Urch Forums

8 diffucult sentences. Explain for me

Idiot

Hi all, please explain for me 8 senteces. Thanks in advance

1. .......... all rainwater falling from a cloud reaches the ground; some of it is lost through evaporation.

A. Nowhere

B. Not

C. No

D. None

2. (In every) society there are norms that (say) individuals (how) they (are supposed) to behave.

3. Social reformer Frederick Douglass (dedicated) his life to working for the (abolish) of slavery and the (fight) for civil (rights).

4. The Millicent Rogers Museum houses (five thousands) pieces of Hispanic and American Indian jewelry, textiles, and (other) objects (documenting) the vibrancy of these two (cultures).

5. As Mercury moves in its solar orbit,.......its axis, an imaginary line that runs through its center.

A. rotates

B. it rotates on

C. on rotates it

D. rotates on it

6. Animals usually prepare (for) hiberation (by eating) large amounts of food to (build out) stored fat in their (bodies).

7. People have (always fascinated) by the parrot's (colorful feathers) and (its ability) to mimic (human speech).

8. (Preceding) the United States Naval Academy (was founded) in 1845, (sailors) were trained (at sea).

1.Not (the sentence is about the rain water)

2.are supposed (not sure about this one)

3.abolish (actually it should be in the noun form i.e abolishment)

4.Five thousands ( it should be five thousand)

5.B (it rotates on - this is correct cos other choices are not giving the correct meaning i.e choice a) rotates its axis - a planet does not rotates its axis but it (a planet) rotates on its axis c) on rotates it - order is not correct d) rotates on it ( same as choice C. cos having "it" followed by its is incorrect)

6.build out

7.always fascinated (i think it should be always been fascinated)

8.Preceding (it should be " Until ")

This is my try. Let me check out with Erin's answers. Erin r u there. Please do reply

1. Not

2. (In every) society there are norms that (say to) individuals ...

3. abolishment

4. thousand (s) I am not sure here, but the other options seem to be correct

5 B - it rotates on

6. build out (the rest seems to be correct)

7. People have always been fascinated

8. preceding is wrong, but I am not sure if until is right

1.Not (the sentence is about the rain water)

2.are supposed (not sure about this one)

3.abolish (actually it should be in the noun form i.e abolishment)

4.Five thousands ( it should be five thousand)

5.B (it rotates on - this is correct cos other choices are not giving the correct meaning i.e choice a) rotates its axis - a planet does not rotates its axis but it (a planet) rotates on its axis c) on rotates it - order is not correct d) rotates on it ( same as choice C. cos having "it" followed by its is incorrect)

6.build out

7.always fascinated (i think it should be always been fascinated)

8.Preceding (it should be " Until ")

This is my try. Let me check out with Erin's answers. Erin r u there. Please do reply

vijayaprashanth,

Agreed.

Re 2: (In every) society there are norms that (say) individuals (how) they (are supposed) to behave.

say -> tell.

I think in this case say is intransitive, tell is transitive.

A reconstruction of the sentence might have been "In every society there are norms that say how individuals are supposed to behave".

Michael

Hi all, Thanks for your explaination, but D is the key of following sentence. Can you explain for me ?

5. As Mercury moves in its solar orbit,.......its axis, an imaginary line that runs through its center.

A. rotates

B. it rotates on

C. on rotates it

D. rotates on it