Urch Forums

600-580-710: Phoenix rises

getsetgo

Finally 710: Q(50,94%) [clap],V(35,74%) :(

I finished my GMAT journey today. Although my score is not gr8,but I am happy with it :D. I'll post my debrief soon. Now too busy with beer :crazy:

Friends,

Just came back from office, I would like to share ups and downs of my GMAT journey

I am just an average Joe, whatever I have achieved so far, namely, an undergraduate degree from India’s most prestigious engineering institute (IIT), 96 percentile in CAT exam (IIM exam: Indian institute of management) and my recent GMAT score (710) are all through hardwork. I don’t have the brilliancy factor in me. My proficiency level in written English is just average (you’ll, anyway guess that from my debriefing :D.).

First Attempt: Oct 2007 ,Score: 600 (Q47, V26),GMATPrep scores: 600, 610

References: Princeton’s cracking the GMAT, OG 11

Preparation duration: 3 weeks, 2 hrs /day

I wanted to rush for ISB’s application, so gave my shot at GMAT. As my GMATPrep scores revealed, nothing short of miracle could have saved me from a disaster, but miracle happens only in fairy tales and this is real materialistic world, a GMAT world.

Lessons learnt:

(1) It is just wastage of money and time giving GMAT without proper preparation (ofcourse “proper preparation” is a relative term and varies person to person).

(2) I can manage Quant, but require lot of practice in verbal.

Comments on reference materials:

(1)“Princeton cracking the GMAT” is good for beginners, if you are starting your preparation down from scratch, Princeton is a good bet, but if you already have a head start, don’t waste your time and money on it.

(2)OG11: It’s a bible for GMAT.

Second Attempt: Aug 2008 ,Score: 580 (Q45, V25), GMATPrep scores: 690,720

References: 1000 series, OG11, Kaplan tests

Preparation duration: 2 months, 3-4 hrs/day

I got motivation from one of my colleague, who was preparing for GMAT then. I downloaded 1000 series (SC, CR and RC) from esnips and REALLY worked hard. I work as a consultant (full time employee) in a European Telecom company, along with that I have to manage my daily chores (cooking, cleaning….curses on bachelors); 3-4 hours / day on studies really taxes life. Anyway, I forgot my social life and drowned myself into studies. In coherence with my GMATPrep scores, I was expecting a score between 680 and 710, but what I got was a complete disaster.

Lessons learnt:

(1)Some days are bad, but that’s not end of world.

Comments on reference materials:

(1) 1000 series are excellent resource. But you should know the logic behind considering or rejecting an answer choice. Working on 1000’s of question without a clear understanding won’t help.

(2) Kaplan’s test: Quant is too simple to be merited for >Q45 range. Verbal is good. Scoring algorithm is way far from realty.

Third Attempt: Jan 26, 2009 ,Score: 710 (Q50, V35), GMATPrep scores: 720,720

References: OG10, OG11, Manhattan SC, Kaplan 800, PowerPrep CR,TestMagic forums

Preparation duration: 2 months, 2 hrs/day, Saturday (Test +evaluation, 21/2 hrs+4 hrs), Sunday revision (2 hrs)

I was completely shattered because of my second attempt’s result . I didn’t know what to do. From somewhere I got hold of “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho, the novel motivated me for another try. Anyway under that situation, I didn’t have anything to loose. So after remaining in dilemma for three months, I decided to give another shot. This time I wanted a different approach. I went through the success stories of other people on TestMagic forum and jotted down the invariably common things among those.

(1) OG10, OG11

(2) Manhattan SC guide

(3) GMAT prep

(4) Keep your nerve cool during the exam

OG gives wonderful explanations on why a choice is wrong or right. Earlier I used to focus only on correct choice, but this time I gave equal attention to the explanation of wrong choices. Along with OGs and other materials, I participated in TestMagic question forums. I used to check the question, solve it and submit explanation, before scrolling and checking other people’s explanation. This really helped me as I learned from my mistakes and shortcuts given by other people. guys such as Effective_factor, genius, bear & bull, Makumajon provide good explanations and witty shortcuts. No need to mention Erin and bob are gods of the TestMagic forum. I am thankful to these guys.

Test Experience:

(1) Got easy topics in AWA, wrote 4-5 indented paragraphs, deliberately added heavy words such as jeopardy, juxtaposition etc :D..

(2) Quant: Till Q10 it was an easy cake after that ETS started throwing bouncers, got few probability questions, I got bowled on one or two of those, just made a guess and moved, finished the section 1 min before time.

(3) Verbal: Till Q8, all went fine, then ETS threw a RC passage, which was directly from queen’s palace. I took 10-12 mins to solve it, there started my pitfall. Anyway I gathered my concentration and moved forward, got a bold face CR, some strengthen or weaken CRs(normal), a long passage and two average (3 paras), SCs of OG10 standard.

