Urch Forums

New to the LSAT - How long do I need to study?

revrocksteady

Hey everyone,

I am brand new to the world of the LSAT. I have an MBA and was previous thinking of going for my doctorate, but have had a change in heart over the last year. Now I am trying to sift through and figure out what I need to do for my LSAT.

How long will I need to study? Since it is March now, Should I register for a June date or wait till I have started studying first?

October seems really far away, but I am not sure how people study for the exam. I was recently laid off so I have 100% of my time to study. Though I am a historically bad test taker . . . Thoughts? I know the GMAT, but still getting my footing with the LSAT sections.

What do people think?

Perhaps you could take an official practice test, under timed conditions, and see how close you get to your target score. From what I've read at another forum: if you're within 10-12 points of your target score, then 3 months of daily practice may be enough. If you're farther off, you may need some more time. Some folks on there insist that improvements of up to 25-30 points are possible for some people, given enough practice. They also seem to be in general agreement that the 'PowerScore' line of prep books is the way to go.