Urch Forums

BAM! I received a score of 26 on the speaking section

knok

Bam! I got a score of 26 on the speaking section

Hi Erin and everybody:

Eventually, my eight year nightmare is almost over. I received a required score of 26 on the speaking section.

First, I would like to thanks Erin, the administrator and the owner of this wonderful forum. As a pharmacist and a moderator, thank you for being so patient with us. We were so stressed out with the process. From time to time, a lot of arguments were made in the pharmacy forum. You handled them very well. Good job! I wish you well in future. I am sure that this forum will grow over time. Oh! I plan to visit you in San Francisco soon.

In addition, I would like to thank Micheal or Wasleys who moderates the TSE and TOEFL forum. He answered a lot of questions about grammar in TOEFL grammar forum.

Furthermore, I would like to spread a thank you note to the English teachers in this forum:

1. Kennyp, or Ken Pechenick, a tutor in Canada who gave us emotional support in TSE forum since 2003. He also gave a lot of tips about the speaking section. He is warm and friendly. I consider him as a family member. At least, two of my friends passed the TSE because of him. I talked on the phone with him several times. I even planned to have a tutoring session in person with him in Canada but it was pretty difficult because of he lives in Canada. He will correct your speech word by word when you practice with him.

2. TSE Prep, or Charles Park. He is based in CA and the author of the mastering skills of the TSE. He continues to give emotional support and tips about the speaking test. I sent my sound files and he evaluated them to me. Thanks again. I appreciate your help. He took the TOEFL iBT himself and received a score of 28 on the speaking section.

3. Englishraven, or Jason Renshaw. Thank you for being dedicated to give us tips and how to do the speaking section correctly. I had a chance to log in and check all his online course materials. They are very helpful. His videos on you tube are excellent. You cannot miss watching his videos before taking the speaking section of TOEFL iBT. He is very thorough about what each task needs to get done. On his online course, he gives several examples of every question. Those voice examples will train your thoughts to think systemically. I believe that after I read every book available in the market, I started to get confused on what to do. He will teach you how to think step by step. This is the key since after you finished the first two sections of the TOEFL iBT, your mind will get mixed up with difficult and boring topics on listening section. I remember that I got several passages about astronomy, geology, and photography. These topics are difficult and require us to use our imagination to understand. It takes out almost all energy from me.

4. TOEFL Corey. Thank you for your evaluation on the best book for TOEFL iBT and your tips on passing the exam. I agree with you that the complete guide for TOEFL iBT by Bruce Roger is the best one. It gives a lot of sample answers and practice tests.

5. Bruno Hill. I cannot reach him since his web site has changed. I took his online TSE and TOEFL iBT course. The speaking practices by recording my voice allow him to correct my pronunciation and grammar. I took both writing and speaking online lessons with him for over 2 years. He provides tons of examples of speaking sound files.

6. Kaplan, Seattle. Thanks my speaking teachers, especially Tom and Kevin. Tom is the academic manager at Kaplan. He is a very good teacher for TOEFL iBT-speaking. We practiced speaking in noisy environment in classes. Kaplan also offers test sessions simulating the real TOEFL iBT. Anyone who takes KAPLAN - TOEFL iBT should take advantage of this TOEFL iBT test practices. KAPLAN offers this simulating tests every two weeks if you enroll in TOEFL course. Teachers will grade you like in the real test. The International advisor, Mark, at KAPLAN-Seattle is a warm and caring person. Not to mention, Emily, the program manager who is very sincere and warm.

7. I also had private tutoring sessions with American tutors who graduated from Washington University-St. Louis almost every day for a year in 2004. I also took pronunciation classes at universities for several years. One of them was an actor and singer in Broadway, NY. Later, he went on to get his PhD. in English literature. Actors and singers need to pronounce words clearly. He is very encouraging and enthusiastic about teaching students to pronounce words clearly. He always said to me, “Enjoy your words.” If anyone is interested, let me know. He is teaching at Webster University - St. Louis.

