Urch Forums

TOEFL SPEAKING AND WRITING - ADVICE?

Moon84

Hi Everyone,

My goal is to get 24-25 in Speaking, 25-26 in Writing. I looked up through the Forum and my actual target seems really hard to be reached. (oh, poor me!) Do you have any useful suggestions? I'm practicing daily, yet my slow-thinker attitude is not so helpful during this test, where rapidity plays a powerful role, indeed! In other words, in the speaking part for instance, often time I get stuck, simply because I don't know WHAT to say. I found some of the questions being really personal and tricky thereby, my brain goes in totally black-out.

Please, advice!

Hi Moon84,

Although I believe with the right materials it's possible to study TOEFL reading and listening on your own, I think it's nearly impossible to do so with writing and speaking. I recommend you look for either a group class or a TOEFL tutor in your area who knows the test well and can give you constructive feedback on your writing and live coaching on your speaking.

By the way, you won't be able to get a 25 in speaking since the scaled scores jump from 24/30 to 26/30 (there is no 25/30 on the speaking section, but you could get exactly 25/30 in writing if you score 4.0 on both of your TOEFL essays).

Best of luck.

Dear TOEFL Corey,

Thank you so much for your cogent response and all your advices. I am currently working with an American, who is helping me to foster my essay skills. Furthermore, my husband is an English speaker, who doesn't speak my native language...in other words, I speak English 24/7! That being said, my English still needs improvements in many aspects. I find TOEFL being challenging mainly because the time (but not only for that, of course). I am a slow-thinker with low confidence and this is hurting my ability to develop quick sentences/ideas. Plus, some personal questions get me emotional, indeed.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...