Urch Forums

adverb clause confusion

ali jabir

Hello everyone,

I have this question please

In 1987 a Canadian astronomer, Ian Shelton, spotted a supernova -------- looking at some photographs of the stars.

A- was

B- during

C- as if

D- while he was.

I'm highly confused between choosing "during" , and " while he was". in the Grammar book. it's mentioned that " during" is a preposition that requires only a noun, noun phrase or a pronoun. Isn't " looking" a noun? because it has an -ing form. why we can't assume that the second clause is not reduced (reduced adverb clause)?.

many thanks

Correct answer is D. In this sentence "looking" is part of verb phrase "was looking"- past continuous tense (was/were verb+ing). So, you have to have noun ("he") before that phrase.

But for better understanding of grammar, you should divide this sentence in two simple sentence. "In 1987 a Canadian astronomer, Ian Shelton, spotted a supernova" while "he was looking at some photographs of the stars".

And if you want to use "looking" as noun (verb+ing= gerund) you should have verb near it - but we do not have that option.

[TABLE=class: vokabeln400, width: 400]

[TR]

[TD]Going to parties is fun.[/TD]

[TD=width: 50%, bgcolor: #FFFFFF]I enjoy reading.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]Gerund is subject[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]Gerund is object[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I really hope that my explanation will be helpful!!!

Good luck!!