8. I also took all speech communication classes at universities such as public speaking, speech and presentations for media, story telling, and so on. Most of my teachers graduated from the University of Michigan- Ann Arbor. I would like to stress that all my courses are not easy though. As I remember, I had to give speech and presentations to real media groups in pubic. All panelists were people who worked in radio and TV stations. I believe that I made good impressions to them since one of them stood up and praised me immediately after I finished. One of them asked my group to have an interview in his radio station the next day.

9. Jack Rose, the author of the TSE book. I took his TSE seminar twice, both in LA and Las Vegas. He taught how to track the organization of the answers of the TSE exam questions. Question 1 &2 are opinion questions. He taught what and how to say them correctly in time limit. He conducted real classes so I had opportunities to practice with a group of students with his guidance. I tried to contact him earlier this month but I could not reach him. He gave good tips how to handle stress and timing in the exam. His career was a high school teacher for over 20 years so he has had good experiences about guiding and teaching in classrooms. He discussed about test anxiety which has had a big impact on students with the time pressure - test such as TOEFL iB and TSE. If anyone knows where he is, please let me know. Thanks.

I would like to take this opportunity to thanks all members who gave tips. The list will add up and I will take another ten pages to mention them all.

My background:

I studied English since I was 4 years old. My pharmacy school in my home country did not translate English text books so I studied in English.

I worked for multinational pharmaceutical companies such as GlaxoWelcome (British), Schering AG (Germany), Lek (Israel), Great Eastern Drugs(Philippines), and Hoechst (Germany) in different times for over twelve years. The language used in my work was English. I gave a lot of presentations during working.

Moreover, I completed a Master of Business Administration and a Master of Science - Management Information Systems from the University of MO - Louis and completed all speech communication courses at Webster University and almost complete Animation & Graphic certificate program from a college here is Seattle. Overall, I have lived and have been educated in the USA for over 10 years.

I also owned a pharmacy for over 10 years in my home country.

I traveled to Germany, France, UK, Switzerland, Monaco, Italy, Netherlands, Austria, Czech, Singapore, Myanmar, and Laos.

I’ll post about the TOEFL iBT materials later.

Bye for now. I wish you would be patient with your journey.

Knok :tup:

Edited by knok

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I finished reading your post, i felt so motivated by your words. There are so many posts in this forum about people that felt so frustrated with the score, that I started to think that it's impossible. It's so good to know that your persistence had won in the end. I'm writing this, because I'm struggling with my bad pronunciation, and I am the kind of the person whose ideas Anyway, CONGRATS!!!!! Would you mind writing about these subtle changes in the speaking part? What did they asked you? Is it true that they give you options to talk about in the general questions?

... And it's so nice that you thanked every teacher!!! You really haven't forgotten anyone!!

I recently started to check this forum ( 3 months ago), but I'm so happy to be here!!

Greetings from Lima

Lucia

Hi Erin and everybody:

Eventually, my eight year nightmare is almost over. I received a required score of 26 on the speaking section.

First, I would like to thanks Erin, the administrator and the owner of this wonderful forum. As a pharmacist and a moderator, thank you for being so patient with us. We were so stressed out with the process. From time to time, a lot of arguments were made in the pharmacy forum. You handled them very well. Good job! I wish you well in future. I am sure that this forum will grow over time. Oh! I plan to visit you in San Francisco soon.

In addition, I would like to thank Micheal of Wasleys who moderates the TSE and TOEFL forum and helped me about the forum. He answered a lot of questions about grammar in TOEFL grammar forum.

Furthermore, I would like to spread a thank you note to the English teachers in this forum:

1. Kennyp, or Ken Pechenick, a tutor in Canada who had gave us emotional support in TSE forum since 2003. He also gave a lot of tips about the speaking section. He is warm and friendly. I consider him as a family member. At least, two of my friends passed the TSE because of him. I talked on the phone with him several times. I even planned to have a tutoring session in person with him in Canada but it was pretty difficult because of he lives in Canada. He will correct your speech word by word when you practice with him.

