Urch Forums

Improving www.urch.com: What should I add?

Erin

What would you like to see on www.urch.com?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see on www.urch.com?

• A database of test scores, admits and rejections, etc.
    • A way to take practice tests online
    • Interviews and profiles
    • More social networking functions
    • A better look

I'm going to invest some time into beefing up the offerings that we have here on www.urch.com, and I thought it would be good to ask the forum members for suggestions.

Here are some of the things I've been thinking about:

• A database/tracker for applications, admits, etc. For example, who got in where and what scores they had. You know what I mean.
  • Quiz functions with practice questions.
  • Interviews with successful applicants, admissions officers, test prep instructors, etc.
  • Social networking functions (take a look at the www.urch.com homepage to see what I've been playing with).
  • Making the site look better.

What am I missing? Are there any killer apps out there? Any great functions you'd like to see more of?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think that there are two extremely important things to do.

First of all, move back all the posts and users that are missing. After such "upgrade" many of my friends do not exist anymore in the users database. Neither around 600 of my posts made during the last year. I guess I'm not the only one, am I?

Secondly, move back smiling asian faces in the header! At least to me, those were the brightest association with TestMagic ever. At least Erin, I think you should make photos of other people if you don't want those. These students were good representation of the idea of "preparing together and successfully passing the test". That's how I see it so far.

Surely, there are a lot of other ideas, but in my opinion, those mentioned now is that has to be done in the first place.

Haha, the smiling Asian faces. I'm still in touch with those two people. The girl told me that people still come up to her and comment that they saw her on the forums.

Yes, I'm working on getting the forums redesigned. First, I need to get the functions working properly. Also, this new software is apparently very hard to customize. There are rumors that the company will rework the way that the look and customizations are done.

I'm trying to get the data back. I'm not even sure whether it'll be possible, but I'll try.

I think there is a need for caution in the development of the new gizmos to ensure that forums don't suffer in the process.

What has happened with www.urch.com is a case in point. I'm not sure what the objective of this page is, how much traffic it gets or how people are expected to know it even exists. What I have noticed, though, is that posts made on that page were originally duplicated in English Forum. Later posts have only been in www.urch.com (from where there is no link to forums) and the English forum appears to be being neglected in favour of the new arrival.

As for www.urch.com--I need to flesh out my ideas a bit. I figured that putting something up there would be better than the silly lines of text I had up there for several years.

I believe that I did not post any duplicate content on the two sites; I was actually simply experimenting with adding content in different places to see how people would respond to it in different places. A bit of background to explain--I send out 'word of the day' email newsletter every day; in that email, I experimented with putting links to www.urch.com and to www.urch.com/forums so that people could discuss the words. Neither method was very successful, and both methods were somewhat time-consuming. I'm not sure where I should head with this, to be honest.

For a long time, I've been wanting to add a dictionary function to our site. I've contacted some dictionary publishers, but haven't heard back yet. I may need to use some open-source dictionaries instead.

• 1 year later...
Admission/Rejections database for sure!!!! Always need to check the GradCafe for it.

Nevertheless, keep the good work. Congrats!

'brigadão. :) (A big thanks!)

Yes, that's what I've been thinking. I'm going to make that a priority.

Erin

BTW, it would be very helpful if the program to which the person is applying to (or even already attending) could be also displayed (in addition to the Avatar Picture/Join Date/Location/#Posts/Rep Power/etc). Many times I read a post and try to realize whether that person is on the same field, already attending, etc. It would help a lot.

Thanks.

P.S.: 'brigadão??!?! Did you live in Brazil for a while?

BTW, it would be very helpful if the program to which the person is applying to (or even already attending) could be also displayed (in addition to the Avatar Picture/Join Date/Location/#Posts/Rep Power/etc). Many times I read a post and try to realize whether that person is on the same field, already attending, etc. It would help a lot.

Thanks.

Yes, that might be helpful. I might add it; haven't decided for sure one way or the other.

P.S.: 'brigadão??!?! Did you live in Brazil for a while?
Oh yeah! Rio, three years. Where are you from?