This is all about my GMAT journey….

all the best!

hi get set go, first of all i congratulate you for the good score that you got. I was interested by what you wrote in your debrief "I am just an average Joe, whatever I have achieved so far, namely, an undergraduate degree from India’s post prestigious engineering institute (IIT), 96 percentile in CAT exam (IIM exam: Indian institute of management) and my recent GMAT score (710) are all through hardwork. I don’t have the brilliancy factor in me"

this is the 1st time that i have come across any person who has said that he's got through the iit's because of his hard work and got 99 percentile in cat, in that case i would require some help and guidance from you. How should i improve my mathematics? i am really weak and i need someone's guidance on which book to use and where to study from?

getsetgo can you help me with this problem, after my 1st attempt in which i got a meagre 590 ( Aug '08) i have decided to revise NCERT books from Class 6 to Class 10 ( just bought the class 7th book yesterday!!!). Do you think by doing this i will be able to improve my score in GMAT. i have even changed my name on this site( as suggested by a memeber from mathphobia to iwillget750.

Can you help me?

your debriefing is as inspiring as alchemist

nice work man

as you have given the gmat thrice i have few questions that i want to ask you on the resources that you have used

what would you suggest for a guy who has used all his resources and still has a month or so to take the test?

if the two practice full length tests in gmat prep are exhausted then what are the other full length cat test that replicate the real deal ?

hi get set go, first of all i congratulate you for the good score that you got. I was interested by what you wrote in your debrief "I am just an average Joe, whatever I have achieved so far, namely, an undergraduate degree from India’s post prestigious engineering institute (IIT), 96 percentile in CAT exam (IIM exam: Indian institute of management) and my recent GMAT score (710) are all through hardwork. I don’t have the brilliancy factor in me"

this is the 1st time that i have come across any person who has said that he's got through the iit's because of his hard work and got 99 percentile in cat, in that case i would require some help and guidance from you. How should i improve my mathematics? i am really weak and i need someone's guidance on which book to use and where to study from?

getsetgo can you help me with this problem, after my 1st attempt in which i got a meagre 590 ( Aug '08) i have decided to revise NCERT books from Class 6 to Class 10 ( just bought the class 7th book yesterday!!!). Do you think by doing this i will be able to improve my score in GMAT. i have even changed my name on this site( as suggested by a memeber from mathphobia to iwillget750.

Can you help me?

Thanks Dear...

it's a good idea to revise the elementary maths from the school textbooks,but I would suggest not to waste too much time on those. just learn the basic principles. GMAT embeds those basic principles with advance logics. you may try this plan after you finish revision of textbooks .

Level 1: Only PS of Princeton and OG 11 first 100 qstns

Level 2: Both PS and DS of Kaplan, SETS,OGs(all qstns)

Level 3: Quant section of MGMAT tests

download an excel sheet named "TestGrid4GMAT" from enips(don't remember exactly). You can time your practice sessions using it. If you are not able to locate it, provide me your mail id,I'll forward it to you.

your debriefing is as inspiring as alchemist

nice work man

as you have given the gmat thrice i have few questions that i want to ask you on the resources that you have used

what would you suggest for a guy who has used all his resources and still has a month or so to take the test?

if the two practice full length tests in gmat prep are exhausted then what are the other full length cat test that replicate the real deal ?

I tried Kaplan, Princeton and MGMAT tests. IMO MGMAT is best among those, both in term of quality and scoring algorithm. I find MGMAT's quant tougher than the real stuff, but Verbal is of similar level.

I'll wait for your debriefing man, I know you'll rock.

• 2 years later...
Thanks Dear...

it's a good idea to revise the elementary maths from the school textbooks,but I would suggest not to waste too much time on those. just learn the basic principles. GMAT embeds those basic principles with advance logics. you may try this plan after you finish revision of textbooks .

Level 1: Only PS of Princeton and OG 11 first 100 qstns

Level 2: Both PS and DS of Kaplan, SETS,OGs(all qstns)

Level 3: Quant section of MGMAT tests

download an excel sheet named "TestGrid4GMAT" from enips(don't remember exactly). You can time your practice sessions using it. If you are not able to locate it, provide me your mail id,I'll forward it to you.

Can you please mail me ?

Can you please mail me ?

Since that thread is quite old, I thought I'd mention that I created an Excel file that corresponds to the GMAT Official Guide (12th edition). It lets you track your progress and it helps you identify weaknesses in certain areas.

I call the file the GMAT Prep Now Improvement Chart and you can find it in the Resources section of my site (GMATPrepNow)

Cheers,

Brent

• 2 years later...