2. TSE Prep, or Charles Park. He is based in CA and the author of the mastering skills of the TSE. He continues to give emotional support and tips about the speaking test. I sent my sound files and he evaluated them to me. Thanks again. I appreciate your help. He took the TOEFL iBT himself and received a score of 28 on the speaking section.

3. Englishraven, or Jason Renshaw. Thank you for being dedicated to give us tips and how to do the speaking section correctly. I had a chance to log in and check all his online course materials. They are very helpful. His videos on you tube are excellent. You cannot miss watching his videos before taking the speaking section of TOEFL iBT. He is very thorough about what each task needs to get done. On his online course, he gives several examples of every question. Those voice examples will train your thoughts to think systemically. I believe that after I read every book available in the market, I started to get confused on what to do. He will teach you how to think step by step. This is the key since after you finished the first two sections of the TOEFL iBT, your mind will get mixed up with difficult and boring topics on listening section. I remember that I got several passages about astrology and photography. These topics are difficult and require us to use our imagination to understand. It takes out almost all energy from me.

4. TOEFL Corey. Thank you for your evaluation on the best book for TOEFL iBT and your tips on passing the exam. I agree with you that the complete guide for TOEFL iBT by Bruce Roger is the best one. It gives a lot of sample answers and practice tests.

5. Bruno Hill. I cannot reach him since his web site has changed. I took his online TSE and TOEFL iBT course. The speaking practices by recording my voice allow him to correct my pronunciation and grammar. I took both writing and speaking online lessons with him for over 2 years. He provides tons of examples of speaking sound files.

6. Kaplan, Seattle. Thanks my speaking teachers, especially Tom and Kevin. Tom is the academic manager at Kaplan. He is a very good teacher for TOEFL iBT-speaking. We practiced speaking in noisy environment in classes. Kaplan also offers test sessions simulating the real TOEFL iBT. Anyone who takes KAPLAN - TOEFL iBT should take advantage of this TOEFL iBT test practices. KAPLAN offers this simulating tests every two weeks if you enroll in TOEFL course. Teachers will grade you like in the real test. The International advisor, Mark, at KAPLAN-Seattle is a warm and caring person. Not to mention, Emily, the program manager who is very sincere and warm.

7. I also had private tutoring sessions with American tutors almost every day for a year in 2004. I also took pronunciation classes at universities for several years. One of them was an actor and singer in Broadway, NY. Later, he went on to get his Ph.D. in English literature. Actors and singers need to pronounce words clearly. He is very encouraging and enthusiastic about teaching students to pronounce words clearly. He always said to me, “Enjoy your words.” If anyone is interested, let me know. He is teaching at Webster University - St. Louis.

8. I also took all speech communication classes at universities such as public speaking, speech and presentations for media, story telling, and so on. Most of my teachers graduated from the University of Michigan- Ann Arbor. I would like to stress that all my courses are not easy though. As I remember, I had to give speech and presentations to real media groups in pubic. All panelists were people who worked in radio and TV stations. I believe that I made good impressions to them since one of them stood up and praised immediately after I finished. One of them asked my group to have an interview in his radio station the next day.

I would like to take this opportunity to thanks all members who gave tips. The list will add up and I will take another ten pages to mention them all.

My background:

I studied English since I was 4 years old. My pharmacy school in my home country did not translate English text books so I studied in English.

I worked for multinational pharmaceutical companies such as GlaxoWelcome (British), Schering AG (Germany), Lek (Israel), Great Eastern Drugs(Philippines), and Hoechst (Germany) in different times for over twelve years. The language used in my work was English. I gave a lot of presentations during working.

