Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'offers'.
Found 16 results
phdenthusiast posted a topic in PhD in EconomicsHi. Is it common to negotiate offers? If yes, how should I go about it? I believe the offer that my top choice school has given me will not be enough to sustain myself. I have an offer which is 7000$ higher than what my top choice program is giving me. Is there any way I can talk to these guys? Any polite way of doing this? I would love to attend the program but I don't think I have the funds to sustain myself.
UCSB vs OSU (AEDE)
yayecon posted a topic in PhD in EconomicsI'm interested in environmental/energy economics and I'm choosing between UCSB and Ohio AEDE. I want to work in the academia after graduating. I heard great things about both program and their funding offers are comparable. I would love to hear what everyone thinks. Thanks!
Accepting offers and navigating waitlists
TheEconGuy10 posted a topic in PhD in EconomicsHello all! I got an offer from a program I really like and I would like to accept it. However, I'm also on the waitlist of 3 similar-ranked programs that told me they don't know when they'll be releasing their waitlist offers. What would be the best course of action? Even with an offer from any of those 3 other schools I don't know if i would change my mind considering the offer I already have. Should I accept the offer now? Should I let them know about my waitlist status in those other schools? If I do get an offer from the waitlist and decide to go to one of those schools, how should I approach it? Thanks!
Deferring PhD Program Offers
CookeCalamari posted a topic in PhD in EconomicsI was wondering what is the convention when it comes to deferring PhD program offers in economics? How often is it allowed and what is the process like? Thanks!
Competitiveness this year
Wahasky posted a topic in PhD in EconomicsI saw that UMD posted a note on their department page that they will have fewer spots for admissions in fall 2021 due to students deferring offers from fall 2020 because of covid. I expect admissions to be more competitive this year, because of students deferring and also more people applying in a bad economy, but does anyone have a sense of the scale of the effect? Do we think twice as many people will apply for half as many spots? Better? Worse? I applied in fall 2018 and got some offers I liked, but went to work instead for personal reasons. Based on last time and my work experience since I think I'm a medium competitive candidate for schools in the 20's (Maryland, Austin) but am trying to decide whether what's going on right now should effect my decision making on applying now vs. waiting one more year.
Arizona withdraws funded offers
startz posted a topic in PhD in EconomicsThe University of Arizona has withdrawn funded offers already made. The withdrawal applies to offers not yet accepted. This is all fields, not specific to economics. Let me say I have never heard of this happening before. Arizona Withdraws Funded Graduate Offers
Barcelona GSE or Tinbergen?
owly posted a topic in Admissions ResultsHi all, Got accepted to both programs in economics. Barcelona offers tuition waiver and Tinbergen offers tuition waiver+1060 euros monthly stipend. Barcelona seems to be a more praised school but I have no idea what is the continuation ratio to UPF from there (which I would prefer). I have found scarce comments on Tinbergen but it is almost certain you can continue studying for PhD there if you perform well enough. Also they give enough to cover my living expanses, which is amazing. I am leaning towards Tinbergen but also I am very confused. I am particularly interested in studying econometrics (preferably applied). Any help and comments would be appreciated; I am in need of serious help!
UVA still rolls out admission?
630124 posted a topic in PhD in EconomicsI have been on waitlist since mid February and still it is my top choice. I wonder if there is anybody who has got off of the waitlist since mid Mar. Are they sending offers one by one? Otherwise, are they sending offers all together? Please share your info if anyone knows.
Reject PhD offers and re-apply in this December?
iamlyx posted a topic in Grad SchoolHi everyone, I have finance PhD offers from UBC Sauder and Rochester Simon, but now I have a chance to work as full-time RA for an institute led by Prof.Thomas Sargent and will hopefully get a letter from him if I re-apply for finance PhD this December. I know there is some opportunity costs and I might be rejected next year due to all possible reasons and the subjective perception of being rejected once. So should I reject my offers and re-apply? And if you were me, which school would you choose? Why? Any advice will be immensely appreciated! BTW OP is a applying with a master degree from China.
