Urch Forums

How to write the right sentences ?

sweetkitty

:blush: I need your help very much for these sentences.

Marryland, even though a southern state, remained loyalty to the Union during the Civil War.

:eek: Today I am very confuse with the answer of my TOEFL exercise because it tells only what is incorrect but it does not tell what is the right sentences. Anybody help me again ?

1.During early nineteenth century, the building of canals and railroads strengthened the state of Indiana's links with the eastern United States.

2.Sarah Vaughan had a voice like a perfect instrument, and it was an instrument that she knew how to use it with the utmost skill.

3.Massachusetts was first explored in the late sixteenh and early seventeenth centuries, and the first permanent settlement at Plymouth in 1620.

4.Plants require much less moist in cold weather than in warm weather.

Thank you very much

Kitty

my two cents:

:blush: I need your help very much for these sentences.

Marryland, even though a southern state, remained loyalty to the Union during the Civil War.

even though/conj. -------> even/adv, OR crossing out "even though", we don't need any conjunction there.

1.During the early nineteenth century, the building of canals and railroads strengthened the state of Indiana's links with the eastern United States.

2.Sarah Vaughan had a voice like a perfect instrument, and it was an instrument that she knew how to use with the utmost skill.

Crossing out "it"

3.Massachusetts was first explored in the late sixteenh and early seventeenth centuries, and the first permanent settlement was at Plymouth in 1620.

4.Plants require much lesser moist in cold weather than in warm weather.

Thank you very much

Kitty

Thank you very much xizzhu

This is the last one for today.

Turreted mansions decorated with elaborate wooden ornamentation became a mark of wealthy and elegance in the United States in the late nineteenth century.

Why it answer wealthy. I think it should be

decorated---->were decorated

C -> remained loyal

1.During early nineteenth century, the building of canals and railroads strengthened the state of Indiana's links with the eastern United States.

A -> during the early

2.Sarah Vaughan had a voice like a perfect instrument, and it was an instrument that she knew how to use it with the utmost skill.

C -> how to use

3.Massachusetts was first explored in the late sixteenh and early seventeenth centuries, and the first permanent settlement at Plymouth in 1620.

D -> settlement was at NOTE or 'settlement founded (or similar verb) at'

4.Plants require much less moist in cold weather than in warm weather.

B -> moisture

Michael

Turreted mansions decorated with elaborate wooden ornamentation became a mark of wealthy and elegance in the United States in the late nineteenth century.

D -> wealth.

Michael

• 11 years later...
Thank you very much xizzhu

This is the last one for today.

Why it answer wealthy. I think it should be

decorated---->were decorated

became a mark of wealthy and elegance

If wealthy act as an adjective then it will not be parralel with elegance.

If wealthy act as a noun then it means people who has wealth and again it will not be parralel with elegance.

Elegance is in parallel position with wealth.

The answer is D.