Urch Forums

210-Q ... I'm so confused

Erin

This is one of my favorite forum threads ever. It's very inspirational. Google has a cache of it, so I'm going to try to recover some of it here. There are 22 pages, so I don't think I'll be able to get everything. (For those who are wondering what I'm talking about--our forum lost some data. Some posts were lost. This is one of them.)

Originally posted by Luma:

Hello Everybody,

I'd like to thank you all for your support during my GRE preparation, I made my test however the result was very confusing here what happened:

First Section Quantitative: the questions were ridiculously easy ... I dawdled at the beginning (I was reading the questions twice and do them twice) and ended guessing the last 4 questions, nevertheless, I saw many analysis reports, the last questions don't affect the performance that much.

Second Section: Verbal ... I found it neutral but the RCs were difficult.

Third Section: Quantitative, and it says it is a research section and it won't be calculated, etc. I just looked at the questions and answered randomly.

Then I got my results:

Verbal: I'm embarrassed to mention it but it is plausible

Quantitative: 210 ... I'm very confused ... nobody should get this score unless he/she doesn't answer any question correctly, right? I used to score in the upper 600 in powerprep and the upper 500 in Kaplan ... in my very first pp test I scored 630 although the time finished before I completed the test.

Anybody heard of a similar situation? I heard a story about a person got a very very difficult test so he appealed.

What confused me more ... the quantitative were very easy ... based on the reports that I reviewed ... the system kept on generating difficult questions even when you mess up till some stage ... non of the questions were difficult ... even easier than the powerprep ...

Is it possible that the system somehow scored the research section??

BTW, I'm still in the shock phase.

Here's more, also from Luma.

I just emailed the ETS, and explained what happened with me and asked about the appealing process ...

I am very shocked ... I can't believe that I didn't get a stroke or heart attack!!! I know that I messed up in the last 4 or 5 questions but even though at least I should get 400, 500 or 600 optimistically but not 210 !!!!!!

The third section was experimental and it was marked as research section, it has special instruction and it said that those who scores the top would be awarded ... so just for curiosity I viewed the questions and checked answered randomly ...

I just emailed the ETS, and explained what happened with me and asked about the appealing process ...

I am very shocked ... I can't believe that I didn't get a stroke or heart attack!!! I know that I messed up in the last 4 or 5 questions but even though at least I should get 400, 500 or 600 optimistically but not 210 !!!!!!

The third section was experimental and it was marked as research section, it has special instruction and it said that those who scores the top would be awarded ... so just for curiosity I viewed the questions and checked answered randomly ...

Nevertheless ... for those who are going to write GRE ...

Focus on the Coordinate geometry, I got at least 5 questions on this topic.

Tip: at the beginning of the test, when you fill the background information, they will ask you whether you would like to participate in the research section, I advise to choose YES, in this way, the last section would be "research experiment" not a third uncovered section, at least that happened with me 2 times.

Finally ... Good Luck THYAG on your test tomorrow ;)

I guess that I won't take GRE again ... I'll search for school that doesn't require GRE (hopefully to get accepted in Purdue).

Thanks Everybody!

More tip: during the test, if you ran out of scratch paper, and you raised your hand but the proctor didn't respond ... you can scratch on your passport :) I was about doing that but the proctor came :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Whatever happened with the appeal? It sounds like something really screwed up.

After couple of days an advocate from ETS contacted me and said that nothing was wrong with the test, etc. I still believe somebody missed up and they were covering.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
good for you.. :rolleyes: but can you help me somewhat abt GRE verbal. i am so nervous related to verbal GRE and my exam is on 9th.sept . specially i cant do any right answer of sentence competition... what will happen with me.. is it really hard .

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...