Program No Longer Offers Field
lindseybuck95 posted a topic in PhD in EconomicsHi everyone, I recently started a PhD program that offers a couple fields, one of them being macroeconomics and money, which I love. However; they lost a big faculty member this semester and they say they don’t have enough interest now so they are going to stop offering the field. What would you suggest I do in this situation, given it was the field I was hoping to specialize in??
Advice on choosing programs!
econdreamin posted a topic in PhD in EconomicsHello, First - congratulations to everyone who has received offers, and good luck to those still waiting on decisions! I have received three fully funded offers from UC Riverside, Fordham, and Southern Methodist University. My interests are somewhat widespread: econometrics, financial economics, development, and experimental/behavior. Career goals also somewhat widespread, particularly because I understand that coming from a school outside top-50 will probably not land me TT academic posts easily. I would like to work for a public sector entity, Federal Reserve perhaps, and/or industry jobs that are research oriented. Honestly, if I could do that plus be an adjunct somewhere, I would be happy with being that well rounded. (Otherwise, academics in the sense of TT and department chair will still be the dream). Would anyone with experience regarding these departments be able to shed some light on how they stack upcomparatively? Thank you!
Iowa State vs. Houston vs. Georgia State for Econ PhD
worldlyphil posted a topic in PhD in EconomicsGeneral or specific impressions about those programs. Information from insiders would be appreciated. I have fully funded offers from all of them.
Varying stipends at UChicago?
BengaliKitty posted a topic in PhD in EconomicsCan anyone confirm what stipend offers they got from UChicago Econ? From discussions I've had it seems they've made differential offers to various admitted candidates.
lolita posted a topic in PhD in EconomicsHi guys: So I have just been told that I have been waitlisted at UC Riverside (my top choice) and that the next round of offers will come after April 15th. The problem is I have four other funded offers but I will have to make a decision on those four by April 15th. What can I do now? Can I accept 1 of those four offers now and then decline them later if I get off the waitlist at Riverside? Is that what people in my situation normally do? I am pretty sure people in the past have faced similar situation, so just looking for some advice from some of the more experienced folks here. Also, does somebody here know anything about Lehigh's health econ program? I haven't found any information about their program anywhere. Please help me out guys! God bless!
PhD offers conditional on current master degree?
TOPgun123 posted a topic in PhD in EconomicsUrch mates I am doing a master degree in economics now, I would like to ask about Ph.D. offers from my serious situation currently. I have got few offers from graduate schools I applied this cycles. However, for my personal issues, it's hard to admit but I cannot sustain my master study. In this case, my phd offers will be revoked? i.e the offers are conditional on my master degree or just unconditional? Of course, I have a bachelor, but I have no idea what this would be and it's quite sensitive to ask the departments. When I completed the phD applications I filled in the information of my master degree in progress. Is there anyone knows or was in the same boat? What is rule of the thumb?
Dilemma: Accepting offers from universities
Taus2018 posted a topic in PhD in EconomicsHi all, I want advice regarding a sticky situation I am in. Say for example, there are four universities I have applied to and are waiting to hear back from. Let's assume the university names are A B C and D, and their rankings and my preference for the universities are in that same order (D being the lowest ranked school). I get admission offer from all of them but they write that funding offers will be made separately in the coming months. Now, D is the first to offer me funding and set a deadline (say March 17) within which I have to accept. But here is the dilemma. The deadline is here but I am still waiting to hear back from A B and C. Maybe because they are good school and have not made their offers yet or maybe I was not in their first round of offers but I am still hopeful that I will get funding somewhere in A B or C. So my question is - is it ok to accept offer from a certain university and then going back on my word if I get offer from a better university? Are there any ramification - legal or otherwise - of such action? Any advice/suggestion/personal experience/knowledge regarding the aforementioned situation is most welcome. THANK YOU!