Urch Forums

TOEFL Rescoring 99 to 100? is it possible?

dduarte

I definitely think it's possible. If you scored a 24/30 in speaking, then you had at least one 4, so on the second review, the speaking could certainly go up to 26 (it's just as likely to go down a point or two or stay the same, though, so you really never know).

With your writing score of 24, I believe that means you got a 4/5 and a 3.5/5 (since 8 points of raw score would equate to a 25/30 scaled score). Again, it's quite possible that the essay that received a 3.5 could end up being changed to a 4. Overall, I think the probability that you end up with a total of 100 after the rescore would be somewhere between 30 - 50% (definitely worth the risk and investment, in my opinion).

Good luck!

Hey Corey, thanks for your message!

I have the feeling that I did well on the first essay; I also have the feeling that my speaking could be 25. Let's wait and hope for the point!

In the test before I got 98 and 25 in speaking and 25 in the writing section... It's very frustrating!!!

thanks!

dd

Dear friends,

I already took the exam 5 times, I need 100 score and I got 99...

Score : 28,23,24,24.

I started a rescoring process for both, writing and speaking.

Do you guys think that i have any chances to raise 1 point in my score?

thanks

Hi

I rescored writing section. It was 79 i just wanted to see 80 but i got 76. they decreased my wrting score from 18 to 15 then i shocked. But as I seacrhed from several forums before rescoring, I have seen that general trend is increase 1-3 point.

If you believe your responses and essays they will give what you want. But if you uncertain (like me) dont wait it.

Hi

I rescored writing section. It was 79 i just wanted to see 80 but i got 76. they decreased my wrting score from 18 to 15 then i shocked. But as I seacrhed from several forums before rescoring, I have seen that general trend is increase 1-3 point.

If you believe your responses and essays they will give what you want. But if you uncertain (like me) dont wait it.

I'm sorry about it! How long did you wait until you receive your resccoring? did u receive an email advising about the changes in your scores?

thanks for sharing!

Eventually i got 80 point last try. As i remember they didnt wait me so long. 2-3 week later i have seen my lower score on my IBT account. they repaid my money 60 bucks the reason they changed my writing score. By the way if they change score either increase or decrease they give the money back, if your score stay same they keep the money. There is a wrong belief in here some people write or think that ETS likes money so if you pay for re-scoring they may give more score to you but the reality is that if they change your score that means : " they made a mistake on evaluation process" so they can not ask for more money to correct it.

Now what is my guess for your situation, at least it seems to me they will add 5 point to your score... Do you know why? for high scored candidates they feel more easy to give more, if you got 99 that means you are good at English and they can find some nice things to increase your score.. you r ganna have 104 ....

Thank me if you have it... If not don\t use bad words :)

I'm sorry about it! How long did you wait until you receive your resccoring? did u receive an email advising about the changes in your scores?

thanks for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...
I am trying to rescore my writing. I need 24 instead of 22. I spent almost two weeks till my rescoring order appeared in my account. I have been waiting now for another two weeks and I have not received the result. How long does this process take?!! Does ETS notify me when they are done with rescoring? I mean, how do I know that rescoring is done if my score does not change? If I have high scores in other sections, does this increase my chances to increase my writing score?

My process took almost 16 days to be completed... I didn't receive an email from ets telling me that the processes was completed; I had to check my account everyday until I find out the new score...

Maybe high scores in the other parts of the test can help to get a better score in the section that you are rescoring, although I don't know how they do it, I don't even know if they take a look on your total score before rescoring. But now i think it's totally possible to get a higher score after this process, especially if you are aiming to get 1 or 2 extra points...

• 1 year later...
No, they would have no knowledge of your total score or any other identifying information on you (your name, country of origin, etc.). The raters would rate your essays on their own merits on nothing else, using the established rubric (scoring guide), just as the speaking raters do.

Hi Corey,

I have read some of your replies to varies threads, it seems to me that you are very encouraging and know quite a lot about the iBT. I have a quick question for you, i got 24 in my speaking section and i wonder if it is worth to have it rescored as i need 26... i am quite confident on the sections however, the exam rater commented that some of my pronunciation and intonation causes difficulty to understand. is this comment subjective? would another rater see it differently?

Many thanks for your time!

cevf

Hello cevf,

In my experience a 24/30 ends up being upgraded to a 26/30 or higher about 25 - 35% of the time. I usually DO recommend that my students go for rescoring when they reach a 24 (since it means at least one of the responses was assessed as a perfect 4/4 the first time). However, on scores of 23/30 or below, I have rarely seen the score increase to 26 or higher.

