Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tips for high score in speaking....got 27 insteade of 23

Trying to make mom and pop proud Musbah's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by LishaD View Post
    I want to know if you can use "they" instead of "she or he" or "she/he" when speaking or writing an essay? thanks
    Hi!

I have a similar problem, but to use the Plural pronoun for singular reference will not solve it any more.
    the Problem is that, when I have to refer for a singular person in the Writing practice, I find my self covering the essay with -he/she- or -his/her-, the repetition of this expression for a lot times when referring for the singular get me angry and lower the quality of my essay. how to deal with this problem in a case which minimizes using that expression for a lot of times, or a pronoun which can refer for both the singular M or F at the same time.

I don't know if my question is clear or not!
    thanks!

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    wow. That's good. Thanks! In my case I wasn't expecting a negative question so I was blank in coming up with answer such as why I dislike about this and that... difficult to imagine and fake something that you don't dislike. So I used the thing I like with a negative answer and didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by rainy_cloud View Post
    well, I can answer like this... ( this is only an example, but it is not really true

"In my opinion, I dislike this froum for a few reasons, first, I find it disorganized, for example, it takes me so much time to find ceratin topics that I am interested in. Second, it has limited features for its members, for example, it does not allow us to receive e-mails from each other or use chat as a way to communicate. That's why I dislike this forum."

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi rainy cloud!
    I'm keep receiving the same score as you before..23!!! Have you ever tried to send for rescoring with this amount of points??? Is it worth trying or I'll just waist my money? Anyone???

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ivona View Post
    Hi rainy cloud!
    I'm keep receiving the same score as you before..23!!! Have you ever tried to send for rescoring with this amount of points??? Is it worth trying or I'll just waist my money? Anyone???
    Hi Ivona,,,
    I never asked for rescoring,,but I regret not doing it at least one time to see if there would be any change,,especially one time I did much better than the test before because I missed one question but still got the same score so I felt it did not make any sense ...
    But honestly, I do not feel that my English got better than before.. that time I used to live in US and I pacticed English much better than now,,, the key is that I payed more attention to the way that you need to answer each question and that made the difference so believe in your self and in your language skills because I am sure that you speak very good and practice more to be more relaxed and sound natural when you speak....

One advice I learned that when you start answering any question, start with a SMILE on your face and that helps you to relax and sound natural and it worked,,try it
    Hope and Desire will lead Us to success

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by LishaD View Post
    wow. That's good. Thanks! In my case I wasn't expecting a negative question so I was blank in coming up with answer such as why I dislike about this and that... difficult to imagine and fake something that you don't dislike. So I used the thing I like with a negative answer and didn't work.
    I know this feeling and I experienced it my self and I felt it was difficult to imagine something you do not like when you actually have the opposite feeling ...but try to keep things simple and try to practice how to fake things...
    One time, when I practiced with american friend, he asked me about a problem I faced and how I solved it..you know I started saying that I had a fight with my husband and .... so he smiled and said you can simply imagine that one time you had a flat tire when you were out of town, and some body stopped to help you and... so I felt that I need to think simple thoughts to make it easy on my self

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Musbah View Post
    Hi!

I have a similar problem, but to use the Plural pronoun for singular reference will not solve it any more.
    the Problem is that, when I have to refer for a singular person in the Writing practice, I find my self covering the essay with -he/she- or -his/her-, the repetition of this expression for a lot times when referring for the singular get me angry and lower the quality of my essay. how to deal with this problem in a case which minimizes using that expression for a lot of times, or a pronoun which can refer for both the singular M or F at the same time.

I don't know if my question is clear or not!
    thanks!
    You know, when you write, the repetition of he or she is not the problem because some times you have no other option.. you usaully start writing the lecturer then you will use He/She for the rest of the assay.. but what you need to avoid is repeating phrases and words ..try to use different connection words for each point you write...

My advice for the writing section is.....
    For the first part in writing,, usually it is a reading passage then a lecture that is opposing the ideas in the reading passage ( they list 3 statements to justify what they are claiming so you have to pay attention and write down these 3 points)

I start like this...( 4 paragraphs, each sentence below is a beginning for a new paragraph, try to leave a line between each paragraph and the one follows so it is easy to read)

The lecturer opposes the reading passage about ............ for three reasons.
    First, although the passage states that............., the lecturer thinks that..........
    Second, in the passage, ............................. On the other hand, the lecturer,,,,,,,,,,
    Finally, .............................................. However, the lecturer claims that..............

You have to notice:
    1. Use the same tense (present or past tense, I wrote them above in bold so you can see that I used present tense for the whole time)
    2. In the beginning, I stated clearly that the lecturer opposes the passage
    3. I mentioned all 3 points used for comparison
    4. I tried to use different comparative phrases: however, on the other hand, although...)
    5. DON'T mention YOUR opinion or write more information, you HAVE to stick with the information mentioned, not less or more
    Last edited by rainy_cloud; 06-17-2010 at 07:17 PM.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Thank you for the reply.I really appreciate it. I 've just wanted to tell you that you really comforted me because I felt helpless .I've been trying to pass it for 5 years. Thanks

Good post? Yes | No
    Good Luck to you all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Thank you very much rainy cloud, I had just 5 days to prepare for my exam and I used the videos that you mentioned, I got 29 in speakingThank you very much!

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    got my result today and I got S26 whoopee for once but w21 (3points short)... so at least there is possibility in passing TOEFL speaking.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information