Moreover, I completed a Master of Business Administration and a Master of Science - Information Systems from the University of MO - Louis and completed all speech communication courses at Webster university and almost complete Animation Graphic certificate from a college here is Seattle. I have lived and educated in the USA for over 10 years.

I traveled to Germany, France, UK, Monaco, Italy, Netherland, Austria, Czech, Singapore, Myanmar, and Laos.

I’ll post about TOEFL iBT Materials later.

Knok :tub:

congratulations, can you plz let me know what

to study and with whom u had the best assistance

thanx

Thanks. It is difficult to say. It has been a long process. Most of my tutoring sessions were completed before 2006. I knew Jason Renshaw later when TOEFL iBT started. His youtube videos were so popular. Later on, I saw TOEFL corey and learned from some members that he gave free tutoring sessions but I did not attend. A score of 26 is such a high score. I can't wait to think who is better than who. I tried as many ways as possible I could. I have been a full time student and I do not contribute a hundred percent of my time for TOEFL preparation. School works in my program require a lot of tedious tasks. I tried to arrange time as much as possible to do my best. I definitely think that those who failed more than 6 times need professional help. Do not walk alone in the dark. You might get lost and depressed.

Edited by knok

It's so good to know that your persistence had won in the end. I'm writing this, because I'm struggling with my bad pronunciation, and I am the kind of the person whose ideas Anyway, CONGRATS!!!!! Would you mind writing about these subtle changes in the speaking part? What did they asked you? Is it true that they give you options to talk about in the general questions?

... And it's so nice that you thanked every teacher!!! You really haven't forgotten anyone!!

I recently started to check this forum ( 3 months ago), but I'm so happy to be here!!

Greetings from Lima

Lucia

Thank you for your congrat. I am sorry that I could not notice the changes of any questions since I took for quite a long time. I got used to the format and details of the questions. However, I did not take every test so there might be little changes in some tests. It should not be a big deal though. If it has a drastic change, ETS will announce in TOEFL sample format on its web site.

I did not mention every teacher because I had more than what I mentioned. Language is something that you have to learn for life as long as it is not a dead language such as latin. Every task requires on-going training. We cannot give up learning for all our lives.

I will post about pronunciation materials and TOEFL iBT materials later in details. I am exhausted today since I just finished my final exams this week. I may put in html or you tube so that it can be easy to copy the link. Please give me some time. Please bear with me. Thanks. :sleepy:

Congratulations!!!!

You totally deserve this accomplishment!!!

You have always been a wonderful and motivated person who knows how to achieve her goals.

God bless you and good luck for future!!!

Pray for us!:grad:

Thanks Pharm D. I wish you the best. You will get there.

This is really fantastic news - I am SO glad to hear it!

I've corresponded with you, Knok, and I know what this test has subjected you to in terms of stress. I really honestly cannot think of any student who deserved a passing score more than you.

I'm grateful for your thanks, and impressed at the thoroughness of your testimonials about a range of teachers and services - BUT... let's not forget all the help and support you have been giving people on this forum, even as you toiled yourself to pass the test. I think a lot of people owe YOU thanks as well!

I'm very happy for you Knok. Very best wishes to you in the next phase of your career.

All the best,

~ Jason Renshaw (Englishraven)

This is really fantastic news - I am SO glad to hear it!

I've corresponded with you, Knok, and I know what this test has subjected you to in terms of stress. I really honestly cannot think of any student who deserved a passing score more than you.

I'm grateful for your thanks, and impressed at the thoroughness of your testimonials about a range of teachers and services - BUT... let's not forget all the help and support you have been giving people on this forum, even as you toiled yourself to pass the test. I think a lot of people owe YOU thanks as well!

I'm very happy for you Knok. Very best wishes to you in the next phase of your career.

