Urch Forums

6 Q's: The lenses/Being commercial/A symbol/onion

Tho

Hi, all!

I need your ideas in the following questions.

1.The lenses in an optical microscope bend the light passing through a specimen to form an image of that specimen that is much larger ______ actually viewed.

(A) than it

(B) than the one

© one than

(D) than one which

I'll choose A if it's than it is. What do you think?

2. Being chemical compounds, minerals have characteristic shapes and colors, whereas do rocks not.

Actually, I see no error here. Your idea?

3. A symbol of freedom, the Statue of Liberty represents a woman has just escaped from the chains of slavery, which lie at her feet.

I think B, but what's the correction?

4. The onion is characterized by an edible bulb composed of leaves rich in sugar and a pungent oil, ______ the vegetable's strong taste.

(A) which the source of

(B) that the source is

© the source of

(D) of the source is

I think C, your idea?

5. Fibers of hair and wool are not continuous and must normally be spun into thread ______ woven into textile fabrics.

(A) as are they

(B) when to be

© that they are

(D) if they are to be

I think it should be A

6. As many as 50 percent of the income from motion pictures produced in the United States comes from marketing the films abroad.

I think A, it should be as much as. Your ideas? ?

Thanks for your idea.

Many important typos removed by Erin.

Originally posted by Tho

Hi, all!

1.The lenses in an optical microscope bend the light passing through a specimen to form an image of that specimen that is much larger --- actually viewed.

(A)Than it

(B)Than the one

©One than

(D)Than one which

OH, if you doubt A, why don't you choose B. I think B is okay.

Originally posted by Tho

Hi, all!

2.Being chemical compounds, minerals have characteristic shapes and colors, whereas do rocks not.

Neither do I know. I haveposted this confusing question on this section before, but no one has answered.:( I just guess, hummm,... maybe it is C or D.:D.

3.A symbol of freedom, the Statue of Liberty represents a

woman has just escaped from the chains of slavery, which lie at her feet.

I agree with you. I think it should be " a woman that..." or "a woman who......"

Originally posted by Fortune

Originally posted by Tho

Hi, all!

1.The lenses in an optical microscope bend the light passing through a specimen to form an image of that specimen that is much larger --- actually viewed.

(A)Than it

(B)Than the one

©One than

(D)Than one which

Oooooh, Fortune, I mean viewed should be in passive voice here.

Originally posted by Tho

Originally posted by Tho

Hi, all!

(A)Than it

(B)Than the one

©One than

(D)Than one which

Oooooh, Fortune, I mean viewed should be in passive voice here.

Yes, of course I understand that.

If you choose B, it would be a type of reduction struture.

The full sentence is " The lenses in an optical microscope bend the light passing through a specimen to form an image of that specimen that is much larger than the one which is actually viewed."

Originally posted by Tho

4.The onion is characterized by an edible bulb composed of leaves rich in sugar and a pungent oil, _____ the vegetable's strong taste.

(A)which the source of

(B)that the source is

©the source of

(D)of the source is

I think C, your idea?

I agree with you. C is the best choice.

5.Fibers of hair and wool are not continuous and must normally be spun into thread _____ woven into textile fabrics.

(A)as are they

(B)when to be

©that they are

(D)if they are to be

I think it should be A

I don't think A is the answer. If A is the answer the sentence would not make sense to me. How about D? I think D is the best one.

6.As many as 50 percent of the income from motion pictures produced in the United States comes from marketing the films abroad.

I think A, it should be as much as, your idea?

Thanks for your ideas.

I agree with you. It should be "as much as".

Sawasdee ka!!

Originally posted by Tho

Hi, all!

(A)Than it

(B)Than the one

©One than

(D)Than one which

(B) Than the one

2.Being chemical compounds, minerals have characteristic shapes and colors, whereas do rocks not.

We discussed this question and could not find any conclusion. Check it out!

3.A symbol of freedom, the Statue of Liberty represents a woman has just escaped from the chains of slavery, which lie at her feet.

woman has

4.The onion is characterized by an edible bulb composed of leaves rich in sugar and a pungent oil, _____ the vegetable's strong taste.

