Urch Forums

Calculating SSAT scores

Gigismum

Hi, my son took the April 2010 SSAT and scored 2040 (99%). He's in Grade 5. Of course, he'll have to take it again when he's in Grade 6 in order to apply for the school of his choice.

Does the SSAT score calculation take into account his actual grade at the time of testing? In other words, if he had been in Grade 6 this year and if he had taken the same April 2010 test, would his score have been different?

Thanks very much.

Thanks very much, asquare. I think I get it. If he had been in Grade 6 this year, taking the same test, he would have scored the same numeric score of 2040 BUT the percentage (99%) would've been different (most likely lower) since he would have been compared to other Grade 6 kids. Thanks.

Just curious, since we have a lot of students taking the SSAT. I assume that this was the Lower Level SSAT. Is this correct? Keep in mind that if he takes the test as an eighth-grader, he'll be taking the Upper Level SSAT, which, of course, is harder.

At any rate, that's a great score for his age. :)

Hi Erin, yes it was a Lower Level SSAT. We live in Canada so he'll be applying to a school that starts in Grade 7. I keep telling him that he can't just sit back and expect to get the same score (both numeric and %) in Grade 6. A score of 2040 in Grade 5 may equivalent to 99% but 2040 won't buy him that percentile in Grade 6. Do you have any idea what 2040 is equivalent to for Grade 6? Thanks.

Gigismum, I'm afraid I couldn't confidently tell you precisely what 2040 would be equivalent to for Grade 6, but I would imagine that it would still be very good. I'm most familiar with private schools in San Francisco, which tend to require the Upper Level SSAT, so I don't have nearly as much experience with the Lower Level test as I do with the Upper Level SSAT.

It seems that he's in pretty good shape; just be sure to provide a friendly but demanding and nurturing environment, and chances are that he will continue to do well.

Thanks for your words of wisdom and encouragement, Erin. Are you in the Bay Area? I went to UC Berkeley and Golden Gate and I'm originally from SF. The school we are targeting in Canada is the Canadian equivalent of Lowell HS. It's a former educational 'experiment' by a big Canadian university and kids get in by merit only. So far, DS seems well-adjusted and happy (he's in gifted public education). No signs of stress. Loves to play b-ball, hang out with friends, swim competitively, play computer games, travel. He never seems to have any homework to bring home so I put him in an enrichment math program, work with him on writing skills and take him traveling Maybe this is how he managed to get such a good score! I don't mean by traveling.

Yes! I'm in San Francisco, and I know Lowell High School well. We have a lot of students from Lowell, and occasionally, a teacher from there working for us (that's always fun!).

Sounds like your son is doing well. I've seen a lot of people do well in school, but not actually seem to enjoy doing well. I think it's vital, especially for young people, to enjoy their youth (to a reasonable degree, of course).

• 7 months later...