Urch Forums

which toefl book is tougher( kaplan or barron or princeton or delta or longman)

abhishekjp

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Delta books are really a course in English for the TOEFL exam, so you are not just learning to take the TOEFL, you are learning more advance English as well.

The best book for learning to take the TOEFL test is the ETS book, since it is, of course, created by the firm that creates the test.

Kaplan, historically, has many errors, and doesn't provide the most effective way of teaching either how to get the best score on the test or the best way to improve your English.

I haven't used Longman, but have heard good things about the books.

• 2 years later...

Hey everyone,

I used Barrons 12th edition and did great on listening, speaking and writing.

I really recommend this book to anyone studying for it. :) good luck!

PS. I still have the book and am selling it for very cheap Let me know if someone wants to buy it for extra practice :)

• 4 months later...

Delta IS a difficult book, but only for the speaking and writing sections. That is because many of their integrated tasks do NOT match the actual TOEFL (which is why I don't often recommend it to students). For example, on speaking task #5, they often include 3 possible solutions (rather than two) and on task #6, there are often 3 or 4 parts (rather than two). On the other hand, I found the multiple-choice sections (reading/listening) of the Delta to be far easier than the actual exam or other books. Many of my students who would typically get about 70 - 80% correct would get 95-100% right on a Delta reading or listening section.

"The Complete Guide to the the TOEFL -- iBT Edition," by Bruce Rogers, is the book I most recommend to students. It is the most comprehensive at more than 800 pages and 13 CDs of audio material, but beyond that I also like the way they break down the individual skills as well as the amount of practice material.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't know which Delta we're talking about, but my experience with Delta's Key 6 Practice Tests is quite peaceful. The questions in the book are pretty straight-forward. I always get around 26-27 in both R and L. It's pretty high for me because I got lower than that in other books. Don't know if it's because I have improved or the book is too easy.

I'm also doing the 24 TPOs that have the same format like when you take the real test. I'll be taking the test at the end of Oct, so the clock is ticking right now. Wish me luck :)