Urch Forums

Will taking a grad class actually hurt my application?

hoyas9488

I was curious what others would think. I am currently taking a graduate level "Probability and Statistics" course at my university. My gpa is perfect right now, but I am nervous about taking the class because I am not sure if it will look good if I don't do well in it.

Would a grade of a B in this graduate class actually be a good thing or would it be better to simply take an undergraduate class and get an A?

Zomgrogged is definately right. Good grades in grad classes go a long way to convincing admissions committees that you will be a good graduate student, for obvious reasons.

Of course, to answer your question, a B in a grad class would actually significantly weaken your current 4.0 profile, much worse than a B in any UG class could. However, if you work hard, theres no reason you couldn't pull off an A and significantly improve your profile.

It is certainly a calculated risk, but if you live your life only doing what you know you can do you will never do very much.

If you work hard you should be fine. Getting a B will certainly weaken your profile, but if your profile is strong enough to get you into a top program then you should be capable of getting A's in those classes.

So far I have a solid profile. But the case is that I know the undergraduate courses will be easy A's, and of course it's good to challenge myself, but what good would the challenge be if it ruins my chances of getting into the top programs? (since it pretty much comes down to finding reasons to admit one identical candidate over another).

Before giving any advice, I would like you to consider the following:

1. What other UGrad course are you talking about ? If it is an advanced math course such as Topology/Measure theory, then getting an 'A' in that course will be a pretty strong signal (nearly as much as the grad course).

2. What is your previous coursework in mathematics, and especially in probability ? If you already have a few courses in this topic, then the benefit of a marginal grade (even though in a grad class) IMHO will not be really strong.

3. The benefit from taking (and doing well) in grad courses often emerges from Micro/Macro/Metrics core. If possible, taking the PhD core of any of the 3 aforementioned will serve you better.

4. PhD students are often unwilling to allow UGrads enter their study group. I guess it would be even more difficult for an Econ student to enter a PhD math study group, than it would have been to enter an Econ PhD study group.

• Like 1

zomgrogged, what do you mean by " a B in a grad class would actually significantly weaken your current 4.0 profile, much worse than a B in any UG class could."

I was just saying that taking this class and getting a B would be worse than just not taking it. It would weaken his chances at top schools. And, the damage done by getting a B in a grad class is much greater than the damage done by getting a B in an undergraduate class. Sorry if I was unclear.

1. It would be a Probability course offered by the math department (followed by a Statistics course offered by the math department in the spring semester)

2. I've taken Calc 1-3, i'm taking Linear Algebra now, and plan on taking real analysis/diff eqs and whatever else i can fit in

3. I was planning on taking a graduate econometrics course/micro course after this if possible

4. PhD students are often unwilling to allow UGrads enter their study group. I guess it would be even more difficult for an Econ student to enter a PhD math study group, than it would have been to enter an Econ PhD study group.

That seems like an odd statement to make. I took a grad class in my undergrad and had no problem working with the grad students on assignments/problem sets. I think you'd have to be pretty full of yourself as a grad student to exclude someone like that, considering also that typically the best undergraduates at most universities are better than the average grad student (unless we're talking top 10).

1. It would be a Probability course offered by the math department (followed by a Statistics course offered by the math department in the spring semester)

2. I've taken Calc 1-3, i'm taking Linear Algebra now, and plan on taking real analysis/diff eqs and whatever else i can fit in

3. I was planning on taking a graduate econometrics course/micro course after this if possible

I think your order of priority should be:

1/ Proof-based Math courses (RA, Advanced Calc..)

2/ Graduate Econ cores

3/ Other Graduate Math courses

I will actually advise you against the advise that is currently being dished-out, but that's probably only because I am risk-averse. Actually, if I were you, I would have taken the courses in 1 & 2 and then think of taking any grad-level math courses.

For what it's worth, I agree entirely with asianeconomist - taking a grad course in statistics and probability shouldn't be a priority, as you'll probably end up having to redo the course (or at least recover the same material) once you get into a grad program. Also, the material isn't as abstract and wouldn't serve as well as a signal of your mathematical abilities than doing well in a real analysis course.
  • Like 1