Urch Forums

questions about SAT II's

joethemole

Hi

I'm a Canadian student going into grade 12 next year; therefore, i have to hand in SAT 1 + 2 marks in by this november-january. Well, see heres the problem with my SAT 2s. I didn't take I.B., so i don't know any of the grade 12 level information in Math 2 and any of the science courses. The only choice i have is to take those courses in the first semester of grade 12 (sept to jan), and hopefully learn enough material by november or december to take SAT2s on those months.

Question is, will that be too late for some universities? i'm thinking of going into top 30, hopefully NYU or the ivy leagues (harvard, princeton and whatnot). Will sending SAT2 scores for say, the december test date, be too late for them?

2nd question is, I want to go into business (management or finance), which SAT 2s should i take? i'll probably take math 2, but which other two subjects should i take? i'm thinking 2 science courses (if so, does it matter which ones). i can't take american history, for obvious reasons, and i also don't think i can take world history since our curriculum doesn't cover enough of it. I also dont have a strong second language base...so thats out. perhaps lit, but from the sample questions on the collegeboard site, they seem very difficult...

thank you for your help.

1st question:

December Testing Date: Fine for Regular Decision but too late for Early Decision/Action. I recommend you take the test's earlier because you may find that you want to re-take one. Won't it be stressful having to study for three completely un-releated subjects in a few month's time?

2nd Question:

Take some of sort of Math + any other two subject test's you like.

P.S. If you really want to study business management or finance, wouldn't you want to go to a school that specializes in that for the undergraduate level? (The only ivy league that offers undergrad finance courses is Wharton, other top schools that have excellent finance departments include: NYU, Michigan, USC, GaTech, RPI, Penn State) I'm not saying that other schools like Harvard don't offer business related majors (economics) they will just not focus on what you are interested in.

P.P.S. Have you considered taking the ACT (I don't know if it is as widespread as the SAT in Canada...but many American colleges take it in place of SAT I's and II's, including University of Pennsylvania)

well i guess to my knowledge, where you get ur MBA's is more important than undergrad. unless someone can correct me on this

also: whats the difference between early decision and regular? will it be easier to get in during early decision?

Early decision and early action are two different things. Early decision is binding, and early action is non-binding. Those applications are usually due in November, which is probably the last month you can take the SAT, and you'll get your acceptance/rejection letter(s) by early January. Since the application process and letters get back so soon, senior year grades don't count. Most people who apply early admission/action are at the top of their schools and have exceptional SAT scores. So it's harder to get in. Sure, there are less people, but they're better than the average applicant.

Regular admission is just regular admission where everyone else applies. The deadline for regular admission varies depending on the school. Plus, you don't get your letters until March or April. Some say it's easier because most of the good people apply early. But of course, there are a lot more people who apply regular decision.

Basically, if you're a great student, then you could apply early admission/action. If not, I suggest waiting until regular admission.

well i guess to my knowledge, where you get ur MBA's is more important than undergrad. unless someone can correct me on this

also: whats the difference between early decision and regular? will it be easier to get in during early decision?

Yes, where you got your MBA is more important than where you got your undergrad degree from.

If you are certain about which college you want to attend, Early Decision is a good option because it allows you to apply early to your first-choice school. You may apply to other colleges, but you may have only one ED application pending at any time. The typical ED application deadline is in November and notification of acceptance is mailed in December. If you need a lot of financial aid I suggest you wait for regular decision because if your dissatisfied with your early decision school' financial aid offer you will be forced to accept and must find alternatives to pay for college (loans usually!).

thx 4 response guys. but just to clear things up

1. if you choose ED/EA, then they don't count your grade 12 (senior grades, i guess). But regular decision does count the first semester?

2. so what exactly is the benefit of EA/ED if, yes, you are competing with fewer people, but all these people = smart?

3. If i go for EA/ED... then i obviously can't get my SAT II marks in, since i'll have to take those in, i'd say, december probably. Do you HAVE to have your SAT II marks, even if the college requires it? or can they just take the SAT I for now.

4. will taking SAT II's in december be soon enough for regular decision? (test date december 3rd)

thx 4 response guys. but just to clear things up

1. if you choose ED/EA, then they don't count your grade 12 (senior grades, i guess). But regular decision does count the first semester?

2. so what exactly is the benefit of EA/ED if, yes, you are competing with fewer people, but all these people = smart?

