Urch Forums

Books for the SSAT?

SD2007

You can check out SSAT Student Guide Online 2007-2008 to order sample tests; they aren't available elsewhere. I think the verbal section is the hardest for most people that I work with.

But what kind of high school will you be applying to? Most schools don't require the SSAT, so you may not have to take it...

Hello, Erin:

My child is preparing his SSAT for the test on Jan, 08. He uses Barron's SSAT/ISEE. Could you please give us some suggestions which book is best for his next review?

Regards!

That book has some helpful information in it. Be sure to order the official SSAT book from SSAT Student Guide Online 2007-2008, as it contains test questions that are unlike those found in any of the other books I've seen.

Hi, Erin:

We ordered that book from SSAT. After he finish Barron's SSAT, he will do that book. Hope he has enough time to do all of them. Since school started, he will be busy with school stuff.

Thank you very much for your advice!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SD2007,

I know I'm not Erin and that's who you asked, but for what it's worth, I think the Kaplan book is far superior to the Barron's book. In fact, if I were you, I would definitely use either the Kaplan or the Princeton Review book instead of the Barron's book as a supplement to the official SSAT test prep book -- which, as Erin says, there really is no substitute for.

Granted, I have not worked out of the Barron's book for a couple of years, but that's mostly because the last time I did so, I was appalled by the number of errors, the way the book was laid out, and just how poorly the questions mirrored those in the official SSAT prep book. So I'm basing my review on that, and it could have changed...

SD2007,

I know I'm not Erin and that's who you asked, but for what it's worth, I think the Kaplan book is far superior to the Barron's book. In fact, if I were you, I would definitely use either the Kaplan or the Princeton Review book instead of the Barron's book as a supplement to the official SSAT test prep book -- which, as Erin says, there really is no substitute for.

Granted, I have not worked out of the Barron's book for a couple of years, but that's mostly because the last time I did so, I was appalled by the number of errors, the way the book was laid out, and just how poorly the questions mirrored those in the official SSAT prep book. So I'm basing my review on that, and it could have changed...

Hi, Brooke:

I bought that Barron's book long time ago. Just now, I figure out Kaplan SSAT probably is the best and ordered from library.

You are right there are lots of mistakes in Barron's book. I will let my child switch from Barron's to Kaplan one, but I am afraid he doesn't have much time to prepare it. Since school started, there are lots of home work from school. He may just get familiar with the format of the test.

Thank you for your kind advice!

Best Wishes!

It's been a while since I've personally worked with any of these books, I should mention. Barron's books in general are pretty packed with information, whereas the Princeton Review and Kaplan books tend to have much less info. The latter two tend to have wide margins, lots of paragraph breaks, and relatively large fonts. Of course, info isn't helpful if it isn't accurate.

One reason I like the Princeton Review book is that the verbal section covers the 'weird analogies' (the vertical relationship ones) that you see in the official publication. To my memory, the Kaplan book doesn't cover these.

It's been a while since I've personally worked with any of these books, I should mention. Barron's books in general are pretty packed with information, whereas the Princeton Review and Kaplan books tend to have much less info. The latter two tend to have wide margins, lots of paragraph breaks, and relatively large fonts. Of course, info isn't helpful if it isn't accurate.

One reason I like the Princeton Review book is that the verbal section covers the 'weird analogies' (the vertical relationship ones) that you see in the official publication. To my memory, the Kaplan book doesn't cover these.

Thank you for your information, Erin.

• 2 years later...

We're getting ready for the lower-level SSAT in November. Although my son did well on his previous "experiences" with the SSAT (took it in Gr. 5 and scored (99% and 97% respectively)), I'm still nervous for him. I'm afraid he'll be sitting on his laurels, so to speak. Anyway, just for the record...

We use both the Princeton and Kaplan books and a list of the daily analogies/synonyms from the ssat.org website. Kaplan is very good for math but Princeton has a MUCH better chapter on essay writing.