Urch Forums

Getting into Grad school with a mediocre average from Canadian School (UBC).

Guest _nanashi

Guest _nanashi

I'm a 4th year Interdisciplinary UBC student, with average grades. We use a percentage system and I'll probably graduate in the low 73s, which is a B average. The major reason for these marks is not that I haven't been able to score highmarks, or a lack of understanding of material, but being a poor test taker. I tend to score one low mark over the term of the course (usually the first midterm given in a course), and do exceptionally well the rest of the course.

Most of my upper level economics is Mid to upper 70s. My math has been B average , with a few messups in the beginning. (I've had Calculus I and II, III, and two linear algebra courses). I'll be taking Intermediate Micro II, Calculus IV, Upper level Probability, Finding Statistical relationships in data (a stat course requiring linear Algebra). and trying my hardest to make some 80s in these courses, instead of 75-78.

I'm interested to know what sorts of averages canadian students have gotten into in Economics PH.d or M.A. This is my last year of undergrad here, I am an international student, I will not be able to afford extra time at this institution. I have the options of taking some additional courses at the University of Alabama (my home town), for another year to add additional courses before attempting getting into a continuing M.A. I want to get into a reasonable school that will help me find employment, I am more interested in teach economics, than a school that will advance a research career, though I am not unintersted in research. So where do I stand? Should I even bother applying for schools at this point in my academic career?

bump --- also very interested in knowing how other Candian applicants (i.e. the ones using a percentage system, instead of a GPA system) fair with regards to PhD applications. Specifically, since there is no reasonable way to convert a percentage grade to a 4.0 GPA scale, it is hard to compare profiles for us.

@Nanashi : I think one thing that is PERHAPS positive for UBC's grading is that they do show class averages for each of the courses taken. It is to my understanding that very few schools do this. So, even if you get a 7x percent in a course, if the class average is much lower than that, I think it is still positive for you. Then again, I'm still speculating...

I'm a 4th year Interdisciplinary UBC student, with average grades. We use a percentage system and I'll probably graduate in the low 73s, which is a B average. The major reason for these marks is not that I haven't been able to score highmarks, or a lack of understanding of material, but being a poor test taker. I tend to score one low mark over the term of the course (usually the first midterm given in a course), and do exceptionally well the rest of the course.

Most of my upper level economics is Mid to upper 70s. My math has been B average , with a few messups in the beginning. (I've had Calculus I and II, III, and two linear algebra courses). I'll be taking Intermediate Micro II, Calculus IV, Upper level Probability, Finding Statistical relationships in data (a stat course requiring linear Algebra). and trying my hardest to make some 80s in these courses, instead of 75-78.

I'm interested to know what sorts of averages canadian students have gotten into in Economics PH.d or M.A. This is my last year of undergrad here, I am an international student, I will not be able to afford extra time at this institution. I have the options of taking some additional courses at the University of Alabama (my home town), for another year to add additional courses before attempting getting into a continuing M.A. I want to get into a reasonable school that will help me find employment, I am more interested in teach economics, than a school that will advance a research career, though I am not unintersted in research. So where do I stand? Should I even bother applying for schools at this point in my academic career?

hey. i got accepted at UBC, queen's, uoft MA Econ program. I don't have good marks as well. i did my first undergrad in the philippines, with a gpa of roughly 2.6/4.0, then i did my BA Econ honours here in yorku in toronto and graduated summa cum laude with 8.1/9.0 (A) gpa. i only have calc 1&2 and no linear algebra. i took advance macro, advance micro, and econometrics. you'll be fine i guess.

I got accepted into Rochester and Minnesota direct from undergrad from a much worse university than UBC (Memorial), but my percentage score for math/econ was ~92.

If you're average among your undergrad peers, I would say there is very little chance of getting into a solid PhD program from undergrad. Your math is also a little weak.

I would say you could definitely get into an MA like Simon Fraser or Carleton - wouldn't say you're a lock for the Canadian top-4, though - and from there get into a top-30 or better if you do well.

Guest _nanashi
Thanks for that, thats what I needed to hear. I was worried I was not capable at getting into a decent program at all.