All the best,

~ Jason Renshaw (Englishraven)

Dear Jason,

Thank you for your kind words. Many students and I would have not been able to pass this test without your help and hard work. Please forgive all bad posts that students post in this forum. They were stressed out from repeating the tests so many times. Please continue to give us support and help. On aspect of the forum is that nobody knows exactly who one is until they chat personally. Until now, many people think that I am a teenage guy, around 25 years old. That's good....:)

Wow Knok, I'm really happy for you,

I'm following your posts from quite a time, and you know what, if such a figher like you did it, so can we :)

congratulations[clap]

Thank you. Believe in yourself and do whatever you think that it is right. Enjoy your days. Good luck to you.

Life is not always fair. Finally, we all are dead. As long as we are still alive, please do whatever is good for you and others. Sooner or later, we will get there.

"Good or bad, hard to say."

"Once upon a time, there was a king. The king liked one of his followers

very much because he was very wise and always gave very useful advice.

Therefore the king took him along wherever he went.

One day, the king was bitten by a dog, the finger was injured and the

wound was getting worse. He asked the follower if that was a bad sign. The

follower said, 'Good or bad, hard to say'. In the end, the finger of

the king was too bad that had to be cut.

The king asked the follower again if that was a bad sign. Again, the

follower gave the same answer, 'Good or bad, hard to say'. The king

became very angry and sent the follower to prison.

One day, the king went hunting in the jungle. He got excited when he was

on the chase of a deer. Deeper and deeper he went inside the jungle.In the

end he found himself lost in the jungle. To make thing worse,he got

captured by the native people lived inside the! jungle. They wanted to sacrifice

him to their god. But when they noticed that the king had one finger

short, they released him immediately as he was not a perfect man anymore and not

suitable for sacrifice. The king managed to get back to his palace after

all. And he finally understood the follower's wise quote, 'Good or bad,

hard to say'. If he hadn't lost one finger, he could have been killed by

the native people.

He ordered to release the follower, and apologized to him. But to the

king amaze, the follower was not mad at him at all. Instead, the follower

said,'It wasn't a bad thing that you locked me up.'

Why?

Because if the king hadn't locked the follower up, he would have brought

the follower along to the jungle. If the native found that the king was

not suitable, they would have used the follower. Again, the quote 'Good or

bad, hard to say' stands.

The moral of the story

Everything that happens in this world, there is no absolute good or bad.

Sometimes good things turned out to be bad things eventually, while bad

things become a gain. Whatever good things that happen to you, enjoy it,

but don't have to hold too tight to it, treat it as a surprise in your

life. Whatever bad things that happen to you, don't have to feel too sad

or despair, in the end, it might not be a total bad thing after all.

If one can understand this, he or she will probably find life much

easier."

Congratulations! Nothing makes me happier than hearing someone finally reaching his/her goal after so much hard work.

Best of luck with everything and on behalf of the students and teacher who frequent this board, a big thank you for your diligence and support/advice to others.

We will all continue to work hard and help the many others striving to reach the same goal.

Hi Erin and everybody:

In addition, I would like to thank Micheal or Wasleys who moderates the TSE and TOEFL forum. He answered a lot of questions about grammar in TOEFL grammar forum.

1. Kennyp, or Ken Pechenick, a tutor in Canada who had gave us emotional support in TSE forum since 2003. He also gave a lot of tips about the speaking section. He is warm and friendly. I consider him as a family member. At least, two of my friends passed the TSE because of him. I talked on the phone with him several times. I even planned to have a tutoring session in person with him in Canada but it was pretty difficult because of he lives in Canada. He will correct your speech word by word when you practice with him.

3. Englishraven, or Jason Renshaw. Thank you for being dedicated to give us tips and how to do the speaking section correctly. I had a chance to log in and check all his online course materials. They are very helpful. His videos on you tube are excellent. You cannot miss watching his videos before taking the speaking section of TOEFL iBT. He is very thorough about what each task needs to get done. On his online course, he gives several examples of every question. Those voice examples will train your thoughts to think systemically. I believe that after I read every book available in the market, I started to get confused on what to do. He will teach you how to think step by step. This is the key since after you finished the first two sections of the TOEFL iBT, your mind will get mixed up with difficult and boring topics on listening section. I remember that I got several passages about astronomy, geology, and photography. These topics are difficult and require us to use our imagination to understand. It takes out almost all energy from me.

