information about this program in this forum. Actually, some lower ranked departments outside USA seems to be much more discussed than this one. Why? I really would appreciate if someone could write about its professors, attrition rates, study environment and etc. Feel free to send me a private message or to request one from me. Thank you...
    I can say that it is a good program. But, attrition is brutally high. I would say that the rate is close or above 50%.
    I don't know if this is because of some policy, funding problems or because they let in people that should not be there. In any case, be prepared... Is very hard to survive the first year and you will be under a lot of (excesive?) pressure.
    The rest (environment, professors, etc) I would say is pretty good for European standards. Right now they managed to place one student as a pos-doc at Harvard Business School (this is beyond extraordinary and certainly an outlier, but is an indication that quality is high).

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
    But, attrition is brutally high. I would say that the rate is close or above 50%.
    I don't know if this is because of some policy, funding problems or because they let in people that should not be there. In any case, be prepared... Is very hard to survive the first year and you will be under a lot of (excesive?) pressure.
    Regarding the structure of this program, is the Master in Economic Analysis at UC3M consdered as the 1st and 2nd year of the PhD there?

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecocentric View Post
    Regarding the structure of this program, is the Master in Economic Analysis at UC3M consdered as the 1st and 2nd year of the PhD there?
    I am not 100% sure, but I looked at their page and it seems that after completing the 1st and 2nd year of the PhD you get the Master's degree and then you have another 2/3 years to complete the dissertation. You can check this for further info: PhD in Economics

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
    I am not 100% sure, but I looked at their page and it seems that after completing the 1st and 2nd year of the PhD you get the Master's degree and then you have another 2/3 years to complete the dissertation. You can check this for further info: PhD in Economics
    I really don't know what to do!

I must decide betweem Carlos III and Tinbergen Institute... Both funded.

Any opinions?

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by molejo View Post
    I really don't know what to do!

I must decide betweem Carlos III and Tinbergen Institute... Both funded.

Any opinions?
    Congrats Molejo for your great admits
    By the way did you hear from CEMFI???
    Yes : CEMFI Master in Economics and Finance($$$), University of Houston Econ Phd ($??), North Carolina State Econ Phd ($??), Washington State University Econ Phd ($$), UPF Msc Finance, Vanderbilt GPED, Humbolt Masters in Economics and Management

No : University of Virginia Econ Phd, Boston College Econ Phd, Purdue Econ Phd, Carlos III MA

No News : nope... I finished all of them...

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by econphp06 View Post
    Congrats Molejo for your great admits
    By the way did you hear from CEMFI???
    Thank you!!!

About CEMFI, they did not answered me yet. I am kind of mad because I applied in January and still did not hear anything. They told me this is taking too long because I am a candidate for two external scholarships: Fundación Carolina and Banco de España. I'll e-mail them since I have until next week to give an answer to both TI and UC3M.

And about you? Where are you going? You have some awesome offerings! Congrats!

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by molejo View Post
    Thank you!!!

About CEMFI, they did not answered me yet. I am kind of mad because I applied in January and still did not hear anything. They told me this is taking too long because I am a candidate for two external scholarships: Fundación Carolina and Banco de España. I'll e-mail them since I have until next week to give an answer to both TI and UC3M.

And about you? Where are you going? You have some awesome offerings! Congrats!
    Thank you

I chosed CEMFI Master in Economics and Finance and declined all other offerd

Could you give some information about external funding opportunities in Spain for international students ?

I hope that works and got an acception from CEMFI ... In my opinon you will head towards Tinberlgen even if you get accepted, is it right? Or will you consider CEMFI as well ,

I hope everything will be good for you maan
    Yes : CEMFI Master in Economics and Finance($$$), University of Houston Econ Phd ($??), North Carolina State Econ Phd ($??), Washington State University Econ Phd ($$), UPF Msc Finance, Vanderbilt GPED, Humbolt Masters in Economics and Management

No : University of Virginia Econ Phd, Boston College Econ Phd, Purdue Econ Phd, Carlos III MA

Good post? Yes | No
    Thank you all for making this thread active! I probably should have said this before, but I wanted to know information about UC3M Economics Department because I was accepted to the Master of Economic Analysis and I am a little bit concerned about the bad fame of this program. Not in terms of quality, but general environment. If I accept the offer I will try to complete the PhD there, so it is very important for me to get all the information I can about the program.

justanotherguy: What concerns me the most is the alleged attrition rate. According to older threads in this forum, they are very high. People actually say the environment is Chicago like. But I am not sure this information still applies. Are you sure half the students can’t pass to the second year of the program? I do trust you, and I have no reason not to believe in you. But sometimes I think the information we have should be better qualified. I think we should continue investigating the “UC3M Case” and looking for people who can point the cause of the UC3M bad fame. I really would like to know if it is simply a consequence of department policy or caused by other structural characteristics of the program.

molejo: Congratulations! I also applied to Tinbergen but I am still waiting the result of my application. I think they will notify me next week. I would like to be in your position right now. Maybe they are waiting your answer to make me an offer. Who knows? But I really would like to study in Spain too. Can you share your personal impressions about both programs? Regarding your dilemma, I would say it depends on your research interests. In the end, both seem to be excellent programs.

econphp06: Good luck at CEMFI!

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Guys,

I also wonder that if there is a chance to take some sourses at Carlos III as an external student...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information