3. If i go for EA/ED... then i obviously can't get my SAT II marks in, since i'll have to take those in, i'd say, december probably. Do you HAVE to have your SAT II marks, even if the college requires it? or can they just take the SAT I for now.

4. will taking SAT II's in december be soon enough for regular decision? (test date december 3rd)

1.) Colleges will see your 12th grade grades no matter if you apply early decision or regular decision.

2.)Benefits:

-You won't have to worry about college applications for the rest of the year. :tup:

- Don't have to worry about taking SAT's again

- Slightly better chance of getting into your first-choice college (look around colleges' websites you'll see the percent admitted is usually higher during early decision) Most Ivies get 50% of their students from early decision

3.) If a college requires SATII's you must submit them, if not, your application will not be looked at.

4.) December SATII's will likely be too late for Early Decision. If the college has Early Decision II then you still might have a chance.

1.) Colleges will see your 12th grade grades no matter if you apply early decision or regular decision.

But colleges will have already made their decisions before final grades come out. Especially since my school's Fall final grades are due on January 2nd... and the schools I'm applying to send their decisions by Christmas. :tup:

But colleges will have already made their decisions before final grades come out. Especially since my school's Fall final grades are due on January 2nd... and the schools I'm applying to send their decisions by Christmas. :tup:

They could ask for a mid-year report (which includes mid-year grades and mid-term examination results), they will also ask to see your first semester or quarter grades if avaliable too. Pretty much, don't think senior year is a "blow off" year like most people say it is - if you think so, boy, you are going to be in for one hefty surprise.

They could ask for a mid-year report (which includes mid-year grades and mid-term examination results), they will also ask to see your first semester or quarter grades if avaliable too. Pretty much, don't think senior year is a "blow off" year like most people say it is - if you think so, boy, you are going to be in for one hefty surprise.

Yeah, that's true. Colleges can take back acceptance if you don't maintain your grades. I know some colleges ask for quarter grades, which could suck, if grades are low. Any way around it, I'm going to have to work a hell of a lot on my application essays. I'm probably going to cheat and turn my 600 word long UC essay (not the two short ones) into my 500 word essay for the Common Application. :D

Yeah, that's true. Colleges can take back acceptance if you don't maintain your grades. I know some colleges ask for quarter grades, which could suck, if grades are low. Any way around it, I'm going to have to work a hell of a lot on my application essays. I'm probably going to cheat and turn my 600 word long UC essay (not the two short ones) into my 500 word essay for the Common Application. :D

As long as you don't fail or have a D average, most colleges won't care that you have lower grades - it's an enevitable phenomena thats immpossible to control. :)

As long as you don't fail or have a D average, most colleges won't care that you have lower grades - it's an enevitable phenomena thats immpossible to control. :)

Don't UCs require a 3.0?... and there are a few who want a 3.3... and others that want a 2.5... well, I guess it all depends on the college... senioritis... haha...

UC's require a 2.8 GPA (but even with that, you still might not make Riverside or Merced) - but what I mean is everyone's grades start dropping after they get accepted to the college of their choice, even if the grades drop below the UC minimum requirements it probably won't mean a 'rescind', but a letter might be helpful.

ya, i read something on harvard's application form too. like they require your MID year report card. meaning all your final marks for any courses you've taken during the first semester.

btw just to confirm: colleges don't care which SAT II's you take right?

I'm probably taking math IIC, bio, and chem. Will this setup work for the majority of uni's, including ivies like havard/pton/upenn and others?

about that undergrad business thing: well, if i can't get into HYPS and Upenn, then i'll go for ones with NYU.

btw just to confirm: colleges don't care which SAT II's you take right?

I'm probably taking math IIC, bio, and chem. Will this setup work for the majority of uni's, including ivies like havard/pton/upenn and others?

about that undergrad business thing: well, if i can't get into HYPS and Upenn, then i'll go for ones with NYU.

Unless the college you are interested has specific requirements, you are fine.

The University of California system is the only system that requires you to take SATII's in different subjects.

NYU - Stern is comparable in difficulty to get into as some of the lower ivies. There are plenty of other great under-grad business schools:

University of Michigan-Ann Arbbor (Ross)

University of Virginia (McIntire)

University of Southern California (Marshall)

Wake Forest University - especially for accounting