7. I also had private tutoring sessions with American tutors who graduated from Washington University-St. Louis almost every day for a year in 2004. I also took pronunciation classes at universities for several years. One of them was an actor and singer in Broadway, NY. Later, he went on to get his Ph.D. in English literature. Actors and singers need to pronounce words clearly. He is very encouraging and enthusiastic about teaching students to pronounce words clearly. He always said to me, “Enjoy your words.” If anyone is interested, let me know. He is teaching at Webster University - St. Louis.

8. I also took all speech communication classes at universities such as public speaking, speech and presentations for media, story telling, and so on. Most of my teachers graduated from the University of Michigan- Ann Arbor. I would like to stress that all my courses are not easy though. As I remember, I had to give speech and presentations to real media groups in pubic. All panelists were people who worked in radio and TV stations. I believe that I made good impressions to them since one of them stood up and praised me immediately after I finished. One of them asked my group to have an interview in his radio station the next day.

9. Jack Rose, the author of the TSE book. I took his TSE seminar twice, both in LA and Las Vegas. He taught how to track the organization of the answers of the TSE exam questions. Question 1 &2 are opinion questions. He taught what and how to say them correctly in time limit. He conducted real classes so I had opportunities to practice with a group of students with his guidance. I tried to contact him earlier this month but I could not reach him. He gave good tips how to handle stress and timing in the exam. His career was a high school teacher for over 20 years so he has had good experiences about guiding and teaching in classrooms. He discussed about test anxiety which has had a big impact on students with the time pressure - test such as TOEFL iB and TSE. If anyone knows where he is, please let me know. Thanks.

My background:

Moreover, I completed a Master of Business Administration and a Master of Science - Management Information Systems from the University of MO - Louis and completed all speech communication courses at Webster University and almost complete Animation & Graphic certificate program from a college here is Seattle. I have lived and educated in the USA for over 10 years.

I traveled to Germany, France, UK, Switzerland, Monaco, Italy, Netherland, Austria, Czech, Singapore, Myanmar, and Laos.

I’ll post about the TOEFL iBT materials later.

Knok :tup:

Wow congratulations! So what will happen to the petition to lessen the 26 requirement by FPGEC in the Speaking section????? Just asking... Best wishes to you

Nothing that makes me happy, but by hearing that knok passed the test, I'm the happiest one in the world. We are going to have a great pharmacist.

Nothing that makes me happy, but by hearing that knok passed the test, I'm the happiest one in the world because we are going to have a great pharmacist.

By crossing over the ocean, struggling for living, and sometimes suffering from biased rules and regulations, I enthusiastically known that you deserve being a pharmacist. Not only is it a great news for you because you determinately achieved your goal, but is also an optimistic news for the foreign pharmacists who are suffering from ridiculous and unwarranted rules because everyone knows you and looks at your a long journey that they can achieve and fulfill their dreams.

[clap]

Congratulations! Nothing makes me happier than hearing someone finally reaching his/her goal after so much hard work.

Best of luck with everything and on behalf of the students and teacher who frequent this board, a big thank you for your diligence and support/advice to others.

We will all continue to work hard and help the many others striving to reach the same goal.

Thank you for your nice words. I realize how hard this test is. I am inspired after reading advice from any teachers in this forum. Thank you again. It is my pleasure to help people. It makes me happy.

Wow congratulations! So what will happen to the petition to lessen the 26 requirement by FPGEC in the Speaking section????? Just asking... Best wishes to you

Thank you. You may try again. It may be the right thing but not in the right time though. I am sorry to say this. Good luck. There is no such thing as impossible.