Urch Forums

BAM! I received a score of 26 on the speaking section

knok

Another tip is that listening to American English all the time. The requirement on listening section is tricky to all foreign pharmacy graduates. We see that NABP requires only a score of 18 on the listening section so we do not pay attention to this part but, actually, listening is the key to do well on the speaking section. During listening to the listening passages on question 3-6, if you don't understand or if you miss some points, you will not be able to talk or summarize correctly. Practice listening on the listening section will help you as well. This practice will help you with the first question of the writing section as well.

Don't talk to your friends from your home country or stop talking in your native language for at least one month. When you practice, try to get a partner(s) from other countries that use other language. Your brain will be able to create networks about a new accent(American) faster this way. This is the tip from my pronunciation prefessor.

When you finish one question, let it go. Don't go back to think about it. You cannot return to correct it. It will only hurt your scores to rethink about things that you cannot change. Move forward.

Edited by knok

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Knok,

Congratulations , I can imagine how excited you might be on this achievement. I am going through the toefl frustration from past eight years.

I read in your mail that you are in washington, and got your WA license. I am in washington too. I live in redmond, WA. Is there any way we can meet? I would really like help from you and also like to know which tutors you went to. I would appreciate your help.

Vrush.

Nipu,

Same to you. I know only that the economy is getting worse and worse.

I just got back from San Francisco. My neighbor just lost his job from Phillip. February last year, twenty apartments were vacant since Microsoft and Boeing downsized. However, another friend of mine just got a job from microsoft last Friday. I don't think that the economy will pick up quickly. Even though it becomes better, it will never be the same. Healthcare seems to be more stable than other industries though. I will start posting my resume today. I have my resume long time ago. I am sure that you will get a job soon.

Hello Knok,

Congratulations , I can imagine how excited you might be on this achievement. I am going through the toefl frustration from past eight years.

I read in your mail that you are in washington, and got your WA license. I am in washington too. I live in redmond, WA. Is there any way we can meet? I would really like help from you and also like to know which tutors you went to. I would appreciate your help.

Vrush.

vrushnaik,

I studied at Kaplan in Seattle.

I went to San Francisco and I wish I could do that long time ago. My aunt lived there. My two uncles passed away and lived in peace in San Francisco near Stanford. This time, I didn't even have time to visit her. Life was full of surprises and obstacles. I went to San Francisco 15 years ago. Tt was not as busy as today. I had a lot of places in my mind to visit before I left but once I spent two and a half hours getting lost and could not find a hotel on the first day, I felt too tired to go anywhere the next day. I had a GPS but the car battery charger was broken so my GPS was dead.

I only went to Fisherman's Wharf. My friend made me walk there even though I rented a car, we decided to park at the hotel instead after talking to the hotel concierge. I spent one hour walking up and down the hill from market street. I regret that I decided to walk. I stay in Fisherman Wharf only 15 minutes after spending one hour walking. It was very crowded. Probably, life is like that. We may enjoy or suffer walking along the path more than the goal itself.

The next day, I went to stay in Concord area. It was very peace, clean, and magnificient. I enjoyed Walnut Creek areas very much. It reminded me about Redmond Town center in Seattle.

I also had a great opportunity to meet Erin, the owner and administrator of the testmagic forum. He was so kind and polite. I can assure you guys that you are in the right forum. We are around nice and highly educated people.

However, we realize our happiness only when we have faced obstacles. No matter what happens in our lives, put it in a good perspective. Eventually, we will know how to deal with it correctly.

Enjoy your journey. :) :love:

Edited by knok

Before I forget, on question 3-6, during listening to the passages, please paraphrase and write down new words on your note immediately. Write your important words on thesis statement, supporting ideas, and conclusion. You should be able to prepare and finish about 90%of your notes that you understand during listening because you have 3-5 minutes to prepare (The conversation runs about 3-5 minutes. Sometimes, speakers talked about something unimportant so you have to time to think and analyze.) If you prepare during 20-30 seconds of your preparation time, you will not have enough time to think and you already forget what they were talking about. You may miss important information. Practice short note repetitive words that are always in speaking section such lab eqip, prof., lect note, awards (awds), marketing (mkt), biology department (bio dept), strategies(strg). good(+), bad (-). If they were in past tense, put "ed" so that you will not forget to pronounce "ed".:) Edited by knok

• 1 month later...

