Urch Forums

Tips to score high in reading/speaking and writing.

Manzor

Hey guys!

Here, I would like to present a little guide from me, which can help to prep for reading,writing and speaking section of TOEFL test.

Before we move on, it's good to start practicing this way a MONTH or 2 before the test. Otherwise, it might not have a greater impact on your skills.

So, lets move on!

What you need.

1)20-30 mins per day

2)Science News, Articles and Information | Scientific American

3)Patience :D

Every morning, go to Science News, Articles and Information | Scientific American and read their awesome articles!

Why?

1) Read REAL Academic/Scientific English which you will see during TOEFL test.

2)it shares exactly the same structure of TOEFL passages (Each article consists of ~600 words and 7 paragraphs)

3)Vocabulary.

The Way.

1)Read (ONLY) one paragraph by one!

2)Here goes speaking/reading. Speak loud about

a)Main topic of article(paraphrase)

b)how does author presented his ideas.(research,statistics,event...)

c)Analyze structure of each paragraph. What is stated in the beginning, middle and end.

d)Try to find examples/other theories/hypothesises and state their relation to article.

e)Sum it up. Speak about article's importance and what should be undertaken(according to author) in order to..."article's topic"

3)Here goes writing.

Simply put down sophisticated expressions, which might be used during essay. It's a good idea to organize these expressions, according to their possible place in essay.i.e introduction/body/conclusion.

I hope it helps ya :D

P.S I dont state that it's a revolutionary way. I simply post a detailed overview of my prep, which helped me to score what I needed :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hey guys!

Here, I would like to present a little guide from me, which can help to prep for reading,writing and speaking section of TOEFL test.

Before we move on, it's good to start practicing this way a MONTH or 2 before the test. Otherwise, it might not have a greater impact on your skills.

So, lets move on!

What you need.

1)20-30 mins per day

2)Science News, Articles and Information | Scientific American

3)Patience :D

Every morning, go to Science News, Articles and Information | Scientific American and read their awesome articles!

Why?

1) Read REAL Academic/Scientific English which you will see during TOEFL test.

2)it shares exactly the same structure of TOEFL passages (Each article consists of ~600 words and 7 paragraphs)

3)Vocabulary.

The Way.

1)Read (ONLY) one paragraph by one!

2)Here goes speaking/reading. Speak loud about

a)Main topic of article(paraphrase)

b)how does author presented his ideas.(research,statistics,event...)

c)Analyze structure of each paragraph. What is stated in the beginning, middle and end.

d)Try to find examples/other theories/hypothesises and state their relation to article.

e)Sum it up. Speak about article's importance and what should be undertaken(according to author) in order to..."article's topic"

3)Here goes writing.

Simply put down sophisticated expressions, which might be used during essay. It's a good idea to organize these expressions, according to their possible place in essay.i.e introduction/body/conclusion.

I hope it helps ya :D

P.S I dont state that it's a revolutionary way. I simply post a detailed overview of my prep, which helped me to score what I needed :D

Thank you for your post. It 's really useful to me. I will take the TOEFL test Sep 12 next, but I don't know how to practice. Now I know. Thank you

• 1 month later...
I want to know the timing for reading.I know it is around 60 minutes for 3 passages. Does the computer actually divide the time for each passage (20 mins) or we can use the left over time from one passage to use it in another passage?

Peace,...

even if it is to late, put replying to your query, that time (60minutes), is for total reading section, which means that you can use the left time from one passage to read and answer another passage and it's questions but within the roof of this 60 minutes.

good luck for all.

• 4 months later...
In my opinion, additionally to this effort, in order to increase reading score, we must do practice as mush as possible with real or similar questions and timely. Because They are asking really tricky questions and we should be ready for it. And always try with 5 reading passages 20+40+40 minutes periods. That is what you see if you don't get 3 passages.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Another good tip for the reading which works for me in preparing for the TOEFL: Dont bother reading the whole passage before you start answering the questions because of time constraints. I just read the first sentence of each passage to have a general idea of what the passage is about., then start answering the questions. Since each question tells us what paragraph it refers to, we can then read that paragragh to answer the questions. That way I finish the questions with 2 or 3 minutes to spare and I can use that time to review.

For the speaking its important to keep to time even as we are practising , that helps to develop concise answers and one will be able to speak within the alloted time on the test day. Best of luck everyone.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

if you want to improve your score, I highly suggest practicing on the EduSynch platform - not only does it have free questions for reading and listening, but they also have full simulations with TOEFL certified evaluators so you can get your exact projected score - I highly recommend

-everything in the simulation is the same as the TOEFL iBT- the instructions, the format, the timing- the perfect way to gain confidence before the real test