Urch Forums

Questions from 1996-05 Structure section

mishum2000

30. The central purpose of management is for making every action or decision help achieve a carefully chosen goal.

My answer was C (achieve->achieving), but the correct one was A. Should I use to make instead of for making ?

Anyway the sentence sounds weird to me.I mean I can't find its sense.

34. The discovery of the antibiotic penicillin in 1928 has not produced antibiotics useful for the treatment of infectious diseases until 1940.

My answer was C (useful->usefully), but the correct one was B. What's wrong with that present perfect here ?

38. Ozone is an unstable faintly bluish gas that is the most chemical active form of oxygen.

My answer was B, but the right one was D. I thought that faint (the adjective should be used here instead of the adverb faintly). Why is the good answer D ? Shouldn't be there an adjective ?

Thank you !

30. The central purpose of management is for making every action or decision help achieve a carefully chosen goal.

My answer was C (achieve->achieving), but the correct one was A. Should I use to make instead of for making ?

Anyway the sentence sounds weird to me.I mean I can't find its sense.

34. The discovery of the antibiotic penicillin in 1928 has not produced antibiotics useful for the treatment of infectious diseases until 1940.

My answer was C (useful->usefully), but the correct one was B. What's wrong with that present perfect here ?

38. Ozone is an unstable faintly bluish gas that is the most chemical active form of oxygen.

My answer was B, but the right one was D. I thought that faint (the adjective should be used here instead of the adverb faintly). Why is the good answer D ? Shouldn't be there an adjective ?

mishum2000,

A -> to make. To paraphrase "Managers are there to make every action achieve defined goals".

I would think B -> did not produce because we are talking about 1940 not today.

D -> chemically. In A faint would apply to gas, not bluish (although by altering the sentence a bit we could use faint blue).

Michael

A Simple "to verb" sentence:

She was there to help me walk.

A sentence like the one above:

He was there to make every child suceed and realise its innermost ambitions.

I think the type of sentence you were thinking of was this:

He walked beside me to prevent me from falling to the ground.

Agree with wasleys.

I think the faint adjective does apply to the character of blue.

So as wasleys says:

It should be either: faint blue or faintly bluish

I think the term "faintly bluish" is used because the writer is not very sure whether it is blue at all; it is a color approaching blue. So it is faintly bluish. If the writer had said bluish alone, then the sentence would carry more conviction about the color of ozone.

Chemical is a noun. Ask yourself: Ozone is active in what way? --> Chemically active.

Hi everyone

I think something is not clear for sentence 38.

unstable (Adj),

faintly(adv), blurish (adj), gas (n) => adj+adv+adj + n??? this form is correct?

chemical (adj, n), active (adj, n) , i change chemical to chemically (adv)=> adv +adj + N

For me, i don't understand why B is correct, and why chemical should change chemically?

when we use the structure adv+adj?

Thanks for your support

Bob

I think the faint adjective does apply to the character of blue.

So as wasleys says:

It should be either: faint blue or faintly bluish

I think the term "faintly bluish" is used because the writer is not very sure whether it is blue at all; it is a color approaching blue. So it is faintly bluish. If the writer had said bluish alone, then the sentence would carry more conviction about the color of ozone.

Chemical is a noun. Ask yourself: Ozone is active in what way? --> Chemically active.

Dingus,

Chemical is not a noun, it is an adjective ! Chemicals is a noun. :)

I recall doing a structure question that was something like this :

The major economic activities of Cheyenne, Wyoming, include transportation, chemicals, tourism, but governmental activities.

Here "chemicals" is correct because is a noun and it forms a parallel structure with transportation and tourism. The wrong answer here is "but" should be "and" or "as well as".

So going back to our sentence

Here ETS tests the pattern ADV+ADJ+NOUN. The first adjective which is in the front of the second adjective becomes an adverb in order to modify it :).

So that is why chemical becomes chemically :). I think I finally got it :grad: .

This answer is also for bobtuti. :)

Best regards,

Michael.

Glad that you got it, Michael (mishum). :) Honestly, I am not such a great grammar teacher. :o I have a rather stupid way of testing whether a sentence is grammatically right. I just test sentences for their sound. If the sound is not quite right, I focus on the part which is wrong. So essentially I don't know the semantics of grammar that well.

BTW, I think we may both be right. Chemical is a noun as well as an adjective.

Noun here:

Acetic acid is a chemical.

Adjective here:

The scientists in the eleventh century were unaware of the chemical nature of vinegar.

As I am not very sure now, I appeal to wasleys or Erin for clarification! :)

EDIT: Michael (Wasleys), do you read minds!?? I think you do. ;) :)

• 2 years later...
Hi all,

Can we use:

The discovery of the antibiotic penicillin in 1928 had not produced ...

instead of:

The discovery of the antibiotic penicillin in 1928 did not produced ...

??

Br,

did not produced

is completely wrong.