Hi Mr. Renshaw,

Thank you for your full support. I am here. I just finished my rough quarter a few days ago. My aunt is visiting me and will go on a cruise to Alaska. I wish I could be with her on a cruise. I am in a period of resting after having 4 hours of sleep on and off for 2 weeks. I still have another big project (web site development) that needs to be done by next week, not for school but community service.

Thanks again for your wishes. I sent you an email about a month ago. I don't know whether it may be thrown out to the spam of your inbox or not. I need to send you a gift to thank you for helping me on my test.

I am here and will be here to cheer up everybody:tup::boxing:. [bounce]

However, don't study too hard. We have life ahead of us.

Edited by knok

Hi Mr. Renshaw:

I don't think that it is enough for you. You have helped many people and you deserve a tangible gift from me. I can't imagine taking TOEFL iBT speaking without watching your videos and all materials. I might have had taken it forever. I was so depressed when I took the exams. I got really sick and tired because of it. I can't thank you enough. You will be in students' heart forever. My life has changed since I started the FPGEE process. Some of my friends told me that the TSE and TOEFL changed me. I am still celebrating my success. My friends are like fish out of water who have a chance to be in the water again when they know that I passed the test. They took me out almost every night until I have to say to myself "stop it". I have been in ' girls gone wild ' mode whenever a school project being done. Yeah, I have been burnt out from all my study. That is the reason. Now, everyone knows that I have no school work. They have been waiting for my "no school" for a long time. I am very glad that I have these days finally. The past 6 summers, I sat either in my study room or class room studying for the English test with no outside world life.

I owed you a lot for letting me have these days, Mr. Renshaw, even though a life ahead in the workforce is not easy. I can move forward. :) Please let me have a chance to show the gesture of my appreciation to you. I planned to travel to as many countries as possible. Of course, Australia is one of my destinations. I hope to see your family and you if I have a chance. I know that it is a good feeling when we know that someone appreciates our hard work. Please keep up the good work. You can change the world. :notworthy

For everyone who is taking the test, I wish you all the best and have courage and wisdom to deal with it. Do what you have to do. No matter what it takes to get there. I will be with you as long as the forum admin does not chase me away...hi.hi...[banana]

:luck2:

Cheers!

Knok :love:

Edited by knok

About the speaking section, again, I don't feel comfortable memorizing any format and go to take the test. A disadvantage of memorizing the format of question 1-6 exactly word by word make me feel like a robot. When I talk, it does not come naturally. I prefer talking in a conversational tone better. Memorize what to say such as main ideas, not word by word. We should have pause and enanciation, like we are talking with a friend. This way, I can talk faster than memorizing word by word format. Moreover, as TSEprep mentioned before, the raters listen to those answers all day, we have to make them feel that we are talking to them, not using mumbling speech in monotone which is kind of boring .

When you try to memorize something in a real test, I believe, it reduces productivity on how to create new words. We have to practice until we can memorize them automatically. As my friend who took the test for 18 times, before passing it, told me to watch Mr. Renshaw's videos and then memorize main ideas by heart. So, we need to watch it every day. There are also some good videos in youtube if you need variety of techniques. This will keep you busy preparing for the test.

Best wishes,

Knok

Hi everyone,

I would like to remind you to read the writing book from Barron (examples of 185 questions).

