Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PhD Public Policy

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

PhD Public Policy

Sponsored Ad:
    I wish there was a separate forum for PhD in Public Policy!

Anyone applied to any PhD public policy programs for 2014? Have you heard any news yet?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Maybe try the econ forum. I believe some of those folks are applying to policy programs.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    I applied to a mix of Public Policy + Business PhDs. There's a thread in Government Affairs (which is mostly MAs) on TheGradCafe but it's pretty inactive. Guess there's not very many of us!

Oh and haven't heard anything yet. But I only applied to 2 policy schools (3 business) and I saw on thegradcafe that one of them is at least interviewing because someone listed an interview, and the other is planning making decisions by the end of the month (doesn't do interviews).

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by hailmary View Post
    I applied to a mix of Public Policy + Business PhDs. There's a thread in Government Affairs (which is mostly MAs) on TheGradCafe but it's pretty inactive. Guess there's not very many of us!

Oh and haven't heard anything yet. But I only applied to 2 policy schools (3 business) and I saw on thegradcafe that one of them is at least interviewing because someone listed an interview, and the other is planning making decisions by the end of the month (doesn't do interviews).
    It's great to hear that someone is in the same boat! I also applied to only two policy schools (there aren't many out there that offer a Ph.D in policy), and a bunch of business schools. There aren't many of us, but at the same time there aren't many policy schools either. So overall I don't know how my odds would be, compared to other more main stream and popular programs. Is the one listed on GC a policy or business school?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackKitty View Post
    It's great to hear that someone is in the same boat! I also applied to only two policy schools (there aren't many out there that offer a Ph.D in policy), and a bunch of business schools. There aren't many of us, but at the same time there aren't many policy schools either. So overall I don't know how my odds would be, compared to other more main stream and popular programs. Is the one listed on GC a policy or business school?
    Oh actually I just found it on GC. It's Duke. (I didn't apply there).

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Yes, it's challenging to find the right programs to apply to! I'm not sure what you're planning on studying, but my interests lie at the intersection of international development and business. And, unfortunately, only the top business schools are progressive enough to have anyone doing this type of research, and only a small amount of public policy programs have integrated business related sub-concentrations. There were really only a handful of schools I could apply to and of course they're all top programs. It's quite possible - and I've mentally prepared myself - that I might not get into any schools. But oh well, just have to try, and if not work on my application and apply again next year!

And, yes, Duke is the public policy program who appears to have sent out interview requests this past week. And Wharton (applied to management there) also seems to have sent out interview requests last week. (Didn't get one at either! But also the 2 programs with the "least fit")

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Yes, it's challenging to find the right programs to apply to! I'm not sure what you're planning on studying, but my interests lie at the intersection of international development and business. And, unfortunately, only the top business schools are progressive enough to have anyone doing this type of research, and only a small amount of public policy programs have integrated business related sub-concentrations. There were really only a handful of schools I could apply to and of course they're all top programs. It's quite possible - and I've mentally prepared myself - that I might not get into any schools. But oh well, just have to try, and if not work on my application and apply again next year!

And, yes, Duke is the public policy program who appears to have sent out interview requests this past week. And Wharton (applied to management there) also seems to have sent out interview requests last week. (Didn't get one at either! But also the 2 programs with the "least fit")
    I have no idea which policy area I really want to focus on (I didn't pick one when I filled out the application nor did I explicitly mention it in my SOP). That probably sends a bad signal. Do you mind sharing what other schools you applied to? In terms of policy programs I applied to Harvard Kennedy and Chicago Harris. For Harvard, I indicated on the application that I would also like to be considered for the MPP program. And if only they'd send me an offer, even if unfunded, for the MPP, I'd be elated.
    Would you attend if you were accepted into the MPP program instead?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackKitty View Post
    Do you mind sharing what other schools you applied to?
    Would you attend if you were accepted into the MPP program instead?
    Sure!

Policy Programs: Duke and UNC.
    Business Programs: Wharton (management), HBS (strategy), and MIT (Behavioral & Policy Sciences / IWER)

I'd say the odds are slightly stacked against me, ha! Oh well, guess we'll see in the next couple of weeks!

I would possibly consider attending an MPP program instead if and only if I had full funding and it was clear I would be able to move into the PhD program afterwards. Ultimately, I want to be a professor - I'm not using this as a professional degree. For me, if the PhD/academia isn't the clear end goal, I have a lot of other great things going for me now that I would most likely prefer to focus on.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Sure!

I would possibly consider attending an MPP program instead if and only if I had full funding and it was clear I would be able to move into the PhD program afterwards.
    For me, if the PhD/academia isn't the clear end goal, I have a lot of other great things going for me now that I would most likely prefer to focus on
    An MPP would definitely be a stepping stone for getting into DPP program (for example, UC Berkeley's PhD program prefers applicants with an MPP, especially those who did their MPP at Berkeley)

A fully funded MPP is very, very rare, the only one I know of is Princeton's, but only mid-career public servants, physicians, PhD scientists, and lawyers are eligible to apply to their program. (If you are one of those types of professionals maybe it is something you could consider?)
    For others, it seems that at best people get partial funding that covers most of the tuition, but there will be no stipend.

P S : It's awesome that you have a lot of great things going for you other than school! That is really great. I pretty much have nothing else going for me so I'd take any chance I come across. :P
    Last edited by BlackKitty; 01-19-2014 at 04:54 PM. Reason: "PS" turned in to "personal statement"

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    True. That's why I would most likely not do an MPP.

I'm sure that's not true! If someone doesn't give you the opportunity to do what you want, you just need to go out there and create it! There are ways to keep working towards your goal and make big things happen even if what you were hoping for doesn't work out. I'd like to think I always land on my feet, and I'm sure you will too!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information