(A)which the source of

(B)that the source is

©the source of

(D)of the source is

I think C, your idea?

Yeah! © the source of

5.Fibers of hair and wool are not continuous and must normally be spun into thread _____ woven into textile fabrics.

(A)as are they

(B)when to be

©that they are

(D)if they are to be

I think it should be A

Ummm....this is tough!! I think (B) when to be.

6.As many as 50 percent of the income from motion pictures produced in the United States comes from marketing the films abroad.

Yeah!! As many much as

Thanks for your ideas.

Thankz for posting!!

At noon:D

Originally posted by atnoon

[

(A)as are they

(B)when to be

©that they are

(D)if they are to be

I think it should be A

Ummm....this is tough!! I think (B) when to be.

Were B "when", it would be fine.

(A)as are they

(B)when to be

©that they are

(D)if they are to be

I think it should be A

I don't think A is the answer. If A is the answer the sentence would not make sense to me. How about D? I think D is the best one.

Yes, the problem is I don't know what is to be for? Could anyone give me the explanation?

Sawasdee ka!!

3.A symbol of freedom, the Statue of Liberty represents a woman has just escaped from the chains of slavery, which lie at her feet.

woman has

OH Atnoon! I think this is the woman who escaped from the slavery, not the statue.

Originally posted by Tho

(A)as are they

(B)when to be

©that they are

(D)if they are to be

I think it should be A

Yes, the problem is I don't know what is to be for? Could anyone give me the explanation?

It is "fibers".

Originally posted by Tho

(A)as are they

(B)when to be

©that they are

(D)if they are to be

I think it should be A

It is "fibers".

I see, Fortune. But this kind of structure is very strange to me. Could you give me some examples?

Sawasdee ka!!

woman has

OH Atnoon! I think this is the woman who escaped from the slavery, not the statue.

Ooppss!! Sorry, I forgot something, it should be "woman has having" or "woman who has"

At Noon:o

Oh Tho, It is surprising to me that you don't know this rule? It is very popular. When you want to express the purpose of the action which you are going to do soon, you can use the structure " to be to do something". I will check my grammar book, and give you the rule in more detail.

Hi Tho,

I noted that there are many typos or mistakes in downdowndown.net, I wonder that why didn't you use the office Toefl's materials as Erin mentioned in TM's site. You can buy some of them easy in Vietnam, Where do you live in right now?

Best regards,

Tuong

Originally posted by wall

Hi Tho,

I noted that there are many typos or mistakes in downdowndown.net, I wonder that why didn't you use the office Toefl's materials as Erin mentioned in TM's site. You can buy some of them easy in Vietnam, Where do you live in right now?

Best regards,

Tuong

Hi, wall!

Thanks for your suggestion.

Actually, I've bought lots of TOEFL materials but i want to experience all kinds of questions. May be there are some typos but it's good for us to correct, right?

BTW, I'm in HN, work as a SysEng.:)

Yeah!! As many much as

Why? Doesn't 'many' refers to 'percent'?

Renata

Originally posted by Vaya

Yeah!! As many much as

Renata

Yes, but I think percent is uncountable.

Originally posted by Vaya

Renata

Yes, but I think percent is uncountable.

How it can be uncountable if you say 50, 10, 12.36 percent?!

OH, in the sentence, that the subject is considered an uncountable noun phrase depends on "income". "Income" is uncountable, thus, its percentage is uncountable too.

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by Tho

There must have been a typo in this question. I mean the underline should be under both "do" and "rocks not". And D is the answer. It should be."Being chemical compounds, minerals have characteristic shapes and colors, whereas [/size]rocks do not[/size].

Hi harbinger,

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Tho

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There must have been a typo in this question. I mean the underline should be under both "do" and "rocks not". And D is the answer. It should be."Being chemical compounds, minerals have characteristic shapes and colors, whereas rocks do not.

Dead right, harbinger. :D