It is on No. 11. Barron's Writing for the TOEFL iBT: with Audio CD (Barron's How to Prepare for the Computer-Based Toefl Essay) (Paperback)

By Lin Lougheed (Author)

Amazon.com: Barron's Writing for the TOEFL iBT: with Audio CD (Barron's How to Prepare for the Computer-Based Toefl Essay) (9780764195570): Lin Lougheed: Books

It will help you with the content of question no 1 and 2. Also, the phrases in that book are very helpful on learning English. Some of us translate directly from our language to English but the sentence structures are wrong, or awkward. If we use this kind of mistake on the exam, we will not get a score of 4 on those questions. Please read it every day and make short notes or summarize them, question by question. Set the timer for 45 seconds and speak. I did summarize it and practiced with my American tutor until I was not nervous to talk about all this content when I saw the questions. Some of you may think that the questions have changed but the way the questions ask will be the same, only ETS plays with words to confuse us.

For writing, the best book is Priceton Review, Cracking TOEFL.

Check my blog entry for the complete list of TOEFL speaking books.

I will get back to work again this Monday. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to post it here so that I can answer them here. This way, my answers will benefit everybody and I don't have to repeat myself. Last quarter, talking 4 classes at the school worn me out.

Happy the Fourth of July.

Cheers! :D

Knok

Edited by knok

Hi folks,

I know that the result is out today for June 26, 2010. This test would be your last test for FPGEC candidates who live outside the USA.

I would like to give support and good wishes to everybody who needs a score of 26 on speaking but could not get it. Please rescore your test. Keep your spirit high. I know that it is hard but there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

Some of us may feel devastated and victimized to ETS. It is a normal feeling. At this moment, I am crying with you. I can understand your frustrations. I am with you guys, folks. I had this feeling before. We need to be strong.

Life is full of challenges and surprises. God had plans for us. Believe me! ;)

Best wishes,

Knok

Edited by knok

• 3 weeks later...
congratulations too^^! uhm........you seem to study so hard so you are deserve to get that score. I wonder if you have sometimes because i'm looking for some partners who can practice speaking with me (i have not taken the test yet and wanted to do so:) ) . If you could or knew someone could do that plz give me a private message. My speaking right now is not so good and i really want to improve that. Again wish you best luck in life.

congratulations too^^! uhm........you seem to study so hard so you are deserve to get that score. I wonder if you have sometimes because i'm looking for some partners who can practice speaking with me (i have not taken the test yet and wanted to do so:) ) . If you could or knew someone could do that plz give me a private message. My speaking right now is not so good and i really want to improve that. Again wish you best luck in life

Hi Jane Le,

The best way to improve is to get professional help. Even a native speaker cannot score 26 easily. If you are not a native speaker and have to compete with them, you have to be well-prepared. The cost of the exam is way too expensive to take without good preparation.

Many people posted in this forum and asked for speaking partners, please send private message to ask them. I have a very busy schedule and in the process of preparing for NAPLEX and Internship again. Yeap! my eyebrows will be closed together again. I hate the feeling of stress even though my friends here dragged me out of my study room every day.

Anyone has questions, please post them here so that I don't have to repeat myself. I turn off private message because I don't want you guys to feel that I ignore you when I forget to answer those messages.

Cheers! :tup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi knok,

Congratulations for passing the toefl. I know how you feel because I have the same predicament like yours

And i'm glad you overcomed the exam. Can you please give me some advice i've been getting 24 for my speaking. My score for the two independent task are not bad 3.5 to 4 but i usually get 2.5 to 3 for the rest. It's been so frustrating and i would really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance. I'm making it my number 1 goal for 2011 to pass this. God bless.

Edited by Sototo

Sototo,

Thank you for congrat. Please read my previous posts on this thread. I posted a lot of tips in here. A score of 24 or 26 is not that much different. You need to get a score of 4 on one more question. That's about it. Don't look on the total score. Focus on getting 4 out of 4 on 2 questions and 3 ( high 3) out of 4 on 4 questions.

Good luck on your test. I am very frustrated with finding the Internship. It is not the right time to pursue FPGEE certificate. At least, I got it and don't have to retake this silly test over and over.