Urch Forums

Modals: Logical Conclusion/Inference and Negatives

Erin

Look at this sentence:

Kathy's office is dark, the coffee on her desk is cold, and her answering machine shows seven unheard messages. Kathy must not have come in to the office yet.

This usage of "must" is what we call "logical inference" or "logical conclusion."

When we draw a conclusion based on information, we can use must.

For example, if Sally has left the house, but the radio is still on, we can say "She must have forgotten."

If we see somebody who has just come back from a long day at work with no break, we can say "You must be tired."

Kathy must not have come in to the office yet.

I know what 'must' means and it's OK... but I was taught that for negative deduction we use can't and 'must not' means prohibition... Is it true? Or I was taught wrong things?

Thanks, Renata

Are you sure this is the rule you learned?

"could have done it" (possibility)

and

"could NOT have done it" (logical conclusion)

have different meanings,

but must/must not do not. In fact, it's quite common to use negative "must" for conclusions about "negative" things:

Jo hasn't said anything to me yet. She must not know it's my birthday.

That makes sense to you, right?

Erin

Are you sure this is the rule you learned?

Yes, I am sure. I checked 4 grammar books I have. All of them tell the same: mustn't = prohibition, not allowed, very bad idea.

and

I have never heard about it. I think I am lost. Again. I love English but I also hate it. There are so many variants of it! English English, American English, TOEFL English, Written English, Spoken English, Internet English, (in)formal English, lawyer English, newspaper English, slang English, Bush English, native English, foreign English...

Ah... Renata

Could you tell me plese why in the sentence:

[While their] name [implies] [that] are whales, pilot whales [are] actually dolphins.

the right answer is B?

This post should be in toefl grammar section. Next time be sure to post your posts in the wright forum.

I believe that the answer isn't B, the answer is C.

That -> that they. We miss a subject in the that-clause, don't we?

Renata

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by emil_diankov

[While their] name [implies] [that] they are whales, pilot whales [are] actually dolphins.

They is missing

name is singluar because you're talking about a group, not the individuals as in "their names are Tom, John and Annie"

Because you're talking about whales (more than one) you say their and are

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but :

and

"I could have done it" = "There is a possibility that I have done it." (If something is possible, it may or may not happen. "There is a possibility that we will not have school tomorrow because of heavy snow.")

"I could NOT have done it" = "There is NO possibility that I have done it." (If something is NOT possible (impossible), there is NO way it will happen.)

Maybe that would help.

On a side note, let's not forget Arnold Schwarzenneger's (spelling?) quote :

"To those critics who are so pessimistic about our economy, I say, Don't be economic girlie men!" –at the Republican convention

• 2 years later...