By the way, the raters did NOT offer you any personal comments. The comments listed on your score report were computer generated and have nothing to do with your actual responses. Everyone with the same score on that section received the same auto-generated comments, so they really aren't useful at all.

Best of luck.

Phi Corey,

You are very encouraging! I thought the comments were given just for me. I was upset after reading the comments. Anyway, I will be waiting for the rescore and hopefully it will increase.

god forbid, if I failed my rescore, I might need some professional help from you. Thank you very much indeed!

Cevf

Hello cevf,

In my experience a 24/30 ends up being upgraded to a 26/30 or higher about 25 - 35% of the time. I usually DO recommend that my students go for rescoring when they reach a 24 (since it means at least one of the responses was assessed as a perfect 4/4 the first time). However, on scores of 23/30 or below, I have rarely seen the score increase to 26 or higher.

By the way, the raters did NOT offer you any personal comments. The comments listed on your score report were computer generated and have nothing to do with your actual responses. Everyone with the same score on that section received the same auto-generated comments, so they really aren't useful at all.

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello cevf,

Best of luck.

Hi corey,

my score did increase to 26... Thank you very much for your suggestions!

TOEFL Results, Rescore?? Please Help!

Hi there,

Just received my scores for my TOEFL- Test. Got a 89 and just need one point more Pretty sad about that. Now I'm planning on rescoreing my test. Could someone maybe help me out and give me some advise? I'm not quiet sure which section I'm supposed to rescore. Here are my results: R 20/L 24/ S 23/ W20. Got a fair in each speaking section, a fair in writing based on reading and listening and a good in writing based on knowledge and experience. Any recommendations you can give me? I tend to rescore my writing because I have a good feeling there but most do their rescores in speaking.

What should I do?? Thanks in advance :)

• 1 year later...

Congrats dduarte, I'm pleased to know that your reached your goal at the end and got your deserved score. I am actually in the same situation right now as you were in 3 years ago. I took TOEFL IBT 4 times and in my last attempt I scored overall 99 (R-28, L-26, S-20, W-25) as you did, but I need a minimum of 100 to be admitted into university I want to. I am really depressed right now and trying to make a decision about whether requesting rescoring to get score improvement of 1 point or satisfying with this score. But I'm not sure exactly that they can increase my score if I request rescoring. In fact, I'm afraid they can decrease it. Moreover, I'm not sure about requesting rescoring for which section, whether Speaking or Writing. For Speaking, I scored 20 which means that I got four 3 points and two 2 points, but I am not confident that I did well in Speaking. On the other hand, in writing I scored 25 which means that I got 4 out of 5 in both essays, but I think that they would give me at least 4.5 points in my second essay which would increase my score to 27. However, I am not sure exactly what to do by now. Your experiences and opinions can be valuable and helpful for me to make decision about rescoring. Thanks in advance for your support.

Best Regards,

Ayaz657

Ayaz, an answer to your question is here: http://www.www.urch.com/forums/toefl/146216-toefl-ibt-speaking-rescore-24-26-a-2.html Given the additional information you have provided here, and based on your previous scores, you should consider requesting a rescore for the Writing Section. I could give you more definite advice if you provide all your previous scores for Speaking and Writing.

Andrew, thank you for your response and advice. I have read your another reply in given link. Actually, it was my fourth attempt and in previous tests also I scored low in Speaking section and it was my best yet (15-18-19-20). In the speaking section, I didn't like my performance after test is over and think that 20 is normal result for my responses. My performance for the speaking section was measured as fair in all three separate parts of speaking (independent, campus and lectures). I firstly thought about to choose which section to rescore, but chance of increasing 25 is unlikely compared to increasing 20, therefore I considered rescoring speaking. But I am more confident in writing than speaking, my performance for writing was measured as good in both essays, however I think my second essay at least would be given 4.5 which would increase my score to 27, but it is just risky to hope to get increase from 25 which is already good score. And here is my my detailed scores in the previous tests:

T1 - 85 (R-26, L-22, S-15, W-22)

T2 - 91 (R-27, L-21, S-18, W-25)

T3 - 97 (R-27, L-26, S-19, W-25)

T4 - 99 (R-28, L-26, S-20, W-25)

I hope it can give broader picture about my situation. Thanks in advance for your response.

BR,

Ayaz657

Ayaz, based on your previous scores and your feelings about the test, I would recommend that you not re-score either of them, but just continue improving. You are showing consistent improvement, and the 100 is right around the corner for you. All the best to you.